• You need to have made 10 posts to be able to post a new thread in this forum.

Further cull?

doctorpaul

Negative, Ghost Rider, the pattern is full.
Staff member
For ease of reference, here it is:

THE LIST!

I’m actually VERY proud of myself.

Marvin £2300 (SOLD)
Norah £700 (SOLD)
Merlot £700 -reserved
Scott £800 (SOLD)
Matt £600
Mollusk £900 (SOLD)
Casey £800 (SOLD)
Damascus £1000
Enzo £600
Brownie £1300 (SOLD)
Hex £800
Bruce £600
Googolplex £900 (SOLD)
Suzi £1000 (SOLD)
Orion £650 (SOLD)
Tango £700
Mildred £1000
Myth £400 (SOLD)
Virgil £150 (SOLD)
Thor £250
Genesis £850 (SOLD)
Lily £600 (SOLD)
Sparrow £700 (SOLD)
Angus £500
Nancy £600 (SOLD)
Seventeen £800
Jonah £700
Allan £700
Lola £1300
Pussy £700
Achtund £800
Siebenhund £700 (SOLD)
Vierhund £500

Www.doctorpaul.wix.com/Guitars

———————

Hmm. I’ve been thinking.

It started with an electrical problem at my place ... a short under the kitchen floor. No big deal, but the sparky needed all of the plugs on the affected circuit to be removed before he could find out where the short was.
That should have been easy, but there are a couple of sockets at the back of ‘Narnia’ (the recess behind the wardrobe where my little collection lives).
It took me quarter of an hour to dig out a sufficient number of guitars to get to the sockets ... it looked like an explosion at Andertons by the time I’d finished.
I came down from 90-something guitars to 50-something a while back and, although there are a few that I miss (as a collector, not as a player) the recent shenanigans made me wonder whether I should let a few dozen more go.
I play my Lesters a lot. When I reach for a Strat, it is invariably the CS Deluxe, likewise the Tele. The Masterbuilt Charvel gets attention (that NECK!). And the Jaden Escher.
The others might be missed as part of the collector-thing, but not as players, and I’ve learned that hoarding guitars is cool, but is a pain in the ass.
I have racking for about 30.
This isn’t a sales pitch ... far from it, as me and eBay get on quite well.
That is all, and good evening.
Doc out.b

Last edited:

everfreetree

I... I like trees.
Open up a Reverb store based on taking offers.
Like a "Make Me Move" sale on a house.
Only get rid of the ones that someone clearly wants more than you do, and whatever is left that you don't play, set a lower price, and the ones who have "watched" them will get notified of this new, enticing price, and be more likely to jump on it.
Always fun, and you can get featured on Reverb's main page, if your store is interesting enough.

Just gotta get that shortlist of guitars going...
And yeah, good luck with that part.
I don't envy that decision-making event.

johnniegoat

Stop, don’t, come back.
@doctorpaul

i think you are right

i have less space than you, and currently i am just about managing that space. but i have an iron in the fire, which will mean something has to give in a couple of months or so

which is sad, as i like all my guitars. either the red Raygun Strat or the Coxon tele is most likely to go

Chu

I find happiness in having a guitar for a purpose. That purpose might simply be because everyone should have a Strat for example but having duplicates makes me uncomfortable.

If you don't play them, sell them. If you die tomorrow, what will Mrs Paul do with them? You can bet she'll find someone to sell them at horrifically low prices, making some other chump happy. Keep the best, let the rest go.

DrJazztap

Do it. I have fretted about selling some guitars for a while now. I have basically decided to keep with what I've got. It's a dance I've gone around time and again. I don't lust after anything guitarwise these days. And if I do I think about what I would replace it with. I wouldn't mind a parlour guitar to play in the living room but if I get one I might part exchange some stomp boxes to help me get one.

I certainly have found that not being on a guitar forum for some time has helped me. I have got into watches recently and I ended up collecting lots of crap watches. I found I was only wearing my seiko automatic. So I sold about five watches nothing super expensive but the next watch I'll get will be one I love.

Neilybob100

I find happiness in having a guitar for a purpose. That purpose might simply be because everyone should have a Strat for example but having duplicates makes me uncomfortable.

If you don't play them, sell them. If you die tomorrow, what will Mrs Paul do with them? You can bet she'll find someone to sell them at horrifically low prices, making some other chump happy. Keep the best, let the rest go.
Yep I agree with this. I also enjoy having a guitar for a purpose. It gives me satisfaction.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

doctorpaul

Negative, Ghost Rider, the pattern is full.
Staff member
Well kids, it has started. A geezer at work has been bugging me about one of the guitars that I keep at the office, and it is now sitting in HIS office down the corridor.
From experience, it is the first sale of any cull that is the most difficult, so it is plain sailing from here.
My spreadsheet (which is necessary, trust me) has been segregated into ‘green stuff’ (staying) and ‘red stuff’ (going).
If all goes to plan, the herd will be FAR leaner and fitter in a few months time.
I’ll post a list of the stuff that WILL be going.
I’m actually quite excited.

everfreetree

I... I like trees.
Well kids, it has started. A geezer at work has been bugging me about one of the guitars that I keep at the office, and it is now sitting in HIS office down the corridor.
From experience, it is the first sale of any cull that is the most difficult, so it is plain sailing from here.
My spreadsheet (which is necessary, trust me) has been segregated into ‘green stuff’ (staying) and ‘red stuff’ (going).
If all goes to plan, the herd will be FAR leaner and fitter in a few months time.
I’ll post a list of the stuff that WILL be going.
I’m actually quite excited.
I don't have enough cash on hand to buy anything (probably), but I'm STILL excited to see the list...
You still have at least 2-3 guitars I'm VERY interested in, and at LEAST one that I know will be for sale.
Absolutely maddening.