will kemper kill amp gas?

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
FML. I find myself wanting to revisit a Kemper to see if my opinion has changed. As the Thoughts on Gear and GAS thread has got me thinking again. I'm going to ask somebody I know if he can arrange one for me to try in the practice space. I wonder....

mirage2101

FML. I find myself wanting to revisit a Kemper to see if my opinion has changed. As the Thoughts on Gear and GAS thread has got me thinking again. I'm going to ask somebody I know if he can arrange one for me to try in the practice space. I wonder....
You might want to try two different setups.
- Use an FRFR speaker. plus point is that you can do cab emulation. possible downside is that you'll get the sound as recorded by a mic on the cab. The kemper cab essentially is this, but you can use any FRFR speaker ofcourse. I'm not sure how much the speaker influences the sound.
- Go monitor out into the fx return of a (tube) amp to a cab. The downside is you're removing some of the profiling. Especially for profiles of combo's that might be a downside. The upside is that you're getting the profile of a head and putting it through a cab. So this makes the kemper a head simulator instead of a rig simulator and removes the miced sound thing. Using an appropriate tube amp running clean really improved the feel and sound over using the katana as power stage.

Depending on situation and what you're looking for either might be a good option. For me it makes it possible to play high wattage amps on a regular home volume. I can imagine you'd want cab emulation for your gigs though.

Good to know: On the monitor out, cab emulation is always off.

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
You might want to try two different setups.
- Use an FRFR speaker. plus point is that you can do cab emulation. possible downside is that you'll get the sound as recorded by a mic on the cab. The kemper cab essentially is this, but you can use any FRFR speaker ofcourse. I'm not sure how much the speaker influences the sound.
- Go monitor out into the fx return of a (tube) amp to a cab. The downside is you're removing some of the profiling. Especially for profiles of combo's that might be a downside. The upside is that you're getting the profile of a head and putting it through a cab. So this makes the kemper a head simulator instead of a rig simulator and removes the miced sound thing. Using an appropriate tube amp running clean really improved the feel and sound over using the katana as power stage.

Depending on situation and what you're looking for either might be a good option. For me it makes it possible to play high wattage amps on a regular home volume. I can imagine you'd want cab emulation for your gigs though.

Good to know: On the monitor out, cab emulation is always off.
I was thinking of trying one straight to the PA in our practice space. It's a decent PA, so it should give me a good idea of how that sounds. Then to AB I was thinking of playing it through the Effects Return of an amp as well. I was actually wondering about the cabinet profiles. It will never sound the same as a cabinet in a room, because the mic has it's own character as well.

My ideal setup would be a Kemper, with a power amp, through a cabinet. I think I would go Kemper Rack, with a separate power amp, just to keep the versatility and I like the look of it better.

But let's not get ahead of ourselves. This is just me thinking out loud. I want to try one and see if I my opinion has changed. As I've mentioned before. I like the sound. I think they sound great. I understand why many bands use them. I just never liked the feel. But as I find myself caring less and less about details and more and more about efficiency, Kemper seems like the smart thing to at least try out once.

mirage2101

I was thinking of trying one straight to the PA in our practice space. It's a decent PA, so it should give me a good idea of how that sounds. Then to AB I was thinking of playing it through the Effects Return of an amp as well. I was actually wondering about the cabinet profiles. It will never sound the same as a cabinet in a room, because the mic has it's own character as well.

My ideal setup would be a Kemper, with a power amp, through a cabinet. I think I would go Kemper Rack, with a separate power amp, just to keep the versatility and I like the look of it better.

But let's not get ahead of ourselves. This is just me thinking out loud. I want to try one and see if I my opinion has changed. As I've mentioned before. I like the sound. I think they sound great. I understand why many bands use them. I just never liked the feel. But as I find myself caring less and less about details and more and more about efficiency, Kemper seems like the smart thing to at least try out once.
The way the cab profiles are done is cause of the "not sounding like an amp in the room"thing. Using a power amp and cab gets around that. Profiles can be "direct" Kemper to input to fx out or a loud box with output. Or a studio profile that is recorded with mics. A lot of profiles sold are merged and have both forms. For combo's the studio profile is probably better. For all the rest, you'd use your cab anyway so I'm inclined to go to the direct type.

It's a fun experiment. I expected the power amp not to matter a lot. After all it makes sense to use a transistor amp without character of it's own. All the character is supposed to come from the kemper. But still that tube power amp does make a difference in feel and sound. I needed more eq when going through the katana and it felt a bit flat.
It's also worth it to poke a bit in the rig settings with stuff like clarity and pick attack. You can really pick up profiles that sound harsh or muddy with those. There also seems to be a feeling that profiles should be "good as they are" and stuff like tweaking with eq and gain is bad. It's not. Just a small tweak left or right can really make a difference without mucking up the amp character.

*I like nerding out on this stuff, even if you decide not to go for a kamper :)

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
So now I'm thinking why should I spend €2000 on a Kemper with controller to just set up an Orange Rockerverb sound, if what I am using now is basically 95% of an Orange Rockverb already...

