Anyone getting a british standard chapman?

Lonestar

SC Relics Guitars
I don’t think it’s petty @Soap Distant but of course I had better watch my mouth incase my own site and business becomes the focus of scrutiny. I agree about PE, his work is absolutely stunning and his pricing is very fair. Do Sims do their own models? I’m sure we could list a bunch of luthiers between us who could have done these guitars but again, Sims is probably the only place that has the means to do it to a set lead in time.

Lonestar

SC Relics Guitars
I know of at least one other guitar company in the UK that has the capacity to make them and was asked, but they declined.
I’d imagine the initial influx of shop models would be too much for nearly any sole luthier to handle. Outside of Sims and Crimson I suppose you’re getting into other luthiers who don’t have the means to take on such work.

Copied from Facebook today:

"PRESS RELEASE: The demand for the British Standard Series has exceeded all our wildest expectations, and as a result the workshop Chapman Guitars uses to manufacture them is unable to offer the capacity required.
As a result we have decided open our own British workshop in Brighton, something that we are very excited about.
This will unfortunately mean delays to the manufacturing process while we relocate, but ultimately having our own workshop back at Chapman HQ gives us more control and opens the door for many exciting opportunities in the future. Chapman Guitars"

Interesting! I admit that I was very skeptical about the British Standards but they seem to be a roaring success somewhere, so I'm pleasantly surprised.

Soap Distant

The Big Kahuna (again!)
"PRESS RELEASE: The demand for the British Standard Series has been so unbelievably poor, that the workshop Chapman Guitars uses to manufacture them can't be bothered to make them any longer. We have therefore decided to knock them up out of leftover bits in Rob's spare room. If anyone has some glue and a spray can that we can borrow, we would be very grateful."

FTFY

Wade Garrett

I am the projectionist.
I find it odd that we've never seen one at all, not one, but they need to have their own place to keep up with demand? How many do we reckon Sims could make a month? I'm not convinced.

Don't get me wrong, if this is true then fair play to them, I'm glad it's a success. It's just weird that no one that has bought a several thousand pound guitar has said "look what I got! I love it, it's worth every penny" etc. If you spend that much on a guitar then you have to love it to bits and want to show it off.

I think there's some spin going on here.

Soap Distant

The Big Kahuna (again!)
Every guitar I've ever had, I've joined at least one forum dedicated to that brand: The Patrick Eggle forum for my Berlin Pro. Jemsite when I got my JEM Jr. The Strat forum when I got my Foto Flame.

This is the only Chapman forum that I know of, and certainly the largest. I can't believe for one minute that at least one of the multitude who have supposedly bought one wouldn't have popped up in here to wave their cock around. I'm sorry, but I'm calling bullshit.

A-D-L

Northern Monkey
I'm quite surprised I haven't seen a single post about one of these guitars yet. I had quick scour of the internet yesterday for reviews but returned empty handed.

This is only Chapman forum to my knowledge but Rob and the team don't really advertise it, which is fine by me, I like the small size of it.

Still don't think i'd go Chapman for this price and custom spec though.

Lonestar

SC Relics Guitars
This is interesting. And I agree with all the comments above so I won’t rehash anything.

What will be very interesting is to see if the prices drop after the move. Take Sims’s cut out of the £3500 and surely it’s into Les Paul Standard sort of money?

ShredRex5150

I would never ever pay that much for a guitar, don't care who makes it lol. But I will however continue to search endlessly for the first "got my BSC" unboxing video.

Lonestar

SC Relics Guitars
Thinking about this more... what they’re undertaking is pretty big. They’ll need a workshop, spray booth, drying/gassing off area and a luthier plus all the tools required to build guitars. Of course it can be done and I’ll sure the capital is there. But it’s still a massive job. I suspect Sims are too busy doing their own thing to take on the work permanently or there haven’t been enough orders to justify a contract of sorts. I could be very very wrong though

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
Thinking about this more... what they’re undertaking is pretty big. They’ll need a workshop, spray booth, drying/gassing off area and a luthier plus all the tools required to build guitars. Of course it can be done and I’ll sure the capital is there. But it’s still a massive job. I suspect Sims are too busy doing their own thing to take on the work permanently or there haven’t been enough orders to justify a contract of sorts. I could be very very wrong though
If I see the workshop where my custom guitar were built, you can do a lot with very little space. They are not mass producing.

You can easily equip a small workshop for ten grand, and that's peanuts. Sure, you can spend a lot more on fancy machines if you want to, but it's not necessary. I presume they need at least two luthiers if they are talking about demand far outstripping supply, and that's more expensive although luthiers are not generally a very well-paid bunch. One decent luthier and an apprentice, with a CNC machine to do a lot of the grunt work, would be able to make a surprising number of guitars every month.

Remember that these are not actually custom guitars because they are standard designs - as far as I can see, there's no customisation of options so you can knock them out in batches. PRS has said that the S2 series was designed to be made with 20 man hours, so that gives two guitars per luthier per week. Call it 15 guitars per week to allow for holidays etc. (45 working weeks, times two guitars, times two luthiers = 180 guitars per year), say the wholesale price is two grand and that's thirty grand a month.

Costs....let's be generous and say the materials cost £400 per guitar, that's six grand. Ten grand for your two staff (generous again), let's say another four grand for your premises, depreciation of equipment and miscellaneous expenses, and you've spent twenty grand a month, leaving 10k profit. Not too bad... :)

Lonestar

SC Relics Guitars
If I see the workshop where my custom guitar were built, you can do a lot with very little space. They are not mass producing.
Oh I know... my workshop is 10’x 20’, my spray room is 5’x7’, the pre spray room is about 6’x8’ and the dry room is roughly 6’x6’. But the workshop and drying area are away from the spray booth. Given that these guys will be shooting set neck guitars they’ll need a decent sized spray area. If they contracted this work out they’d save a decent amount of money id imagine. Again, it depends how many are actually being made.

Soap Distant

The Big Kahuna (again!)
There are a few advertised on Andertons' website. The cynical part of me (comprising roughly 98% of my body mass the last time I checked) wonders if these are all the NAMM display models from 2018.