Custom guitar build

mirage2101

So this is a bit of a teaser but I'll update the thread when there's more to show. I won't be building this guitar myself but I've asked the luthier to send me progres pics now and then. Every baby needs it's album ;-)

The guitar will be a hybrid in between a les paul and tele with some modifications in the interest of comfort. It's neck will be a copy of my 56 strat reissue. It'll have a black to red burst.

For starters, this is the wood for the top:
2b39c459-dd1d-4dee-886b-5b18bd05e0e4.jpg

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
Awesome! Can't wait to see the results. This brings back memories from my Tele build he did for me. I received so many pictures of pieces of Walnut and Mahogany back then to choose from. The purple guitar I left more up to him. I basically got a photo of the cut body and a photo of the guitar in the spray booth.

I always get worried during the process and usually comes down to woods not being sanded yet or the lighting that makes the color look off. In the end, Frank always comes through. I've said it many times, but he's an awesome dude who makes awesome guitars. The two I own are still my favorites. Had one for almost 4 years now and one for 1 year.

Some people can visualise a design and see past the bare wood, for example, and some people simply can't - not meant as a criticism of those that can't, it's just a fact. My girlfriend, for example, is particularly bad at this - we were looking at kitchen designs a while ago, for example, and she wants to see exactly the right design and take that, and she can't visualise a composite of different elements from different designs.

I think this is particularly difficult when someone is making something like a guitar where the design is very important, and very personal. The bits of wood for a guitar during a build look nothing like the finished instrument, and so a lot of imagination is required. In particular, there is a dramatic change when the first coat of the finish goes on - I had this last weekend with the river table that I'm currently making, where my gf has been very unimpressed with the way that it looked while I was working on it, but as soon as I put the clear coat of resin on it, her reaction was "Wow, that actually looks great!"

I'm sure you could describe a guitar to someone, and then they could go away and make it, but when they came back with a finished guitar, they might say "That's not at all what I wanted!" I think that's why many custom builders will have a lot of interaction with the customer throughout the build, to avoid problems like that at the end which might ultimately end with the customer rejecting the guitar and refusing to pay.

Anyway....that's a nice bit of wood to start with. I look forward to your updates as this build progresses! :)

mirage2101

A quicker update then I expected!
I thought the build wouldn't start in another four weeks but there's progress already! I had the picture of the top wood on my phone for a month already so the wait was long enough ;-)

adc7150b-5011-4a39-8cdc-70446b9e6e9c.jpg
I like how the lines of the would come out on the top. I'm glad I didn't go for the other options.
It's difficult to see on the picture but near the top of the F hole the guitar slopes down for an armrest. I'm curious to see how that turns out in real life.

3b3973cd-4d46-409f-bf5c-a85486a053cd.jpg
Good view of the belly cut. I like the flow of the shape. It gives the entire guitar a more natural feel.

I'll be visiting next saturday so he can make a copy of my strat's neck to put on this guitar. I'm looking forward to hold it in my hands and see how it feels!

mirage2101

I've held it in my hands on saturday! The body feels pretty massive. The gaps for all the electronics are done now. The mount for the neck wasn't sanded out yet because Frank wanted to see my guitar and neck first. It turns out their default neck is just half a mm wider. So he'll give it the same kind of vintage V shape as my strat has.

I geeked out with some of the guys following a course who were building their own guitars there about my reissue. One guy recognized from the bridge that it was older. I wouldn't recognize it if you hit me with it but hey :)

Anyway it's not much of an update on the build part of things but it was nice feeling the body in my hands. I'm pretty stoked and looking forward to how it turns out.

bad alice

Easily distracted and...OHLOOKAGUITAR!!!
I've held it in my hands on saturday! The body feels pretty massive. The gaps for all the electronics are done now. The mount for the neck wasn't sanded out yet because Frank wanted to see my guitar and neck first. It turns out their default neck is just half a mm wider. So he'll give it the same kind of vintage V shape as my strat has.

I geeked out with some of the guys following a course who were building their own guitars there about my reissue. One guy recognized from the bridge that it was older. I wouldn't recognize it if you hit me with it but hey :)

Anyway it's not much of an update on the build part of things but it was nice feeling the body in my hands. I'm pretty stoked and looking forward to how it turns out.
It looks fabulous and the flow of the grain really works with the f holes and body shape - lovely stuff indeed
No wonder you’re stoked @mirage2101
I getting that way about this build now too!
:)

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck

Awesome! That workshop is always a good place to geek out on guitars and drink coffee.