World of Warcraft

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Felix, Aug 23, 2018.

1. Felix

Felix Addicted to Grunge

As I had mentioned in some other threads/posts, I am returning to WoW after not being able to get into my account as I had forgotten to remove the authenticator from my account, when I formatted the iPhone that had the special app's individual serial code.

I don't have photo ID and due to me not having any and the backup security using an SMS message, was set to a number I no longer used.

I had been following some reviews of the latest expansion for WoW. I was really impressed with all the new areas and content added between 2013 and last week. This lead to me finding out a load of my old gaming buddies from '03 onwards were all starting to play together.

I spoke to Blizzard customer support this morning and I was stunned to find out, they would reset my account login for me and my old batter paper driving licence was ok. They just needed to see a pic of the front with my name and address and they then needed a pic of the licence fully unfolded. With in 5 minuets, I had my accounts again. I quickly bought the latest expansion and a months subscription, only for me to put it on the wrong WoW account (I had two copies of WoW on my Battlenet account. One was my really old account and the other was totally empty). Customer support then came to the rescue again, refunding me the money and locking the blank WoW account, so I couldn't have this happen again.

Anyway, I am now having to get up to speed on how to play my class, as it's been a really long time since I had played and so much content had changed. Tomorrow I should be able to fire up my old gaming PC for the first time in years and have the fun of getting all the software and addons I need to use in WoW. Last time I played, I had a 24" LCD monitor, now I will be using a 43" 4K UHD HDR TV, which actually has really small LED's, that will keep a sharp image even up close!

I was wondering if anyone else on the forums dabbles on WoW, espcally WoW EU?

Tetanus likes this.
  2. GloopyJon

GloopyJon Woof!

I played WoW a lot for several years, but stopped a few years ago. I was tempted to try it again a couple of years ago but (a) I'd rather lost interest because I'd played it to death before, and (b) it eats up far too much time that I'd rather spend on playing or making guitars these days.

However, I am eagerly awaiting a new game called Two Point Hospital, which is the successor to Theme Hospital from 1997.

Tetanus and Felix like this.
  3. Felix

Felix Addicted to Grunge

I use to love the games from the mid to late 90's! Was there a Sim block, where you had to run an office block or something, or did that fall under Theme Hospital?

4. Tetanus

Tetanus Well-Known Member

I tried WoW for a few months, years ago.
    I felt that game is too big and i was trying to play on my own...
    I never get around why is it a good game as it was silly minor quests which didn't give me any achievements, gear or loot but take way too long and just ate up my time...

Pity, because i love fantasy and i really was looking forward to play WoW back in the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
    Felix likes this.
  5. Felix

Felix Addicted to Grunge

I personally rate Final Fantasy 14 as an all round better MMO. You can play with people who own either the PC, Mac or PS4 versions of the game. I was able to level from 1 to 70 on my own really easily using a normal PS4. I would however advise using a PS4-Pro is you want to use a console.

On the EU and Japanese servers, people are very friendly and they tend to be willing to go easy on new players. The North American servers seem to be more hostile towards others, going by what it said on the FF14 forums.

I logged into WoW on my Macbook Pro. It's a pretty old one but yet, I was able to get into the game with everything turned down (but not to the lowest settings). FF14 is a much more beautiful game all round, but it is very Japanese in the art style.

I've not seriously played since 2010 and the main reason would be due to not having anyone to play with most of the time. WoW is much bigger than I was on last and leaps and bounds bigger than FF14.

If you want to have a try, I don't mind helping you find your feet if you want to play the game. You can get level boosts right upto 110 these days, but I always advise people to level up at least once, so you learn the game.

Tetanus likes this.
  6. Felix

Felix Addicted to Grunge

Managed to play for a bit. I really need to get a modern graphics card, something like an Nvidia 1060 6GB should allow me to get much smoother game play until I upgrade the rest of the system.

Tetanus and Robstafarian like this.
  7. Robstafarian

Robstafarian The Good and Wise Call Me “Rufus”

I recommend waiting for NVIDIA GeForce RTX line to be fleshed out: the 2080 Ti, 2080, and 2070 have been announced thus far. I suspect that a hypothetical 2050 would be all I need, though I may have to go with a 2060—supposing NVIDIA makes one.

Felix likes this.
  8. Felix

Felix Addicted to Grunge

Cost is a big issue for the time being. I can pick up a 1060 pretty easily and it will make a big impact on my current setup.

Tetanus likes this.
  9. Robstafarian

A 2060 or 2050, supposing they will be announced later, should be the same price or a bit less money.

10. Felix

Felix Addicted to Grunge

I thinking used for the time being Roberto. Until the cypto currencey bubble bursts, it's always going to be so expensive to pick up anything new.

Tetanus and Robstafarian like this.
  11. Brandon Adams

Brandon Adams You've got red on you.

YouTube Channel:
    BrandonAdamsMusic
    I effectively live it. But I'm on NA :(

Robstafarian and Felix like this.
  12. Felix

Felix Addicted to Grunge

I've been putting in as much as I can handle for the time being. My "special" copy of Win 7 Ultimate had to be replaced with a copy of Win 10 Pro, so I had to download everything again.

It's really odd playing it again after all this time. I have caused some players to loose their minds as they see my "Big Blizzard Bear" for what must be the first time in game. Shame about being on the NA side of things.

Tetanus likes this.
  13. Brandon Adams

YouTube Channel:
    BrandonAdamsMusic
    My god... I made a started edition EU account to test my ping. I get the exact same ping to EU Ravencrest as I do to US Moon Guard. I'll probably level a Rogue on there at somepoint

Felix and Robstafarian like this.
  14. Tetanus

@Felix I got a 1060, 6gb.... It is more than enough for most of the games. Especially for WoW as it doesn't need the latest and best hardware... my old gtx760 was more than enough for WoW.
    i would expect that the 2xxx series line will cost a fortune... but on the bright side, most people would go for the new 2xxx series so we could buy a 1080 for a decent price. :)

Felix likes this.
  15. Robstafarian

Please, include your resolution when making such statements. I have long held the 1060 in mind as all I would need for 1920x1200 gaming; however, it has been long enough that I would rather hold out for a 2060 or 2050.

16. Felix

Felix Addicted to Grunge

WoW is a 1900 x 1200 game, but my screen is a 4K unit, hence I just want the extra beef. Even more so when I eventually get Final Fantasy 14 running on my PC.

17. Robstafarian

A 1060 cannot be depended upon to handle 4k gaming.

18. Brandon Adams

YouTube Channel:
    BrandonAdamsMusic
    I've heard Final Fantasy is maybe one of the best optimized games out there. My 980ti has 0 difference from 1080-4k on WoW. It jumps from around 30-35% to 55-60% usage (10xx series equivalent being the 1070) but it is all CPU bound, you'll always be CPU limited in WoW and most MMOs'. A 1060 should be able to do WoW 4k without much if no problems. Other games you are kinda pushing it. For example you can probably expect about 30-40 FPS in a witcher 3 at 4k medium-high. Entirely depends on what you are going to be playing. But maybe a cheap used 1070 or a 1080 if you're lucky in a few months would be the best option.

and by no problem I mean. around 144+ in empty zones without a ton of vegitation/anything pre mists. 100-144 mists-WoD. 90-120 Legion+BFA. 30-50 in whatever town is current.

Felix likes this.
  19. Brandon Adams

YouTube Channel:
    BrandonAdamsMusic
  20. Tetanus

1900x1200 here too. i am not saying the 1060 is "so great", but i don't have the money for even a 1080, so the 2xxx series are a big No for me...

Felix likes this.