World of Warcraft

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Felix, Aug 23, 2018.

1. Felix

Felix Addicted to Grunge

Besides my love for MMO's like World of Warcraft and Final Fantasy 14, I really enjoy playing Sim games. So a lot of racing and flight sim stuff. I really want to have a try on DCS , Digital Combat Simulator, which mixes ground and air warfare up, so you have have some epic matches, where you ground troops can call in air support etc. These games normally have really hardcore players, who will run multiple screens and have all the fancy flight controls etc. Many of them have optimisation for SLi / X-Fire.

When SLi started to become popular, I got myself a Dell XPS with SLi. When it arrived, the first thing I did was take out some of the parts and put much better, faster or bigger ones in. I had dual Nvidia 630GT's , so about 14 years ago. It's something I have always liked, but it seems almost everyone I mention SLi too online, suddenly jumps out of their chair, screaming at their screen "NO FELIX NO!"

I would like to do it eventually, as it will be another thing I will need to work out and configure, so it only runs on one card when in a set list of programmes and/or is in a performance profile, such as gaming mode.

The Core i7 my friend got me, is the i7 870 Quad core 2.9ghz CPU that is from the LGA1156 family. I've been going through tons of different makes and models of motherboard, that are of a good quality and are under £110. Asus do the P7P55D series of motherboards, I think I only saw one ROG board, as it was the only red one I came across.

I have found a LGA1156 Alienware board, which has all the specs I require from the new board. I will have to take another look, using "Republic of Gamers" in the search title.

2. Felix

Felix Addicted to Grunge

I've just done a modified search and suddenly discovered a lot of extra boards my original search quotation failed to pick up. I have earmarked two ROG boards earlier. They seem to be about £98 to £132 for the LGA1156 boards.

Tetanus likes this.
  3. Felix

Felix Addicted to Grunge

I've got things set to max on both WoW and FF14 and I'm hitting the max FPS limit of 100 and in game it is now sitting in the higher 65 FPS.

Next step is I need an SSD ASAP, then Motherboard and RAM.

Robstafarian likes this.
  4. Felix

Felix Addicted to Grunge

Finally managed to get an old laptop hard disk formatted correctly to put in my MacBook, which allowed me to install my Samsung SSD into the big PC. The massive change in how quickly the computer runs, is amazing.

Tetanus likes this.
  5. Felix

Felix Addicted to Grunge

Next steps will either to get a more modern quad core so I can use DDR4 or simple stick with the i7 I was given and get 16GB of DDR3 RAM. Either way I will need a new motherboard.

6. Tetanus

Tetanus Well-Known Member

the i7 is great. Also, your computer won't use its capabilities during running a game.
    In my opinion, since you got an i7, you could stick with the DDR3s, and spend your money on a quality motherboard and graphics card.

By the way, i am playing the Witcher 3 lately a lot... it's a great game...

Felix likes this.
  7. Felix

Felix Addicted to Grunge

I played through the Witcher 3 and the DLC's twice over, which I've never done on anything other than Diablo 3.

I know I can overclock the i7 to be easily in the mid 3.5ghz and with 16gb of dd3 RAM, it should keep things ticking over nicely. I am glad I put my really nice SSD in the system and the load times were fucking killing me before!

8. Felix

Felix Addicted to Grunge

Finally got to 110 this morning and I'm just starting the BfA content!