Still, the Kemper intrigues me. My band sometimes complains that my main gain tone is too heavy for some songs. In these cases I can program a more vintage sounding amp.

I'm still split on if it's worth it for me. Still have to arrange one to check out first...I might just go to a big German store with a buddy and do a comparison between Kemper, Positive Grid, Helix and real tube amps.

metromusic

Negative, I am a meat popsicle
So now I'm thinking why should I spend €2000 on a Kemper with controller to just set up an Orange Rockerverb sound, if what I am using now is basically 95% of an Orange Rockverb already...

Still, the Kemper intrigues me. My band sometimes complains that my main gain tone is too heavy for some songs. In these cases I can program a more vintage sounding amp.

I'm still split on if it's worth it for me. Still have to arrange one to check out first...I might just go to a big German store with a buddy and do a comparison between Kemper, Positive Grid, Helix and real tube amps.
Funnily enough, that's the conundrum I had before I got mine. I was running a Mesa Single Rectifier, and pretty much the reason I got mine was to have patches with preset effects for certain songs that I could hit one button to change to all of them on, rather than multiple pedals or a midi system. I did spend the first few months with essentially my Mesa tone as the only one I used, but then found the versatility of having a few different amps handy (I needed some more vintage Fender tones for certain songs that the Mesa didn't do right).

There was also the change from going to 2 channels to as many as I needed that sold me on it, as only having the 2 channels on the rectifier limited me, and I didn't like the tone of a Dual or Triple in comparison to upgrade to.

It's worth trying all the options out, as you might find something in one of them that's just an "oh that's a handy feature" moment that makes sense. I use BIAS on my DAW for recording guitar, but recently got into doing direct with the Kemper instead.

At the end of the day, it's finding something that works for you. Yeah I love my Kemper, butI also love valve amps and BIAS and all the other options.

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
This guy is making it very difficult for me to not just pull the trigger...

The whole push one button to switch everything at once thing is currently not an issue. I had a loopswitcher with some pedals that also switched my old amp. I now have an HX Effects that switches presets and I've added a separate distortion pedal to it as well for my main gain tones. It's mostly that I like so many amps and I wants all of them, but I don't have the space and I can't justify owning more than one amp. I currently own 3. Getting rid of at least one, which is the Peavey Butcher. If I get the Kemper, the Hot Rod is also going. Don't know about the Jim Root Terror. I regretted selling it the first time. Might keep that around...

mirage2101

This guy is making it very difficult for me to not just pull the trigger...

The whole push one button to switch everything at once thing is currently not an issue. I had a loopswitcher with some pedals that also switched my old amp. I now have an HX Effects that switches presets and I've added a separate distortion pedal to it as well for my main gain tones. It's mostly that I like so many amps and I wants all of them, but I don't have the space and I can't justify owning more than one amp. I currently own 3. Getting rid of at least one, which is the Peavey Butcher. If I get the Kemper, the Hot Rod is also going. Don't know about the Jim Root Terror. I regretted selling it the first time. Might keep that around...
That's exactly why I ended up with the kemper. Any amp on any volume. I actually looked at rental but that was difficult. So I just kept all the boxes and packing material and kept and eye on the date I had to send it back if i wanted my money back.

I'm not sure you'll need seperate pedals with the kemper. The reverb and delay effects are great. I use the drive pedals sparingly and generally just pick a higher gain amp profile if I want more gain. So selling some stuff would finance the kemper partially. It IS a big chuck of money though.. I'm thinking of selling my katana head myself now I'm not using it as a power stage anymore. My only doubt is that if I need something small in the future I'll just spend that money again.

I loved my kemper when I had it, it’s unlikely you’d regret buying it but would caution against a massive amp clear out. The one I regret selling is my 5153 50w.

I like amps and I like modellers. I play modellers 90% of the time but will most likely still buy more amps

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
The video that completely sold me was the Anderton's video Can Kemper Save Chappers. I ordered it that night, and haven't regretted the purchase one bit since.
I just watched both parts. Really itching to get my hands on one now. I think I have to call some people.

I loved my kemper when I had it, it’s unlikely you’d regret buying it but would caution against a massive amp clear out. The one I regret selling is my 5153 50w.

I like amps and I like modellers. I play modellers 90% of the time but will most likely still buy more amps
Except for the Jim Root Terror, all the amps I own can be missed. The Butcher is not being used and the Hot Rod is easily replaced. The Jim Root is or is going out of production. I've already regretted selling it once. Not happening again. Keeping that in the studio as it always ends up being the main high gain tone. If I sell it, it's to the studio, so I can keep using it.

A-D-L

Northern Monkey
I honestly use maybe the same 3 or so profiles all the time on my kemper. However they are a 5150, Rhodes Colossus and Morgan AC20. Not even bothered since getting those amps in the real world is more money, weight, space and effort than I could bother sparing. But the option of using the other ~1500 profiles I own is nice.

