Help me diagnose warbling notes, Stratitis?

Last week I got some new Iron Gear pickups for my Peavey HP EXP so I've spent most of my evenings learning how to properly set up my guitars, I got the feeler gauges and metal rulers out and did lots of reading.

Right about the time I thought I was happy with the set up I noticed a weird warbling on the G string with high gain, I tried lowering the pickups til they practically fell into the body but sustained notes still warble with a tremolo type effect, I did some research and found out about the G string curse, something do to with an unwound G string's harmonics being out of sync.

I figured I could live with that but I got curious and picked up the strat, to my horror I found that practically every sustained note on the wound strings was warbling, I lowered the pickups quite a way below Fender spec but it hasn't helped.

It's not so terrible on the bridge pickup but you can really hear it through the neck pup, I tried damping the trem springs just in case it was some sort of resonance issue but no luck there.

I've uploaded an mp3 which I think shows the problem quite clearly, please have a look and tell me I'm not going insane :cold:

*edit*

There's a little bit of digital clipping in the file, my mp3 encoder has inexplicably decided to double the volume.

Attachments

Voodoorider

Can spot a twat a mile away.
Mmm..I'd usually check strings first, old strings do some weird stuff! Like you already did, make sure the pups aren't too close! Also I'd check intonation too, if it's miles off, i can see how you'd maybe get an overtone causing some kind of dissonance! You can actually hear that effect if you hammer down onto notes unplugged, pretty easily! Is the nut snug around the strings?

I'd reluctantly suggest a really really low action could cause this maybe, unlikely i think, but worth a look at if nothing else so far helps!

These are new strings I put on last week, I've also got the action pretty high after spending all week obsessing over rattles, intonation is spot on too, the only other thing I can think of is the neck, I can't see how it would affect the harmonics but I've set slightly more relief than factory spec.

Ernesto

Does not have the same opinion!
Most of the time it's just a bit of dust or some residue in either the nut or the saddle that causes a Foucault type swing instead of a pure sinus. It's basically two sinus waves on top of eachother at a different speed, which causes the waves to cancel eachother out. This always means that there is something causing an artificial node on the string at a place where it shouldn't be. It can be stratitis, but it's not likely if you've tried with very low polepiece settings. It can also be a deformation of the string at some point, or the string slightly touching a fret somewhere, but most of the time it's just a little bit of uneven metal in the saddle vee where the string lies, or a bit of crap in the string slot in the nut.

That's a possibility, I don't know that I've ever cleaned the string saddles or the nut, the nut itself is a bit worn but there's still plenty of clearance at the 1st fret and the strings appear snug, I'll investigate them when I get home :)

Thanks for the quick replies by the way, this forum is great for it's enthusiasm.

tomrichyguitar

>>>----------> knee
How strange..!
Personally, if there's a guitar shop near you, I'd just take it in and say, do you have any idea what is causing this? If they give you any ideas, you could either try/learn to fix it yourself, or hand it to them to fix :) Obviously that would cost though :)

jaden

Shutchore maaaf and look at my WAD !
warbling on g string is usually due to the vintage magnet stagger on certain pickups - the G string would have been wound on a vintage strat so the magnet is a different height.
when you put a plain G string on, it warbles, the only thing to do is buy a new set of pickups or use a wound third.

warbling on g string is usually due to the vintage magnet stagger on certain pickups - the G string would have been wound on a vintage strat so the magnet is a different height.
when you put a plain G string on, it warbles, the only thing to do is buy a new set of pickups or use a wound third.
I remember you telling me about that when we were at the Marshall Factory! My Yngwie strat with the DiMarzio HS-3's tends to do that alot! Ive not had too much of a problem with it though and to have a higher action on that particular axe i guess the action could help.

Benni

The weird thing is I've had this strat for years and I never noticed it doing this, it's making me question my sanity a bit.

I dropped the pickups right down tonight and it made no difference, I also raised them up really high just out of curiosity, it didn't really make the problem worse, just louder.

I'm going to avoid the guitars for a few days, I think I've worn out my ears for the moment, there's only so many evenings you can stay awake till 4am playing the same few notes :D

The weird thing is I've had this strat for years and I never noticed it doing this, it's making me question my sanity a bit.

I dropped the pickups right down tonight and it made no difference, I also raised them up really high just out of curiosity, it didn't really make the problem worse, just louder.

I'm going to avoid the guitars for a few days, I think I've worn out my ears for the moment, there's only so many evenings you can stay awake till 4am playing the same few notes :D

lol, yeah sometimes stepping away is the best thing. I'm dealing with a case of stratitis myself....

ed lespaul

Did you buy them new? If so, contact their customer support, along with the sound clip. That's not normal. The part that's concerning is that you said it's not happening on all strings.

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
Yes, necro, still gonna reply. For what it's worth, sometimes it could just be a bad string. Just put a new one on and you might notice the difference. I've seen this happen a lot.