The Flying V Bass

I recently asked for opinions on my next build in my thread What should I make next?

Most of you voted for the resin river guitar, and that is indeed under way, but then one person voted for the flamey V bass and one person voted for a 5-string bass. I decided to combine both of those into one option, and the flying V 5-string bass was born! At least, the idea of it was....now I have to make the damn thing.

I am also working on the resin river guitar and I'll start a thread about that at some point. However, I've done quite a lot of work already on the basics of this build and today all of the main parts have taken shape.

I decided to make this a through neck, and had to scrabble around in my wood store to find pieces that were long enough for that. I worked out that the through neck should be 116 cm long, to allow for a bit of wastage, and I wanted to make it taper to avoid strange patterns along the side of the neck. Since I always like to make laminate necks, that's a bit of a challenge - it's actually pretty difficult to make a tapered piece of wood, and doubly so when it's that long. In fact, I wanted the centre stripe to taper as well as the two maple stripes, but it was too hard to do the maple and I abandoned those. Still, the padauk strip tapers enough, I think.

I had a couple of thin, flame maple tops that I butchered out of a single, thick cap. Because of the lack of depth, and to play with some Kiesel-like reveal carving, I also made a thin padauk top which will go under the maple. That should give quite a striking effect when it's carved back. The body wings will be sapele - I was thinking about various options but this was the cheapest, and I think it should look fine.

Lastly, the fretboard is ebony. That has already been cut to the exact size, calculated from the nut and bridge that I've bought for this build.

Enough bla-bla for now! Here are a couple of pictures of the pieces. Some of them have been glued together; the body wings were only roughly bandsawed out this evening, so they still need to be thicknessed, planed and cut to the right size. Still, you should get the idea!

Here's the back view:

And the top:

I haven't yet decided what colour I will stain the maple top, but we'll probably talk about that later in this build!

The body, incidentally, is slightly bigger than a normal Gibson Flying V, because I worked out that the standard guitar body isn't long enough for a bass (it'll be a normal, 34" scale length). It's probably going to be bloody heavy but I'll rout out some weight relief and cross my fingers.

Let me know what you think! :)