NPDx2: Dirt and dirt...

bad alice

Easily distracted and...OHLOOKAGUITAR!!!
I loved the vocal quality of my Ibanez WH10v2 wah
Bloody LOVED it.
What I loved a whole lot less was the slightly nasally tone it gave to my guitar when it wasn’t switched on #toneSUCK
And yep, it’s one of those once-you-notice-it-you-CAN’T-NOT-notice-it things so, after looking into getting it modded to true bypass and THEN realising that the innards of an Ibanez WH10v2 do not lend them themselves well to such ideas #expensive I made a decision.
And off it went to pastures new.
Still, that left me without a wah pedal that was a separate entity from the Helix and, as a big reason for getting the WH10v2 in the first place was to have a wah pedal that is ALWAYS a wah and never controlling any other effects - keeps things simple when I’m playing/singing/switching stuff on and off on the Helix - I suddenly had a wah shaped hole to fill.
Much interwebz and YT investigating later and I found a wah that, while not perfect, could be...well, with a couple of mods anyway.
Enter the eminently shexy looking Dunlop Jerry Cantrell* wah pedal...oooh, that aged brass casing...:cold:
4A847346-9736-4BEE-9358-41FD2808BECF.jpeg
F69025BC-C68C-4ED4-835D-8E0214C4C464.jpeg
It looks great but MUCH more important than that are two things:
1. It has a knob #matron that allows me to set the parameters of the frequency sweep #WIN And BOY, is it a vocal sounding beast! Perfecto...
2. It’s a Dunlop with a switch that you don’t need elephant strength legs to turn on and off. #doubleWIN

I have a friend who’s an electrical engineer by trade and, crazy fool (and lovely bloke) that he is, he offered to do the couple of mods I felt this wah would massively benefit from for me. Top lad.
So...a couple of quick trips to eBay and Alan’s skill set later et voila...
C646F76E-BB1F-466B-ABBC-1FD987981406.jpeg
My Jerry Cantrell wah now features a blue LED baseplate to let me know when it’s on/off and hopefully banish those “OH SH*T, I bloody left the wah in for the entire set, didn’t I?!!” moments once and for all.
Also, it has ALICE written in the treadle so yep, meant to be.
Btw WHY Dunlop don’t offer on/off lights of some description as standard on all their wahs is a madness I’ll never understand:facepalm:
And...this wah is now true bypass (thanks Alan!) too so no irritating tone suck either.
Am I happy?
Heh.
*massive grin*
:)

And then THIS arrived today too.
59F5D986-4368-48D9-9904-4E939D60EDC8.jpeg
I’d like to lay the blame for this at the feet of @ed lespaul - you bad/good/wonderful/terrible man you ;):D
I could rationalise that having this pedal saves DSP on the Helix which’ll free up presets for even MOAR effects blah blah blah...
But yes, while that IS true, it’s such a gorgeously smooth and rich sounding gain pedal that when one showed up at a very good price I went for it.
Do I need it? No.
Do I want it? OHHELLYES.
And it sounds just as good as I remember...
:bounce:

drittal

Nerd on the Prairie
Bloody LOVED it.
What I loved a whole lot less was the slightly nasally tone it gave to my guitar when it wasn’t switched on #toneSUCK
And yep, it’s one of those once-you-notice-it-you-CAN’T-NOT-notice-it things so, after looking into getting it modded to true bypass and THEN realising that the innards of an Ibanez WH10v2 do not lend them themselves well to such ideas #expensive I made a decision.
Still, that left me without a wah pedal that was a separate entity from the Helix and, as a big reason for getting the WH10v2 in the first place was to have a wah pedal that is ALWAYS a wah and never controlling any other effects - keeps things simple when I’m playing/singing/switching stuff on and off on the Helix - I suddenly had a wah shaped hole to fill.
Much interwebz and YT investigating later and I found a wah that, while not perfect, could be...well, with a couple of mods anyway.
Enter the eminently shexy looking Dunlop Jerry Cantrell* wah pedal...oooh, that aged brass casing...:cold:
View attachment 36386
View attachment 36387
1. It has a knob #matron that allows me to set the parameters of the frequency sweep #WIN And BOY, is it a vocal sounding beast! Perfecto...
2. It’s a Dunlop with a switch that you don’t need elephant strength legs to turn on and off. #doubleWIN

I have a friend who’s an electrical engineer by trade and, crazy fool (and lovely bloke) that he is, he offered to do the couple of mods I felt this wah would massively benefit from for me. Top lad.
View attachment 36388
My Jerry Cantrell wah now features a blue LED baseplate to let me know when it’s on/off and hopefully banish those “OH SH*T, I bloody left the wah in for the entire set, didn’t I?!!” moments once and for all.
Btw WHY Dunlop don’t offer on/off lights of some description as standard on all their wahs is a madness I’ll never understand:facepalm:
And...this wah is now true bypass (thanks Alan!) too so no irritating tone suck either.
Am I happy?
Heh.
*massive grin*

View attachment 36389
I’d like to lay the blame for this at the feet of @ed lespaul - you bad/good/wonderful/terrible man you ;):D
I could rationalise that having this pedal saves DSP on the Helix which’ll free up presets for even MOAR effects blah blah blah...
But yes, while that IS true, it’s such a gorgeously smooth and rich sounding gain pedal that when one showed up at a very good price I went for it.
Do I need it? No.
Do I want it? OHHELLYES.
Nice!

