Writing a review of Monkey Fest 2011 - Need ideas...

Discussion in 'MonkeyFest 2011' started by ChrisGeden, Jul 15, 2011.

1. ChrisGeden

ChrisGeden Active Member

Hey guys,

Been a while since I've been on here - glad to be back. I'm looking for some ideas for a review I'm doing on MF 2011 for Live4Guitar.com - any suggestions welcome!

So far I have the overall experience down but maybe some more focus on the artists?

2. Niels Beier

Niels Beier Member

Godsized rocked the roof of the house!
    Sons of Icarus got people going, and created an awesome vibe there.
    Andy James, Guthrie Govan, Alex Hutchins, Fred Brum and Adam Ironside turned the audiences brains into soup.

- Sorry, but that's kinda all I remember!

3. digitalscream

digitalscream Well-Known Member

Don't forget Jess Lewis was absolutely astonishing - as everybody kept saying, once the boys from St John's had helped them recover and reattach their lower jaws.

4. ChrisGeden

ChrisGeden Active Member

Those are all the exact acts that I caught. Guess I got the most important ones by the sounds of things :)

Niels, what did you dig the most about Godsized?

5. Adji

Adji Not Enough Prog

I would emphasise the overall general camaraderie and and sense of community at the entire event, both with artists and campers. The community is not exclusive though and those who had never met on never been on the MLF before were still welcomed with open arms.

Peekaboo and Wire_n_Wood like this.
  6. ChrisGeden

ChrisGeden Active Member

Indeed, Adji - that was something I really noticed. Nice to see people could appreciate that.

Great minds thinking alike here so far.

7. Wire_n_Wood

Wire_n_Wood Part-time Superhero

Mike Dawes and Amy Turk showed that boundaries-to-be-pushed lie not only in how loud you can crank an amp or how many effects you can use to tweek your sound or how many strings you can combine to create magic!

Also it didn't matter that people were meeting each other for the first time. It seemed that music and guitar make people feel like they've known each other for ages. I agree with what Adam said, nobody felt left out, unless they wanted to.

ChrisGeden likes this.
  8. ChrisGeden

ChrisGeden Active Member

9. Wire_n_Wood

No Chris, go ahead and "do eeeet"! :)

10. ChrisGeden

ChrisGeden Active Member

Then I weeeeel!

11. the monkey lord

the monkey lord The Simian Behemoth

YouTube Channel:
    robchappers
    I lyked teh bit with teh guitarz

12. ChrisGeden

ChrisGeden Active Member

I kaant renembre vat part?

13. Steve The Plank

Steve The Plank Well-Known Member

Yeah, was weirdly awesome that it seemed like I had known everyone forever, although it was my first time meeting 99% of people there...

BackInBlack and Adji like this.
  14. ChrisGeden

ChrisGeden Active Member

I had the feeling I'd met you before too...:)

15. Wire_n_Wood

I suppose in our past lives we were no different to what we are today...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Talk about evolution eh?

16. ChrisGeden

ChrisGeden Active Member

I was thinking of wearing the exact same gettup to MF but then I thought I would look like everyone else so I didn't

Wire_n_Wood likes this.
  17. Niels Beier

Niels Beier Member

Their stage presence is just immense! Their riffing, soloing, basslines and drumbeats just make this brilliant wall of metal, and the Godsized machine is simply made to blow the mind of every metal fan.

18. Wire_n_Wood

I also thought that, despite the comeback that modern guitar has made in recent years, it was a big statement from string-nuts and guitar-yielding musicians, kinda like "we're here". It was a breath of fresh air (even at a camping with varying degrees of un-showeriness [sic] :D:D:D) to see that so many people CAN and WANT to play guitar and make music beyond your usual indie-strumming and what have you. Nothing wrong with these, but it was about time some people showed they know how to play an instrument properly, eh?

BackInBlack likes this.
  19. Peekaboo

Peekaboo o.O

Still cannot remember who the friik you remind me of!! Might come to me by next year :rolleyes:

All of the acts were incredible - Godsized were awesome & totally my kinda thing, but I really like Haken (bought their album!), Exist Immortal & Sons of Icarus too! Though Sons of Icarus' sound was WAY different than I expected - in a very good way! :D

As someone who doesn't really play guitar but loves pretty much every aspect of it, I was actually quite nervous about going & meeting all these amazing guitar players and it being awkward, but everyone was SO nice, and made me feel so welcome and at ease. I don't think I felt awkward once, and can genuinely - and soberly - say: I love you guys :cloud9:

20. sted

sted Darth Sted Staff Member

Very nicely put bex, you seemed a little scared of me but I cant hold that against you! :D

As for me, highlights were Godsized, SOI ("Steves just going for his wee, then we'll start" lol!) Guthrie, Adji, the epic jams (Sam, Lyle, Fred, Voodoo etc and Doghouse featuring Chappers ofc!) Rebea's hair (and his playing!) Sticks giant drumsticks, but most of all the relaxed and goodtime nature of it and the fact there was no chavs who needed twatting!

Peekaboo likes this.