will kemper kill amp gas?

Chu

For me it would be option paralysis, I need like four amp sounds at the most. I'm actuallly thinking about gigging again, and I love my 2 x 12 Rivera but not sure my fat old back does anymore so I might start looking at smaller amp solutions in the future.
I use four amp profiles for my whole setlist, but with various effects depending on the song. You can view a Kemper as a means to play a million different amp profiles or you could view it as a gateway to find exactly the right ones. I don't believe for a moment that I ever would have thought to try a Splawn and Mesa for drives and Friedman BE100 and Hiwatt for cleans. Instead of buying an amp for it's crunch tone and being satisfied with it's clean, I've been able to get each bit just right.

Of course, no bit of gear works for everyone but damn it has been perfect for me. Plus, it weighs nothing and I can travel without a cab if I want.

metromusic

Negative, I am a meat popsicle
I think my rig at the moment has 3 different amp sounds, and between the 2 performances I've got set up there's probably only a couple more. Pretty much Fender for the cleans/crunch, Mesa Rectifier for heavier gain and a 5150 for lead tones. One of the built in ones that I used a lot for cleans was a random Groove Tubes amp, which sounded amazing.

One of the main reasons I got mine was the fact you can program multiple effect "stompboxes" to come on at once with only one switch, which is a lifesaver for me (I used to hate pedal tap dancing). I looked into midi switching and Helix effects before pulling the trigger on the Kemper as it was much simpler for me to have it all in one box rather than a stack of different things.

ScutMonkey

I use four amp profiles for my whole setlist, but with various effects depending on the song. You can view a Kemper as a means to play a million different amp profiles or you could view it as a gateway to find exactly the right ones. I don't believe for a moment that I ever would have thought to try a Splawn and Mesa for drives and Friedman BE100 and Hiwatt for cleans. Instead of buying an amp for it's crunch tone and being satisfied with it's clean, I've been able to get each bit just right.
This is the sort of thing I'd do with it. I'd do a ton of mixing and matching. Plus, I find each time I use something new, I get something new in my head so I'd use it as "inspiration" for lack of a better word. Then I'd take whatever I'd written back to my foundation.

MrDon

Owner of a heap of shit dentist guitars
Kemper is great
Amp is great
Can the Kemper replace multiple amps? Yes

If you are leaning towards a Kemper then go for it - you literally cant lose. If you dont like it they are easy to sell.

Im considering buying one again

My experience owning modellers is that yes, it does cure amp gas. For a while. The KPA cured it for longer than the Helix and AF3 but out of the 3, my fave is the AF3.

It’s nice to have a bit of variety.

I was looking for a power amp for my AF3 and stumbled on the SC20. I bought that instead of a dedicated power amp and now use the AF3 in 4CM.
I flip between using the SC20 with AF3 being used for boost/effects, using the SC20 as a power amp and using the AF3 with my monitors, all driven through the PC

mirage2101

Today I hooked up the kemper to the fx return of my blackjack. I was considering to sell it so I connected it and after an hour I decided it's not leaving the house. In a flah of inspiration I hooked up the kemper.
Holy cow what a difference does that make. The profiles become more alive. I needed to undo some EQ stuff that I'd done but the playing is so much more dynamic. You could say it's a waste of the amp but looking at it now I'd sooner sell the katana head.

I wouldn’t suggest selling your amps. Out of all the ones I sold, I miss the 5153.

As much as I love modellers, I still like to play through an amp. I love the feel, sound and the fact that I don’t need the speaker pointed at my head.

ed lespaul

I also had that AF3, and the Kemper is a huge step up from the Amplifire. It's night and day. I think I still have some purchased packs laying around somewhere for it, that I will never use again.

As far as the amps, I don't miss them one bit. The Kemper acts like a head. I either play it through an FRFR, or a cabinet (with the cabinet off on the Kemper). I seriously doubt anyone could tell the difference. But then again, that's all based on the profiles you use.

