Music Insurance - Vintage gear?

Alex Theory

Northern Monkey
Who do you guys use for your music insurance? I'm starting up gigging again and I'd like to not be shitting myself taking some of my guitars out!

I've had quotes from Musicguard, insure4music and Allianz but they all seem to piss their collective pants about replacing new for old but I want old for old...

Any experiences out there?

Magnus Pym

Grudges rot the soul
The Scout group I work with use Allianz for their band equipment but they don't have vintage gear and would want new for old. I can't see many insurance companies being happy about insuring vintage gear because the replacement value is so difficult to guage. It has made me wonder if our house+contents insurance is adequate for my small collection of generally low end guitars though.

Alex Theory

Northern Monkey
The Scout group I work with use Allianz for their band equipment but they don't have vintage gear and would want new for old. I can't see many insurance companies being happy about insuring vintage gear because the replacement value is so difficult to guage. It has made me wonder if our house+contents insurance is adequate for my small collection of generally low end guitars though.
I have an appraisal etc for all my vintage bit(s) so the value shouldn't be an issue, just like any other antique really. Insure4Music have the below on their site but then mention nothing about it in their policy schedule.

Perfect for both brand new and pre-owned vintage guitars, our guitar insurance has been designed to cover all makes & types including; Fender, Gibson, Gretsch, Rickenbacker. With a maximum single item limit of £15,000, it’s perfect for covering your treasured items.

AdiHughes

Sessions, Lessons & Shred
Musicians Union, off the top of my head I think its only a couple of grand they cover, probably not enough if you have some very expensive equipment, but better than a kick in the teeth. You also get public liability insurance. Both those things are a minimum of you're gigging I think.

mirage2101

My insurance bundles computer + software, audio equipment, tv, film/foto equipment, cd's, dvd's and instruments to a max of 15000 euro.
I don't think I'll get to that amount, but even if I do. I wouldn't increase my insurance. It's quite expensive to do and the difference in payout would be too small.
Not to mention my wife won't let me buy speakers this big ever again for in the living room ;-)

As far as vintage instruments go:
You'll want to check what is actually insured. Not all companies insure theft from unattended cars for instance. Even with locks and evidence of breaking in.
Insurance is a value game. If you pay 100 a month for a 2500 guitar you might want to pass on it. If you can afford to replace that guitar you might want to pass on it. If the guitar is really unique and hard to replace, you might want to consider getting a vintage reissue for your gigs. Depending on the cost of insurance that might be more affordable in the long run and get you more peace of mind.

Last edited: