NGD - 2 Out... 1 In...

johnniegoat

Stop, don’t, come back.
Hello all

So the Edwards flew out the door - The deal was struck very quickly and, bar a minor inconvenience with a delivery driver not seeing a driveway, delivered to its new happy owner in my home country of NI

The Orville however was proving a quandary. It was on at a good price, with room to haggle. And, frankly, it was beautiful. A lot of Orville std's from that era had fotoflame tops - this was a plain top with plenty of grain and pattern, and aged naturally in its 25 year lifespan. Lots of peeks, no action

Until a chap from Essex sent me a message. Would I be up for a trade? Hmm...

TBH, I wanted cash. I have a lot of guitars, and could do with a bit more money to do stuff to the flat

However

The Orville was not moving. This trade would give me a guitar with a more stellar name on the headstock and potentially a better chance to sell through

So, the trade was agreed and we met at that Athens of the north, South Mimms Services

And here it is

2012 Gibson SG '61. As it left the factory, Classic '57's, Klusons, cherry red, rosewood board. It makes all the sounds, the neck is a breeze, it sounds crisp and present

All good, for anyone wanting to be Angus, Iommi, Andy Cairns, etc it will suit you down to your pants

My worry is ... its really good ... and if i want to keep it ... why shouldn't I?

WHY SHOULDN'T I GODDAMN IT!?!111!!??

I will attepmt to be sensible and this lovely thing will probably be on sale for a reasonable price in the near future

But for now, I am going to have a strum and a riff and

Attachments

johnniegoat

Stop, don’t, come back.
@hendrixisgod

i have them in my LP Custom as well - they are splendid

the neck pickups read the same - @ 7.7kOhms - but the SG bridge is a tad hottere (8.2kO) v's teh custom (7.8kO)

i don't understand why so many people on forums go on about replacing these pickups to be more "authentic" - the C57 is brilliant

Chu

@hendrixisgod

i have them in my LP Custom as well - they are splendid

the neck pickups read the same - @ 7.7kOhms - but the SG bridge is a tad hottere (8.2kO) v's teh custom (7.8kO)

i don't understand why so many people on forums go on about replacing these pickups to be more "authentic" - the C57 is brilliant
What a lovely SG. Awesome.

As for why so many people go on about the pickups needing to be replaced, well, that's simple. People are idiots.

hendrixisgod

Argumentative Bastard
What a lovely SG. Awesome.

As for why so many people go on about the pickups needing to be replaced, well, that's simple. People are idiots.
I used to be one of those idiots, then I also used to buy cheap guitars. I wouldn't dream of touching the pick ups in any of my guitars. I would take the coil split out of my SG though, mainly cos I never used it I just roll off the volume.

johnniegoat

Stop, don’t, come back.
i don't mind if people are looking for a specific tone - i've swapped pickups around guitars to see what happens, etc - and the C57 probably is not first choice for scandi-deth-metal

i know some people are searching for sonic nirvana; i sometimes think they just like having something to complain about as they spend £250 + on boutique pickups and then find something else to complain about

hendrixisgod

Argumentative Bastard
i don't mind if people are looking for a specific tone - i've swapped pickups around guitars to see what happens, etc - and the C57 probably is not first choice for scandi-deth-metal

i know some people are searching for sonic nirvana; i sometimes think they just like having something to complain about as they spend £250 + on boutique pickups and then find something else to complain about
I guess I spend more time these days trying a guitar out, I don't buy a guitar any more thinking "I'm gonna do x and y to this" apart from my preferred set up. I mean my firebird is phonicly the best guitar I've ever owned for gigs there is just something about it in a live mix, but I don't think I've ever used a take for recording that falls back on my tele and LP raw power. But this is a wider discussion for another thread.....dont want to high jack your NGD goodness with rambling nonsense.

Chu

I used to be one of those idiots, then I also used to buy cheap guitars. I wouldn't dream of touching the pick ups in any of my guitars. I would take the coil split out of my SG though, mainly cos I never used it I just roll off the volume.
We're all idiots at times mate and i said it half jokingly. I've swapped pickups out on guitars plenty of times. Sometimes it works out but I think we agree that we like to get the right guitar, with the right character. The times it becomes properly idiotic is where people say things like 'stock pickups are only ever that and will always be inferior to brand X' or 'You should remove those stock pickups and replace them with anything by brand X, everything by them is brilliant'.

I enjoyed a recent Andertons blindfold test video in which Rob and Lee test a stock Squier Strat, (I think) a Squier Strat with BKPs and a Fender Strat. Blind, they liked the Squier the most, then the Fender and the BKPs least. And both said they'd buy the Fender.....

hendrixisgod

Argumentative Bastard
We're all idiots at times mate and i said it half jokingly. I've swapped pickups out on guitars plenty of times. Sometimes it works out but I think we agree that we like to get the right guitar, with the right character. The times it becomes properly idiotic is where people say things like 'stock pickups are only ever that and will always be inferior to brand X' or 'You should remove those stock pickups and replace them with anything by brand X, everything by them is brilliant'.

I enjoyed a recent Andertons blindfold test video in which Rob and Lee test a stock Squier Strat, (I think) a Squier Strat with BKPs and a Fender Strat. Blind, they liked the Squier the most, then the Fender and the BKPs least. And both said they'd buy the Fender.....
I do think the one guitar that should be completely customised is a strat, my strat has worn many different hats. I actually watched that video and Rob should have got pickups he knew, he took a risk and got it wrong. But I these days I just tend not to try and buy guitars that I think need new pickups, sound over everything I always think it's hardest thing to improve on.

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
This Idiotism is the main reason that I had 2 guitars built to my taste. I had found the guitars I want but already saw I wanted to change a few things. So I wrote down all the specs I wanted and had them built to spec. My tele has remained almost unchanged since the day it was built. The only change I made is the neck pickup, which was planned. I have a TV Jones Classic Plus in the bridge position. I couldn't find a matching tele neck pickup at the time so I just got a Cheap Fender TexMex pickup as a place holder. Half a year after the guitar was finished, TV JONES released the Starwood Tele pickups, which I immediately ordered and installed on the guitar. It's a very vintagy sounding guitar, which makes it stand out in my collection. I have considered routing out the bridge position for a humbucker so I can used it more in the band, but on the other hand, it might be a bit of a shame if I do that.

@hendrixisgod might be right about strats. My Purple strat has just the one pickup, but in it's 1 year since I got it, it's going to get it's third different pickup soon and it's 4th different volume pot. It started out with a TV Jones Classic Plus as well, but it didn't fit the guitar sound wise and looks wise. I then got a Bare Knuckle Holy Diver for it, which is great, but I'm stilling missing that last little bit of push. I decided it's time to go active. I have an EMG81 lined up for it. I might try a Fishman Fluence in the future, but I'm not familiar enough with them at the moment to make a decision on that. As for the pot, I went from Volume, to EVH low friction volume, to some sort of high end push pull and now for the EMG I need a 25k volume.