World of Warcraft

Felix

Addicted to Grunge
Using multiple GPUs can be terrible for game compatibility.
Besides my love for MMO's like World of Warcraft and Final Fantasy 14, I really enjoy playing Sim games. So a lot of racing and flight sim stuff. I really want to have a try on DCS , Digital Combat Simulator, which mixes ground and air warfare up, so you have have some epic matches, where you ground troops can call in air support etc. These games normally have really hardcore players, who will run multiple screens and have all the fancy flight controls etc. Many of them have optimisation for SLi / X-Fire.

When SLi started to become popular, I got myself a Dell XPS with SLi. When it arrived, the first thing I did was take out some of the parts and put much better, faster or bigger ones in. I had dual Nvidia 630GT's , so about 14 years ago. It's something I have always liked, but it seems almost everyone I mention SLi too online, suddenly jumps out of their chair, screaming at their screen "NO FELIX NO!"

I would like to do it eventually, as it will be another thing I will need to work out and configure, so it only runs on one card when in a set list of programmes and/or is in a performance profile, such as gaming mode.

Don't bother with multiple GPUs.
But i would recommend an ASUS, ROG edition motherboard.
(ROG = Republic if Gamers)
Great audio on board, extremely easy to adjust everything to get a better performance.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Core i7 my friend got me, is the i7 870 Quad core 2.9ghz CPU that is from the LGA1156 family. I've been going through tons of different makes and models of motherboard, that are of a good quality and are under £110. Asus do the P7P55D series of motherboards, I think I only saw one ROG board, as it was the only red one I came across.

I have found a LGA1156 Alienware board, which has all the specs I require from the new board. I will have to take another look, using "Republic of Gamers" in the search title.

Felix

Addicted to Grunge
I've just done a modified search and suddenly discovered a lot of extra boards my original search quotation failed to pick up. I have earmarked two ROG boards earlier. They seem to be about £98 to £132 for the LGA1156 boards.

Felix

Addicted to Grunge
I've got things set to max on both WoW and FF14 and I'm hitting the max FPS limit of 100 and in game it is now sitting in the higher 65 FPS.

Next step is I need an SSD ASAP, then Motherboard and RAM.

Felix

Addicted to Grunge
Finally managed to get an old laptop hard disk formatted correctly to put in my MacBook, which allowed me to install my Samsung SSD into the big PC. The massive change in how quickly the computer runs, is amazing.

Felix

Addicted to Grunge
Next steps will either to get a more modern quad core so I can use DDR4 or simple stick with the i7 I was given and get 16GB of DDR3 RAM. Either way I will need a new motherboard.

Tetanus

the i7 is great. Also, your computer won't use its capabilities during running a game.
In my opinion, since you got an i7, you could stick with the DDR3s, and spend your money on a quality motherboard and graphics card.

By the way, i am playing the Witcher 3 lately a lot... it's a great game...

Felix

Addicted to Grunge
I played through the Witcher 3 and the DLC's twice over, which I've never done on anything other than Diablo 3.

I know I can overclock the i7 to be easily in the mid 3.5ghz and with 16gb of dd3 RAM, it should keep things ticking over nicely. I am glad I put my really nice SSD in the system and the load times were fucking killing me before!

Tetanus

I played through the Witcher 3 and the DLC's twice over, which I've never done on anything other than Diablo 3.

I know I can overclock the i7 to be easily in the mid 3.5ghz and with 16gb of dd3 RAM, it should keep things ticking over nicely. I am glad I put my really nice SSD in the system and the load times were fucking killing me before!
This is the first time for me playing through Witcher 3... I got the DLCs as well. This game is addictive. :D

Felix

Addicted to Grunge
On a side note, I've at last managed to get FF14 working properly. I've been able to play @ 4K with a locked in 60fps with max settings!

This is the first time for me playing through Witcher 3... I got the DLCs as well. This game is addictive. :D
I'm really tempted to get the whole Witcher 3 series on PC. It looked so amazing on my PS4-Pro, but with the games I have on PS4 and PC, the PC versions all seem to have something extra in them, that look so stunning sat close to the screen with the PC.

