$40 pawn shop Strat

drittal

Nerd on the Prairie
Some of you may remember a year or so my friend and I both scored strats at a local pawn shop. While mine was a nice 80’s Squier, his was a basket case with no ID other than a MIJ bridge. The neck fit terribly in the pocket, the frets and board were disgusting. Pickups were barely there and one missing a magnet. It was crazy heavy ash body though. He sanded down the body and stained it.m but it sprinkled while it was drying and caused some spotting. He ordered a cheap neck but found it was a hair too large to fit the pocket and it didn’t line up right with the bridge. The 2 pickguards he ordered also don’t fit the body well. He lost motivation because the work needed was out of his comfort zone.

I told him I could try to finish it for him.

I hit the body with some steel wool and have the spots pretty much gone. Will tongue oil it later this week.

I fitted the neck with fender staggered tuners today then turned my attention to the neck pocket.

59450654254__86708AE8-4530-4745-B6CE-A9DAD32B54AF.JPG IMG_6544.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Garythesnail

OK - am I the only dull bugger who really likes the neatly routed pickup cavities and the fact that they've also been painted black?

I'm also a big fan of the Hulk green.:clap:

drittal

Nerd on the Prairie
That looks sweet.

Really needs a Perspex scratch. :)
I’m trying to convince him but he thinks the cavity and back of the scratch plate need to be copper taped despite it getting humbuckers.

drittal

Nerd on the Prairie
I tried to “stain” the original pickguard with coffee. Fail.
59468719769__D1B0EA96-5F00-40AC-A7DC-54C63408315C.JPG

And the pickguard isn’t standard sized, so buying something off the shelf is pretty much not an option.

So here I am...
IMG_6565.JPG
IMG_6568.JPG

drittal

Nerd on the Prairie
Tea is a more powerful stain agent than coffee. We have also recently found out (from have daughter stay with us) that hair dye is pretty much un-removable from plastic parts (expensive white toilet seats for example).
I don’t keep tea around the house, so I used what I had. The one pic has a standard Strat PG on top of the plexi piece to show the size difference.

On a positive note what I’m working on ATM is plexiglass!

drittal

Nerd on the Prairie
It’s been a while. Only thing I’ve been doing is applying coat after coat of Tung oil with a day of drying and a light sanding with steel wool between. The open grain is starting to fill in. Hopefully by this weekend I can block sand it smooth and give her one final coat. This is 5 coats...

mirage2101

It’s been a while. Only thing I’ve been doing is applying coat after coat of Tung oil with a day of drying and a light sanding with steel wool between. The open grain is starting to fill in. Hopefully by this weekend I can block sand it smooth and give her one final coat. This is 5 coats...

I love how it looks!
Is there a reason you want to fill up the grain? I kinda like it if you can feel a bit of grain.

drittal

Nerd on the Prairie
I have been dreading wiring this pig. I have never actually found a diagram detailing what I needed. The SEymour Duncan everything axe wiring diagram uses two tone pots and SD wire colors. I did find a diagram for 3 singles and the bridge on switch and i was trying to figure out how to reconcile the two to make one. As an additional monkey wrench the 5 way wasn’t like any I found online. Grr! 3 revamps of the wiring and I thought I had it! It was playing and it was switching but I had the tone pot wired wrong. DOH!