Gear you have sold and bought again, maybe even multiple times

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
I recently bought an Orange Jim Root Terror. I used to own one when they had just come out and I loved it. After getting a deal for a local boutique amp brand as sort of an endorser/spokesman/in store representative (it was complicated) I sold it to fund the part of the boutique amp that I still had to pay. Stupid stupid stupid.

That boutique amp was great, but it just didn't work in my band, so it had to go, especially after the ties between the company and I broke. I always regretted selling the Jim Root Terror. Andertons had a great Black Friday Deal so I jumped on it and now I own it for a second time.

I've done this with more gear. Here's my list. What's yours?

• MXR Phase 90 (owned 3)
  • Electro Harmonix Small Stone Nano (owned 2)
  • MXR Carbon Copy (Owned 2)
  • TC Electronic Flashback (Owned 2)
  • TC Electronic Flashback X4 (owned 2)
  • Boss PH-3 Phaser (owned 2)
  • Digitech Whammy (owned 2...although it may have been one version IV and one version V)
  • Boss NS-2 (owned 2 and actually found out I need one for in the studio)
  • EMG 81 pickup (owned 2, although, they were for different guitars)
  • Celestion Vintage 30 speaker (Owned 4)

Strigidae

I like owls.
It's a 0 for me as well, mainly because I've stopped myself in the process of selling. I don't have any crazy expensive gear such as premium amps or custom shop guitars, thus when it comes to selling it I'd mostly take a huge hit on the price. Whenever I think of selling something I ask myself "How much can I get - What would it cost to buy it again - What do I get out of using it" and almost every time the £50-300 I'd get is nowhere near enough to make a difference towards another purchase. The only gear I've ever sold after those questions was my Chapman ML-1 that I made a £0 loss on and would never in a million years consider buying again.

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
Considering the fact that I worked in a guitar store for a while and got great discounts, it made it a lot easier to buy and sell new ear at great prices and at no loss.

I've never done it with guitars though. It's usually amps and pedals. The closest I've came is buying a Fender Cabronita Tele and selling it to buy an original Korean ML-1. At the store, somebody traded in the same Cabronita and I used it to demo some amps and loved the sound. I considered getting it, but was afraid I would get tired of it again. I ended up A/B'ing some similar guitars and found it's the filtertron pickup sound I really liked, so I had a Tele custom made to my specs with some TV Jones goodness in it.

Wade Garrett

I am the projectionist.
As far as I know the only piece of gear I've bought two of is this:

I had one when I was a teenager, I borrowed it to my brothers friend and when I got it back years later the switch was all messed up. I bought another last year just because they are really cheap these days and was having a nostalgic moment. The switch on the replacement doesn't work very well either! They were pretty well known for it.

flawlessandeternal

Double OG with a Skeleton Key
I'm currently on my 4th Digitech whammy. Also I bought a second Silvertone 1303 reissue because selling the first one was such a mistake. The only guitars I'd buy back in a heartbeat would be:

Gibson Less+ in cherry sunburst.
Gretsch Electromatic Corvette (Or something with proper filtertrons in it)
Fender Celtic Showmaster

Chu

Nothing at all. I'm happy to sell stuff but only if I've fallen out of love with it. I've never sold something to fund anything else, so I've always waited until it's languished in a drawer/cupboard for a bit before selling.

mirage2101

I never sold anything that I'd buy again. I might get a blackstar ht1 head sometime.. Since i sold the ht5 that might count?

If I'd have to start over today I'd most likely get a boss nextone amp. Or at least that'd be my first stop.
fender 56 reissue strat would be high on my list. It's be my starting point to go shopping and depending on what I find I might go custom shop to get something like it again. I've never held a strat that's near it.
The les paul 2015 is more difficult. It's a great bluesy character guitar but I'd start out more general going for a guitar with humbuckers and then just see what I find. It's great and I won't sell it.. but rebuy.. hmm.
On a budget I'd happily play a mim strat again for a couple of years.

What i'll never buy again:
Pod500, 90s digitech multi effect.. cheap peavy 90s starter kit stuff :)

bad alice

Easily distracted and...OHLOOKAGUITAR!!!
Nope.
Nope.
No.
I don’t think I’ve ever re bought any gear I’ve sold.
And I’m remarkably free of seller’s remorse.
:)

Well...

