Reclaimed oak junior???

drittal

Nerd on the Prairie
We have a pipe yard for oil drilling in town where rail cars of pipe are unloaded for transfer to trucks. This pipe is stacked on the rail cars with rough cut birch and oak 2”x4” lumber. They are a full 2”x 4”. It’s free to take a couple boards or $5 for a whole pickup load.

So I was thinking of maybe trying to make a singlecut junior body out of it. I understand oak is very heavy, but a thin Junior should make it tolerable.lband the slab shape and no frills junior should make it easier to build for a first attempt.

The plan would be to use a warmoth neck with Gibson scale conversion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was told (I think by John Ambler when I was on the course) that oak is fine for a body but not for a neck, because it has a tendency to split along its length (I think that was the reason!). Of course, you have to deal with its hardness and weight, but that's doable. This looks like it has interesting possibilities!

I'd be quite tempted, given that these are 4" widths anyway, to try to achieve something like an old-fashioned parquet effect on the body :) Can you add anything cosmetic as a nod towards the origin of the oak planks?

drittal

Nerd on the Prairie
I was told (I think by John Ambler when I was on the course) that oak is fine for a body but not for a neck, because it has a tendency to split along its length (I think that was the reason!). Of course, you have to deal with its hardness and weight, but that's doable. This looks like it has interesting possibilities!

I'd be quite tempted, given that these are 4" widths anyway, to try to achieve something like an old-fashioned parquet effect on the body :) Can you add anything cosmetic as a nod towards the origin of the oak planks?
Interesting concept. To this point I had just been thinking of maybe using a couple of 1” strips of birch between 3 strips of oak. But I like this... maybe chevron style...
IMG_6762.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk