DIME 333 upgrades

drittal

Nerd on the Prairie
*Disclaimer*
If you get upset by or think I’m a racist because this guitar has a custom confederate flag paint job with lightning bolts through the stars, please click the back button before continuing. This was originally painted and upgraded 14yrs ago as a tribute to a legend, blending 2 of his iconic guitars into one. It is not meant to offend. It is not a symbol of hatred.

It’s a guitar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drittal

Nerd on the Prairie
Now that that is out of the way, back back in 2005 when I rebuild this and had it custom painted I decided to go with a Floyd Rose Speedloader because it seemed then like the future. Little did I know in a couple short years FR would stop producing them and the string manufacturer would also cease production. Back then I also wasn’t as well versed in soldering and wiring so I mostly left that alone, only replacing the pickups with a Dime signature set.

So last weekend I bit the bullet and ordered a new FR, hipshot tuners and all new hardware and pots.

drittal

Nerd on the Prairie
Last night I tackled what I was dreading the most. The original Washburn 600S tremolo had 5/16” trem stud inserts and Floyd Rose uses 25/64”. When I first upgraded I just reused the original studs.

To make the holes larger without messing up the holes or damaging the top I used a step up bit to bring the top 1/8” of the hole to 3/8” diameter and remove paint a little wider. I then was able to use a regular 3/8” drill bit to enlarge to hole to the depth I needed. I then used a Dremel with a barrel sander to open the holes up slightly larger, checking the fit of my studs as I went.

drittal

Nerd on the Prairie
I hope you wiped that wax down a little and didn't let it soak in.
I spread the oil on, come back and rub it down, then wipe it off.

The pic was after spreading the oil, a fret dot sized drop on each of the bigger frets.

Last edited:

drittal

Nerd on the Prairie
She had 250k pots that I replaced with 500k. Now she is ultra bright. If I switch to a 250k tone pot will that tame some of that high end? The neck isn’t too bright... what if I change the Dimebucker volume pot to 250k? Thanks in advance.

drittal

Nerd on the Prairie
Yes. It had 250k stock and it was beautiful, but I had no idea.

Alder body, maple neck.

drittal

Nerd on the Prairie
Two new updates, the specs I have found about the dime 333 model have it listed as having a 15.75” radius neck so I ordered a R10 nut from Floyd Rose. I couldn’t find a kit that came with an R10 nut so I had ordered one with the right neck width of 43mm so an R3. I tried it, but it wouldn’t work for this axe. The new nut is supposed to be the same width as the R3, but it is actually a little wider, and slightly wider than the neck where the R3 was perfect. The string height now is way closer to acceptable, I still need to file a hair off to get the action perfect.

I found my noise problem, it was ground loop. Yay! Here I thought I was a terrible solderer but it turns out I’m just a dumb ass!