The 'Quick question' Thread

DrKarnivore

Browsing your web and SMS history
Staff member
two questions.
What is retro fitting? I have a rough idea but I'm not 100%
and Secondly do you guys run solid state pedals in front of your TUBE amps?
Fitting something after the thing your fitting to is already built or old. Like retro fitting new pickups etc.

All pedals are solid state.......apart from maybe the odd tube booster in existence, so it's impossible not to.

Fitting something after the thing your fitting to is already built or old. Like retro fitting new pickups etc.

All pedals are solid state.......apart from maybe the odd tube booster in existence, so it's impossible not to.
Sorry I meant like distortion/overdrive pedals instead of the actual overdrive on the amp?

ajhorsburgh

Sorry I meant like distortion/overdrive pedals instead of the actual overdrive on the amp?
I do both. It turns my 3 channel TSL into a 6 channel amp. I've got two OD pedals and a saturated pedal in front of the amp.. Sometimes they get used, others they don't. Depends on how much gain / loudness I can get.

I do both. It turns my 3 channel TSL into a 6 channel amp. I've got two OD pedals and a saturated pedal in front of the amp.. Sometimes they get used, others they don't. Depends on how much gain / loudness I can get.
Yeah man I dig that I've just got a fuzz pedal, but I've got the Mxr boost if I want to really push it.
How is the Tsl btw?

ajhorsburgh

I've had it for 8 years. It doesn't get as much as it used to in the early years (not in a gigging band atm) but having three channels is great, it's cleans are great and the gain channels sound heavy. I'm getting back into being a guitar player (sound engineer by trade) - so any new effects will be going into the two effects loops.

Yesterday I stumbled across a recording tone similar to early djent (Chaosphere type sound), so it's still surprising me!

I've had it for 8 years. It doesn't get as much as it used to in the early years (not in a gigging band atm) but having three channels is great, it's cleans are great and the gain channels sound heavy. I'm getting back into being a guitar player (sound engineer by trade) - so any new effects will be going into the two effects loops.

Yesterday I stumbled across a recording tone similar to early djent (Chaosphere type sound), so it's still surprising me!
Ahhh sound Engineer eh? I'm soon to be doing a course a college atm on Sound engineering.
Got any sound clips of the Tsl?

ajhorsburgh

Strangely, I don't have any clips of the TSL. I've recorded other bands with it - but I'd have to check my records to see if there any I've got clips online. Should be at least one.

Are you at Adam Smith? I know a guy who helps out at a tech there. :)

Strangely, I don't have any clips of the TSL. I've recorded other bands with it - but I'd have to check my records to see if there any I've got clips online. Should be at least one.

Are you at Adam Smith? I know a guy who helps out at a tech there. :)
Sorry I missed out soon to be in that sentence haha but yeah Adam smith is where I've applied for :)

Just wondered if anyone here has met Jonny in person? and what he was like towards you if so?
I know he tends to be quite shy.
Also any Radiohead fans here?

DrKarnivore

Staff member
He was the guitarist in Radioshed, n'that. Long hair, green Telecaster (i can actually find no proof he played a green tele but i swear i saw a picture once). Like Francis Rossi only but different.
Didn't say, could have been Jonny Rotten, Jonny Morris, errr, rubber Jonny.

So yes, I like Radiohead but have only seen them live in the Pablo Honey days before they went prog.

Mouse

Sometimes a man gets carried away
He was the guitarist in Radioshed, n'that. Long hair, green Telecaster (i can actually find no proof he played a green tele but i swear i saw a picture once). Like Francis Rossi only but different.
Wasn't it a Jazzmaster or Jaguar? I have a vague memory of a Guitar World cover with pics of it. I think it was one of those offset shapes anyway.
And no I haven't met him, or seen them live, but I do enjoy a fair amount of their music.

NebraskaPL

plays jazz on a Stratocaster
Is it a good idea to go straight from 6 to 8 strings? I've always liked low registers and often found some low notes missing but I've never owned a 7-string. Now with 8-string guitars tuned to drop E the idea of having full octave below to complement the stuff I normally play is very appealing... But wouldn't it be maybe a little bit too difficult to adjust?

DrKarnivore

Staff member
Is it a good idea to go straight from 6 to 8 strings? I've always liked low registers and often found some low notes missing but I've never owned a 7-string. Now with 8-string guitars tuned to drop E the idea of having full octave below to complement the stuff I normally play is very appealing... But wouldn't it be maybe a little bit too difficult to adjust?
It's been suggested to me that going from a 6 to an 8 is easier due to the even amount of strings. Might be player specific though.....

digitalscream

It's been suggested to me that going from a 6 to an 8 is easier due to the even amount of strings. Might be player specific though.....
Yup, Jaden said exactly that when I was considering it. My problem is that I'm pretty sure I'm not going to be able to reach the 8th string (despite what Fred says).

Q: Why, when it's so easy to find like-minded musicians online, are 99% of the ones in real life asshats? I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be the other way round.

Wire_n_Wood

Part-time Superhero
I'm not the proper person to speak here, never having owned an ERG (but really wanting one), but whenever I manage to get a 7 or 8 I think I will just treat it not as a whole new instrument, but like a guitar with a staircase to a deeper level :p if that makes any sense!

Rob Silver, an old member of the forum who hasn't posted for a while (don't know why) has done a great job of mapping out scales for 7s and 8s in his blog: http://robsilverguitars.blogspot.de/ (scroll down a bit and look to the right - you'll find the resources).

We should hear from people who play ERGs: Twistedrock , Mouse . Αlso, in some threads in the vein of "Which 7 string..." Fred has given his opinion many a time. If you search the forum you'll find the answers. ;)

Voodoorider

Can spot a twat a mile away.
For me a 7 string was and sometimes still does catch me out where it's a bit confusing having the 7th string mess with your brain, especially with playing chords!

When i tried an 8 string, it completely and utterly baffled me, not even so much the extra 2 strings but the left hand felt awkward and uncomfortable as the neck is so much larger it required from what i could make out, a different approach to playing. I've never been a fan of playing thumb behind the neck much but i do it when it needs doing. when i tried an 8 string it felt like it was thumb behind or nothing!

So for me.. 7.. is manageable and a bit of a headfuck until you're used to it. 8 string, a whole different massive board of weirdness.

I effectively went straight from a 6 to an 8. I'd owned a 7 for a few months before but hardly played it, so I sold it. I had no trouble at all adjusting though. Took me a few hours of playing it to adapt to the different string spacing, and that where you anchor your hand on the bridge is different, and after that it was fine.

NebraskaPL

plays jazz on a Stratocaster
Thank you guys, you were very helpful indeed ;) I think I may try to skip 7-string and go to 11 an 8 then, when I have moneys for (yet) another guitar that is...