LED should be mandatory for all Wah pedals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wade Garrett

I am the projectionist.
Bloody LOVED it.
View attachment 36386
View attachment 36387

View attachment 36388
Am I happy?
Heh.
*massive grin*

View attachment 36389
Do I need it? No.
Do I want it? OHHELLYES.
Double win! I always really liked the look of those wahs.

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
Nice scores! That Led baseplate is awesome. I agree a LED on a Wah is convenient, but if it's on, you can really hear it....or at least I can.

I may have asked before in your WH10 thread or you may have mentioned it, but why do you prefer a a wah next to your Helix?

bad alice

Nice scores! That Led baseplate is awesome. I agree a LED on a Wah is convenient, but if it's on, you can really hear it....or at least I can.

I may have asked before in your WH10 thread or you may have mentioned it, but why do you prefer a a wah next to your Helix?
Thanks @Tankman
My reason for wanting a wah next to the Helix is to help keep switching options simple;
I use the expression pedal on the Helix to control a variety of effects and those assignments vary depending on the preset I have active.
However, a (Dunlop Jerry Cantrell) wah pedal is always, and will always, be a wah.
Plus it’s not black so easy to spot with a quick glance down
Add in that my puny legs REALLY struggle to switch between Exp1 and Exp2 on the Helix then having a separate wah makes even more sense (for me, anyway!)

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
Thanks @Tankman
My reason for wanting a wah next to the Helix is to help keep switching options simple;
I use the expression pedal on the Helix to control a variety of effects and those assignments vary depending on the preset I have active.
However, a (Dunlop Jerry Cantrell) wah pedal is always, and will always, be a wah.
Plus it’s not black so easy to spot with a quick glance down
Add in that my puny legs REALLY struggle to switch between Exp1 and Exp2 on the Helix then having a separate wah makes even more sense (for me, anyway!)
Sounds logical. I must say that I do think any Dunlop Wah will always beat a modelled wah. I used to regular Crybaby for 10 years and have been using a Crybaby mini on my board for 1 year now. The mini is especially good.

ed lespaul

Awesome!!!! It's an incredible pedal that can make a cheap guitar sound like a Friedman. Simply amazing pedal.

Remember to unscrew the back, and check the additional gain level pot inside (white pot).

bad alice

Awesome!!!! It's an incredible pedal that can make a cheap guitar sound like a Friedman. Simply amazing pedal.
It’s a BEAST.
And I’m delighted to have one in my life again.

Remember to unscrew the back, and check the additional gain level pot inside (white pot).
Other than checking it was working
That was the first thing I did.
It’s set to “perfect” now...

Last edited:

SemiCullen

Still haven't got the hang of Thursdays
It’s a BEAST.
And I’m delighted to habe one in my life again.

Other than checking it was working
That was the first thing I did.
It’s set to “perfect” now...
I wound up selling my BE-OD after I got a Keeley Filaments. Just wasn't using it that often. I also have a Greer Sucker Punch which tonally I found to be extremely close to the BE-OD. All that said, I miss that pedal.

Sustainerplayer

On the edge of breakup
That's a well executed idea with that LED light. :cool:

And I get a feeling ... that apart from "the journey" ... you are gravitating towards better sounding gear all the time. :dog:
Be carefull with that ... it could be a dead end at some point! ;):eek:

bad alice

That's a well executed idea with that LED light. :cool:
It’s an awesome mod!
But I can’t take the credit; that would be eBay’s and my pal Alan’s...
3B09DA97-0C05-493C-9627-25EB6E996999.png
And I get a feeling ... that apart from "the journey" ... you are gravitating towards better sounding gear all the time. :dog:
Be carefull with that ... it could be a dead end at some point! ;):eek:
DEAR GOD, NO!
Perish the thought @Sustainerplayer
:cold:

The led baseplate really does look cool.
I’m thinking of getting Alan to install one on the back of my head
That way, when I have a point to make in a meeting at work, it could click *on*?
That would definitely make my suggestions more impactful...;)

Uptown

A confused lysdexic
God damn it, I'm just about to sort out my pedalboard and was thinking about modding my Crybaby from Hell this morning. A green one of those plates and the true bypass mod might be just the thing.

Also one brilliant thing with the BD, that tight control all the way up and low gain can give you some beautiful Billy Gibbons style crunch