Maybe that’s not 100% true?;)

Mitch bought me a *thing* I’ve owned before off eBay yesterday for my birthday.
But as I’m going to have to wait till early January to get my grubby mitts on it?
I’m staying schtum till then...
:cold:

everfreetree

I... I like trees.
I have my Gretsch currently listed for sale on Reverb and Craigslist, as I'm running out of money and not making it fast enough to cover some important expenses coming up.
I know for a fact if I do sell it and I end up getting in a stable position within the next year, I'll be looking for another Gretsch, if not the same one (though Fairlane Blue ones might be harder to come by, by then :S).

Other than that... I've been keeping an eye out for my Squire Affinity Strat that I fixed up and painted, hoping to see it pop up on Craigslist and the like, so I can buy it back.
So, I haven't bought anything back YET, but I'm wanting to.

Chu

Nope.
Nope.
No.
I don’t think I’ve ever re bought any gear I’ve sold.
And I’m remarkably free of seller’s remorse.

Well...

Maybe that’s not 100% true?;)

Mitch bought me a *thing* I’ve owned before off eBay yesterday for my birthday.
But as I’m going to have to wait till early January to get my grubby mitts on it?
I’m staying schtum till then...
Didn't you buy a Gordon Smith as a tribute to one you previously owned?

bad alice

Easily distracted and...OHLOOKAGUITAR!!!
Didn't you buy a Gordon Smith as a tribute to one you previously owned?
God yes!
You’re absolutely right @Chu - I forgot about that one.
Although technically it doesn’t count for the purposes of this thread as I didn’t sell the original
It was...*trembles slightly at the memory and grabs the back of a chair to steady herself*
It was...

*BIG deep breath in*
SMASHED beyond repair after a horrific 1 in a billion strap lock incident saw it fall to the ground taking the neck off and damaging the body in the process.
It’s funny though because I was sure I’d hang onto the replacement.
It didn’t stay long though.
It may have been the same model but ultimately it was a different guitar.
More importantly, I’m a different person now too
Some things are best left in the past I find...

Chu

God yes!
You’re absolutely right @Chu - I forgot about that one.
Although technically it doesn’t count for the purposes of this thread as I didn’t sell the original
It was...*trembles slightly at the memory and grabs the back of a chair to steady herself*
It was...

*BIG deep breath in*
SMASHED beyond repair after a horrific 1 in a billion strap lock incident saw it fall to the ground taking the neck off and damaging the body in the process.
It’s funny though because I was sure I’d hang onto the replacement.
It didn’t stay long though.
It may have been the same model but ultimately it was a different guitar.
More importantly, I’m a different person now too
Some things are best left in the past I find...
Completely agree, I just recalled the post you made when you got it. It reminds me how after I got my first PRS, I sold my Les Paul as it wasn't being played. When I joined another band and needed a guitar for a different tuning, I started to miss the old girl but worked my way through a Variaxed G&L to a PRS SE. Very shortly after the SE came along, I stumbled across a cherry red LP Standard for a complete steal and bought it on an impulse. I'd been a Les Paul player for years and when I got it it felt just like a good LP should do but I just felt like it wasn't for me. It went after two weeks.....

himynameisoli

I'm terrible for this haha. I'm really impulsive so im always buying then selling to fund the next thing and a chunk of that is stuff I've bought again after owning previously.

My list would be,

3 Vox AC30 Hand Wired Heads
2 Mesa Rectoverb Heads
2 Epiphone Phant-o-matic Wilshires
2 Epiphone Tom Delonge ES-333 (And 1 Gibson)
4 or 5 Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 Interfaces

All of them are now gone as well XD well, bar the Epiphone Wilshire (trying to sell currently) and a Focusrite interface.

Although in the past year I've really calmed down with it all and I'm selling off most of my stuff as I'm getting to a point where I only want to keep the things I know I wouldn't consider selling.

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
I'm terrible for this haha. I'm really impulsive so im always buying then selling to fund the next thing and a chunk of that is stuff I've bought again after owning previously.

My list would be,

3 Vox AC30 Hand Wired Heads
2 Mesa Rectoverb Heads
2 Epiphone Phant-o-matic Wilshires
2 Epiphone Tom Delonge ES-333 (And 1 Gibson)
4 or 5 Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 Interfaces

All of them are now gone as well XD well, bar the Epiphone Wilshire (trying to sell currently) and a Focusrite interface.

Although in the past year I've really calmed down with it all and I'm selling off most of my stuff as I'm getting to a point where I only want to keep the things I know I wouldn't consider selling.
Good God, that's a lot of money....