Boost or EQ? [ANSWERED]

Hi,

I'm running a dual rig and two of my preamps (of four) have a very low output level. (obviously I'm only running two at a time)

I currently have a Boss GE-7 EQ pedal so I can add +6db; but I'm going to swap that to add some more colour to the valve preamp.

So I need another post boost pedal - so my question is this.

Are boost pedals worth the extra money? or are they doing the same job as pushing the level up on the GE-7?

EDIT: EQ VS BOOST VIDEO

Last edited:

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
Depends on what you want to do with it. It is simpler than an EQ, usually just one knob. If you want it purely for a volume boost, you will need to find one that is really a clean boost. Some boosts add some color or bump the mids slightly. I personally like boost pedals both for gain and volume boosting. Depending on the pedal, it's worth the money.

mirage2101

It depends on the pedal. On my helix I had the ep boost model on every patch that thing is magic in a pedal. But I’m not sure how it’ll sound after the preamp.

There are true clean boosts that pretty much would do the same as the eq but most boost pedals have a bit of character of their own

I’d rather have a boost that colors my tone as little as possible. That is to say: I want the natural sound of my guitar as unaltered as possible. I definitely prefer the boost on my amp. Other than that, I use the volume control. Volume and tone controls of the guitar is how I prefer to manage everything. When that fails, a transparent boost is desired.

I mostly like my HH Tele for boost. Split the coil for a good rhythm and switch to hum-bucker for a boost. The catch is I prefer my strat and now, my Chapman ML3 Pro semi-hollow.

On the Chapman it seems like they managed the volume and it stays even across the split. That negates the boost effect I want.

On my main amps the boost also bypasses the tone stack but I usually leave it on: again negating the boost.

Volume control it is.

johnniegoat

Stop, don’t, come back.
@beckylou

if you want to colour your sound, the GE7 should be able to do that

if you want an untainted boost, you just push the level control. if you want colour, you use the sliders to add the frequencies you want

if i have learned one thing in my pedal addition, its learn what you can get out of what you got before spending more

i have made my Big Muff sound like an overdrive by putting an eq after it and cutting all the low end; made a TS a wide range boost by scooping mids after it; made a wide range boost a TS by boosting mids; etc

(sorry - lots of YT vids to come....)

Dan and Mick know a bit about eq i than i do

as does Brian Wampler

and Mr JHS

(this first link is the best, but won't embed as a video)+

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foK6OfdEve0&t=22s

@johnniegoat thanks! Looks like the GE-7 will do the trick, I thought it might.
Reason for buying another one is I'm running dual channel and I only have an EQ for the left side so, having a right side EQ makes sense. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing a trick.

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
@beckylou

if you want to colour your sound, the GE7 should be able to do that

if you want an untainted boost, you just push the level control. if you want colour, you use the sliders to add the frequencies you want

if i have learned one thing in my pedal addition, its learn what you can get out of what you got before spending more

i have made my Big Muff sound like an overdrive by putting an eq after it and cutting all the low end; made a TS a wide range boost by scooping mids after it; made a wide range boost a TS by boosting mids; etc

(sorry - lots of YT vids to come....)

Dan and Mick know a bit about eq i than i do

as does Brian Wampler

and Mr JHS

(this first link is the best, but won't embed as a video)+

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foK6OfdEve0&t=22s

I am going to watch all of these this weekend. I've been thinking of using an EQ to clean up a dirty amp to see if I can get away with playing with just my Jim Root Terror. I just love that thing too much. It's that or Kemper maybe, still not decided.