Wuzza's Art Adventure (pic heavy)

Wuzza

long time lurker
Thought I'd post this to contribute a bit as I'm not playing guitar atm, and to give you 'orrible lot something new to read during lockdown. I've got quite a few paintings done so far, some better than others, some still works in progress, some will be covered over I'm sure, and others already have been but I thought it best to photograph them all so I can see my progress over time. Also means I wont spam any other threads with them. :) (and maybe if I post my fails as well it might inspire someone else to give it a go)

I used to be pretty good at art at school, mainly observational, still life etc., but screwed up my GCSE as I got bored with that and did something out of the box for my exam and ended up with a D. I've doodled now and again over the years, and recently wanted to start drawing, partly inspired by taking up D+D again but I never found the inspiration or entry point to begin. Queue stroke and I found myself with an awful lot of time on my hands where I couldn't physically do much, so a lot of youtubing ensued. Once my recovery was on its way, aided by the fact I moved back in with my folks, and my mom has a craft room, I started to play around with some paints.

This was the first one, followed loosely from a YouTube tutorial. Fortunately it came out pretty well, even though it was quite simple, and gave me the impetus to continue.

IMAG0227small.jpg

I think if I hadn't been somewhat happy with this, I may well have stopped at this point. After this many ideas jumped through my head and I started a few paintings of different styles.

IMAG0222small.jpg
Parrot was going to be very loosely done, so this was just colour blocked in. Had a couple of goes with the background and I was never that happy with it. Has since been painted over.

IMAG0234small.jpg
Wanted a go at expressionism and faces, combined the two with a "study" of Jennifer Anniston. Ok for a first attempt, obviously never finished although still survives. I may go back to it but more than likely will be overpainted now.

91190850_10156592552502924_139956001875951616_osmall.jpg
The clown satisfies my darker side. Started as a blending practice with the cloud/smoke. It still lives, I wanted to make him holding an ice-cream, I may go back to this.

Last edited:

Wuzza

long time lurker
I always thought I would be the sort of painter who strove for realism, as I've always been detail orientated and ultra-picky, although I've always loved expressionism and abstraction but it's something I thought I was too "straight" to be able to do.
This one was as much experimentation as trying to make a finished piece. The idea of what I wanted I think is there, but the finished piece is a bit crap tbh. There was also far too much texture on the canvas to overpaint it, so this was the first one to hit the bin. Still, it was a good learning tool.

IMAG0233small.jpg

I then went back to a scenic idea, from a random picture I found on the web. (I have tons of these now)

IMAG0235small.jpg

I was really happy with how 50% of this one turned out. It took a few sittings and reworkings to get it done, but in the end I overworked the left hand tree far too much and it literally looks like thick paint. The red one too, although not to the same extent. Not perfect, but boosted my confidence a little, and at least I was able to recognise where I was going wrong without being too self-critical. (something I've historically struggled to do)

Wade Garrett

I am the projectionist.
I always thought I would be the sort of painter who strove for realism, as I've always been detail orientated and ultra-picky, although I've always loved expressionism and abstraction but it's something I thought I was too "straight" to be able to do.
This one was as much experimentation as trying to make a finished piece. The idea of what I wanted I think is there, but the finished piece is a bit crap tbh. There was also far too much texture on the canvas to overpaint it, so this was the first one to hit the bin. Still, it was a good learning tool.

View attachment 39122

I then went back to a scenic idea, from a random picture I found on the web. (I have tons of these now)

View attachment 39123

I was really happy with how 50% of this one turned out. It took a few sittings and reworkings to get it done, but in the end I overworked the left hand tree far too much and it literally looks like thick paint. The red one too, although not to the same extent. Not perfect, but boosted my confidence a little, and at least I was able to recognise where I was going wrong without being too self-critical. (something I've historically struggled to do)
They look great mate. You should definitely carry on with it. That clown is creeping me out! :D

Wuzza

long time lurker
So many ideas, no idea how to do them! :bounce:

I decided to work on painting "loose". So had a go at a few pieces in a small A5 pad I had. Not to be anything noteworthy, just to get me out of my comfort zone and let go a bit.

The Ancient One from Dr Strange... I actually quite like this in a cute way, kind of remind me of an Anime character. Was please with the clothing as it wasn't sketched first (which would be my natural inclination) just paint straight on.
IMAG0244small.jpg

What can I say, I use left over paint to but down backgrounds, and this one reminded me a bit of the Avengers. So Hulk it was........ after an all you can eat at the local steak house..... with a moustache...... :p
IMAG0245small.jpg

I don't like this third one. The shark (hopefully you can tell! :)) is done with triangles, with the background slap-dashed together. Still, I learnt that, for me, the two styles don't mix, so that's a plus.
IMG_20200415_114527small.jpg

Wuzza

long time lurker
Thanks @lasombra, I appreciate the encouragement. :)

I'm not really sure about the timescale of the next few pieces, as I had a lot of things on the go at once, as by now I had a rather large folder of pictures I'd found in styles that I wanted to try.

I guess this one is the most relevant to the forum. :) Named after my boss' son who I showed how to play Summer of 69, which ignited his enthusiasm for guitar, which was nice. Legs are a bit short, but overall happy with it.
Tedsmall.jpg

Taken from a Youtube tutorial, done with a pallet knife. It's fun to do, but really easy to end up with a muddy mess of colour.
IMAG02471mini.jpg

It's about now I went back to the human form. Tried going minimalist.
IMG_20200409_192428 mini.jpg

beans & rice

Your painting style has a lot of energy and dynamics in design and brushwork. Love the use of intense, vibrant colors. Lots of form and definition is created among the overall bold strokes because of you effectively blend the colors and shades.

Wuzza

long time lurker
@beans & rice Wow dude, thank you so much, that's very kind of you. That's definitely what I'm aiming for, although I'd argue I'm not there yet. :)

#update.Takes this to April/May. Still experimenting. Blatantly copied the idea from an image online, although looks nothing like it. I've come to realise that painting abstract art isn't as simple as you would think. You still need to take into account at least some composition and colour theory. I quite like it.
IMG_20200427_154905small.jpg
Had my first go at properly drawing a face around this time. Took a couple of re-works, but fairly happy with it, the beard/tache isn't ideal, but as it wont be going up on any walls I called it finished. :p

old man.jpg

It was also around this time that the pink elephant cam into existence. And I was really chuffed with this one. This was really the painting that really boosted my confidence, I had no expectation on how it would turn out, just that I was going to approach it as minimalist as possible. Releasing yourself from conscious critique is so hard, but I managed it here, didn't second guess myself at all, and it took about 10 mins.

IMG_20200503_192207small.jpg