David Gilmour’s Black Strat (and others) up for auction...

bad alice

Easily distracted and...OHLOOKAGUITAR!!!

Lonestar

SC Relics Guitars
That black Strat is way too expensive. It's heavily used, clearly dinged and in player condition. It's also a CBS-era Fender so obviously the craftsmanship is awful, that's another hit on the price. All in all, I could stretch it to $500 because it's US-made... by Mexicans, but I'd have to get a gig bag included at that price.
I wholeheartedly agree

bad alice

Tbh, and as mad as I suspect the price that the Black Strat, Goldtop etc will go for, if you’re a Pink Floyd fanatic then spec goes out the window.
It’s THAT Black Strat.
And THAT Goldtop.
Etc etc

That’s all that matters...
:cold:
I hope he raises a SHIT TON of money selling them too!
:)

Last edited:

Chu

The black Strat also has a modern neck on it. At some point it was Charvel made, then a Fender or two.

Yeah, it's over priced for a 69 Strat, but not for a Strat that with that legacy. I think it's nice that he selling the stuff on instead of hoarding it until he passes.

As a huge PF fan, anything that was all over DSOTM, WYWH or The Wall is unfathomable to own. I'm off to check down the back of the sofa, sell a kidney and hold up a Securicor van.

bad alice

The black Strat also has a modern neck on it. At some point it was Charvel made, then a Fender or two.

Yeah, it's over priced for a 69 Strat, but not for a Strat that with that legacy. I think it's nice that he selling the stuff on instead of hoarding it until he passes.

As a huge PF fan, anything that was all over DSOTM, WYWH or The Wall is unfathomable to own. I'm off to check down the back of the sofa, sell a kidney and hold up a Securicor van.
I was having a fantasy moment yesterday on the train to work thinking about what it would be like to actually buy the Black Strat and have it sat at home to pick up and play?
And...I couldn’t.:cold:
Mybrain refused to accept that a guitar of such reknown and with such an incredible legacy would EVER be a guitar that I could just grab and jam on.
In my head Paul Gilmour + the Black Strat = Thor + Mjolnir
And yes, I KNOW it’s just a guitar and that of course whoever buys it should play it and enjoy the HELL out of it
But I hope that, guitar fans that we all are, that accepting that whatever the spec value of an axe, there’s a rightful specialness and position of awe that some guitars should always hold.
IMO they’re bona fide “beacons of inspiration”.
After all, it’s often the music that was played on those guitars that encouraged both us, and those who’ll come after us, to pick up a guitar and play in the first place...

Chu

I was having a fantasy moment yesterday on the train to work thinking about what it would be like to actually buy the Black Strat and have it sat at home to pick up and play?
And...I couldn’t.:cold:
Mybrain refused to accept that a guitar of such reknown and with such an incredible legacy would EVER be a guitar that I could just grab and jam on.
In my head Paul Gilmour + the Black Strat = Thor + Mjolnir
And yes, I KNOW it’s just a guitar and that of course whoever buys it should play it and enjoy the HELL out of it
But I hope that, guitar fans that we all are, that accepting that whatever the spec value of an axe, there’s a rightful specialness and position of awe that some guitars should always hold.
IMO they’re bona fide “beacons of inspiration”.
After all, it’s often the music that was played on those guitars that encouraged both us, and those who’ll come after us, to pick up a guitar and play in the first place...
Yeah. Paul Gilmour and his black Strat..... You fucking numpty!

But the red Strat too.... I remember seeing him play that on TV in '90 at Knebworth on Sorrow and Comfortably numb in the lashing rain. It was a major moment in my playing history and an overwhelming influence. I've seen him live twice, once with the red once with the black. Just to come home and pick up one of those for a noodle blows my mind. Same for The Red Special, or Evo. Most of my guitar heroes have gone through guitars like shoes so those iconic instruments mean something precious to me.

mirage2101

But the red Strat too.... I remember seeing him play that on TV in '90 at Knebworth on Sorrow and Comfortably numb in the lashing rain. It was a major moment in my playing history and an overwhelming influence. I've seen him live twice, once with the red once with the black. Just to come home and pick up one of those for a noodle blows my mind. Same for The Red Special, or Evo. Most of my guitar heroes have gone through guitars like shoes so those iconic instruments mean something precious to me.
I've seen him play twice. The strange thing is.. When I saw Roger waters dark side of the moon and the wall shows I actually like the solo's better. But those were album accurate.. While gilmour took a lot more liberty that wasn't always better...
Still.. To be able to play like that..

But think of it.. You have one of his guitars at home.. What excuse are you going to have to play badly then?? It's like having the pick of destiny!

bad alice

I'm not letting this go @bad alice - Paul Gilmour? PAUL Gilmour?
Ah fhhhhhhhk.
David.
DAVID.
I know.
I KNOW.

And there’s really NO EXCUSE that’ll get me out of that CRASHING error, is there?
*holds out hand for shovel*
*quietly takes shovel*
*commences digging*
:D