ScutMonkey

I played from beta in 2004 until about 9-10 years later. I have over a year of playtime on my account and there is no way in hell I'm picking that game back up because it's already sucked up way too much of my time and money, haha.

Felix

Addicted to Grunge
I installed 16GB of Kingston HyperX Fury RAM last night. Fuck a duck this system keeps getting better. Next stage is a really nice motherboard (MSI ROG) so I can unlock the i7!

Felix

Addicted to Grunge
The guild I was in were really not the most chatty friendly bunch, plus I really loathed being Horde. Luckily some RL friends of my here in Oxford were still playing.

I've now transferred to Alliance and to the EU server Frostmane. I've also reverted back to playing a Gnome, which is really my favorite race to play as in the game!

PC is working really well with all the upgrades I've done. The final piece to be added is a decent motherboard so I can unlock the true speed my i7 has.

Tetanus

The guild I was in were really not the most chatty friendly bunch, plus I really loathed being Horde. Luckily some RL friends of my here in Oxford were still playing.

I've now transferred to Alliance and to the EU server Frostmane. I've also reverted back to playing a Gnome, which is really my favorite race to play as in the game!

PC is working really well with all the upgrades I've done. The final piece to be added is a decent motherboard so I can unlock the true speed my i7 has.
What's wrong with the Horde ?
Why did you loathe being Horde?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Felix

Addicted to Grunge
Most of the time I have spent on the game back in WotLK I was an Alliance DK. I know that side of things much more than the Horde.

On the server I was on, the large number of Horde players I interacted with were either young, arrogant or elitist. The main storyline for the Horde in BFA, really didn't sit well with me.

I find the Horde areas really dull and chaotic, whereas the Ally side of things seem to be much brighter and easier to navigate.

Finally, I just really missed playing as a Gnome. Gnome DK's are such a blast to play as, thanks to all the jumping and swirling animations, which make me feel like Yoda in Return of the Sith!

My FF14 guild have a lot of players who also do WoW, they are a mix of both sides. My RL friends who play, are on the Ally side of things, so this meant I swapped over to Ally, as I miss playing and chatting with people I use to spend a lot of time drinking and partying with. I've not been able to go out in many years, so to reconnect through WoW, makes me feel a step closer to getting my old social life back.

Felix

Addicted to Grunge
Not done an update for a while.

I hit 120 a few weeks ago, after joining my RL friends in a guild. Really love the stuff I have been doing in the game, yet to do the raids or the Mythic dungeons, but have been slowly gearing up, which is pretty easy to do.

There is SOOOOOOOOOOO much hate towards BFA and WoW on the offical forums and with Youtube. The elite arseholes bitching about not feeling special enough, as they see themselves better than the average player and lazy/low ability players are moaning because the latest addon that records players progress is preventing them from getting into parties for the harder content.

Really glad I got this upgraded system together, but really need to get a different motherboard so I can unlock this old i7 and overclock it to 4ghz, which should stop the bottleneck I am getting with WoW. My Gigabyte GTX1080 8GB Turbo OC edition graphics card really is working well with the other games I am playing on my PC.

Soap Distant

The Big Kahuna (again!)
I've been considering getting the latest expansion (I usually get the latest then resub for 3 months), but lately I've been playing vanilla WoW on a private server. As far as system spec for WoW, the requirements are very low. Anything higher than a GTX950 is unnecessary. I'm running an overclocked ASUS Strix edition on a watercooled 12 core i7 overclocked to 5ghz, and it can run wow perfectly. Even a bog standard i5 with 8gb ram will be fine.

Anyway, I'm too busy playing Fallout 76 to play much WoW. Don't believe the haters, it's a great game, and you can get it for less than 15 quid on cdkeys.com

Felix

Addicted to Grunge
Blizzard have been rewriting the game engine and upgrading many of the models in game. This has meant a lot of the bitching on the WoW forums are from people who's system is unable to play the game smoothly.

Blizzard have been rewriting the game engine and upgrading many of the models in game. This has meant a lot of the bitching on the WoW forums are from people who's system is unable to play the game smoothly.
Oh really? Does the game look a lot better overall now then? I played from Vanilla, on and off for over 10 years. Sank far too many hours (days, weeks, months?) into the game so don't plan on returning soon. Every now and then I get the urge though haha.