I just watched both parts. Really itching to get my hands on one now. I think I have to call some people.

Except for the Jim Root Terror, all the amps I own can be missed. The Butcher is not being used and the Hot Rod is easily replaced. The Jim Root is or is going out of production. I've already regretted selling it once. Not happening again. Keeping that in the studio as it always ends up being the main high gain tone. If I sell it, it's to the studio, so I can keep using it.
Got to know about the terror, I’ll have to order one while I can

I honestly use maybe the same 3 or so profiles all the time on my kemper. However they are a 5150, Rhodes Colossus and Morgan AC20. Not even bothered since getting those amps in the real world is more money, weight, space and effort than I could bother sparing. But the option of using the other ~1500 profiles I own is nice.
I tend to use a few core amps. Nice to have options but I think the majority of folks will all gravitate to a few select amps (unless a super diverse cover band I guess)

I haven’t had amp GAS in a while. There are a few more I want but I don’t think about them ever and I am not thinking the grass in greener.

My ZLux and a pedal board and I’m covered. If I need high gain I use them Mesa. The Maz18 (ZLux has the same front end as the Maz) is grab and go.

Kemper wouldn’t cure my only problem any more than getting the Stiletto in a drop head. When I see one come my way again I’ll grab it but it’s not important. With the ZLux and a straight forward pedal board I’m good.

I am not interested in a Kemper as a cure for anything, I just think it might be fun, so I’d like to grab one some day.

I’ve got 3 or 4 guitars on my list, first.

ed lespaul

The great part is that, if you have "your sound" in your current setup, you just have to profile it (3-4 minutes) and you don't have to lug around a head and cab any longer. It all lives in the little green box. That's what I did with my LynchBox Grail and Mr Scary settings

The great part is that, if you have "your sound" in your current setup, you just have to profile it (3-4 minutes) and you don't have to lug around a head and cab any longer. It all lives in the little green box. That's what I did with my LynchBox Grail and Mr Scary settings
It’ll come to this if I have to fly a lot.

I can also see a day when preservation becomes important and by using a Kemper I can keep the grind off my amps.

As of right now I have a nice case for the Maz18 and a 1x12 Peavey that I can leave open or closed, with a Greanback.

My favorite cab is a Mesa AR 4x10 and that’s surprisingly light and easy to move.

It’s just I’d like to start going over seas and I frankly don’t know, and am not prepared for, all that would entail.

Especially since I’d like to do it on my own.

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
I kind of do, but why profile a pedal simulating a Rockerverb through a HotRod, if I can get a good Rockerverb profile like I posted earlier in the thread.

Chu

I kind of do, but why profile a pedal simulating a Rockerverb through a HotRod, if I can get a good Rockerverb profile like I posted earlier in the thread.
When I got mine, i spent ages buying commercial profiles of amps I really like; a couple of Orange amps, plenty of Marshalls, some Friedmans and Mesas. Most of the time I sat wondering who thought these tones were usable, let alone great. How did they make them sound that bad? They sounded like they coming from next door.....

I'm guessing it would be easy to profile a rig you've already got dialled in right and skip straight to playing a great sounding rig.

Once I found some magical profiles I took off but it wasn't all that simple to get there.

mirage2101

When I got mine, i spent ages buying commercial profiles of amps I really like; a couple of Orange amps, plenty of Marshalls, some Friedmans and Mesas. Most of the time I sat wondering who thought these tones were usable, let alone great. How did they make them sound that bad? They sounded like they coming from next door.....

I'm guessing it would be easy to profile a rig you've already got dialled in right and skip straight to playing a great sounding rig.

Once I found some magical profiles I took off but it wasn't all that simple to get there.
I had the same problem at the start. Even, or especially with some highly regarded profile makers. Thank god there’s a large free selection in there now.
At first I was reluctant to go into rig settings and use eq because the profile is the truth right?
But now I’m at the point where I’ll just eq, dail stuff like clarity and gain to match my tastes and almost every profile becomes at least usable. But hey maybe those amps wouldn’t sound nice with my guitar either.

The only question is how true I am to the original amp. But tbh I don’t care. Even after setting it badcat, Fuchs and Mesa still have a really specific own character

I had the same problem at the start. Even, or especially with some highly regarded profile makers. Thank god there’s a large free selection in there now.
At first I was reluctant to go into rig settings and use eq because the profile is the truth right?
But now I’m at the point where I’ll just eq, dail stuff like clarity and gain to match my tastes and almost every profile becomes at least usable. But hey maybe those amps wouldn’t sound nice with my guitar either.

The only question is how true I am to the original amp. But tbh I don’t care. Even after setting it badcat, Fuchs and Mesa still have a really specific own character
This was my experience as well. I really couldn’t get the hype of some profile makers as I thought most were unusable (probably ok for mixing but sounded shit to jam with at home). The profiles that are made are simply snapshots of other signal chains, you need to find something that works for you and the application you will use it in.

In the end I found a few I liked and tended to use them.