Honestly, I understand why touring bands use Kempers. To some extent, I understand why you would use one in the studio. In the end, you can hear the difference. You can feel the difference. Even in a room, through a PA, you hear it. They are great, but they are not the same. But it seems you've already made your choice.
I don’t like using them at all. I’ve been in a few circumstances where that’s what’s been available and I have such strong feelings towards them I’m certain bias was coloring what I heard and felt.

That said: if I have to start flying a lot I might try one.

mirage2101

I don’t like using them at all. I’ve been in a few circumstances where that’s what’s been available and I have such strong feelings towards them I’m certain bias was coloring what I heard and felt.

That said: if I have to start flying a lot I might try one.
Since I'm using the fuchs as power amp the kemper has really come alive for me. With a solid state power stage it's a bit flat in it's response.
I'm not sure of the science behind it or if I'm making myself see things but I'm really happy with the combination right now. I plugged in directly to the fuchs two weeks ago it's so close to the profile I downloaded I don't think I could pick them in a blindfold test.

there are a couple of elephants in the room though.
- if you have an amp you can dial it in to what you like and your guitar. If the profile on a kemper wasn't dialed in at least close to what you would use it's hard to get a good sound out of it.
- some people say you should'nt tweak those profiles but you absolutely need to do. In the rig there are a couple of settings like tube shape clarity and pick response that really can make a so so profile great.
- If you don't like how a high gain profile was dialed in a crunchy profile with a build in distortion pedal stacks surprisingly good.

It took me a couple of weeks to learn this stuff and while I liked the Kemper from the start this has made it really impressive. Combine that with the ease I can try new amps now and it's saving me a lot of money. Even if the profiles are not 100% that amp that's fine for me. I don't have the room or the option to be as loud as those amps would need anyway.

Chu

The title got me thinking..... Will it kill GAS?

If I found myself dating my favourite actress, would I stop finding other people attractive? No I wouldn't. I'd be faithful because that's who I am but I'd still be drawn towards other people. But you're not committed to a monogamous relationship with a guitar amp. If you get a Kemper and become obsessed with a real life Mesa, what reason is there to not get one?

I like the idea of being able to profile my own amps and that would be the main draw for me. I don’t think it could ever replace them but if it would let me take them with me and preserve them, I’d dig that.

I’m not one to really get too caught up on a specific sound or needing a lot of different tones, I guess. I use effect pedals (always stomp box’s just becuase I like them) and save for one drive pedal (my Z amps are one channel amps) they’re extended technique, not agenting or always on effects. I prefer reverb on my amp.

I landed with the Z’s precisely because I like how they feel and for me, were the best amps I could find. I changed my approach to suit them.

The Maz is small and mic’ing a 1x12 open back cab is perfect for me.

But I’m a Z fanboy so I want another no matter if I have a Kemper or not. The Kemper would be to profile and preserve those amps.

My favorite set up is my 4x10 Mesa AR cab. If I can take it with me I will every time. It’s just not always practical.

mirage2101

If I found myself dating my favourite actress, would I stop finding other people attractive? No I wouldn't. I'd be faithful because that's who I am but I'd still be drawn towards other people. But you're not committed to a monogamous relationship with a guitar amp. If you get a Kemper and become obsessed with a real life Mesa, what reason is there to not get one?
I'm an amp slut. Simple as that. With the kemper I can play a fuchs today, a mesa tomorow and a fender next week. All without having to buy real amps. It's not sustainable for me to keep buying and selling amps. Both financially and space wise.
Additionally some amps are just too loud for me to use. I'd love to have a mesa boogie but even the mark V:25 is too loud for me. I tried it in a store and to make it sound good it needs more volume then I'm comfortable with. So either I spend the money on an amp and a larger attenuator (the boogie is 2000 euro here so pretty $#@$!@#! expensive) Or I get a kemper and I can play it on any volume I like.

If I'm curious about victory amps? I'll get their profiles. Regardless if I stay with the profile or not, it cures the itch I have for different amps and exploring sounds. At the same time I have to admit I got that mesa profile running and I play little else. So if that low watt head comes out I'd seriously consider buying it.

My Mesa Stiletto Ace 2x12 combo weighs 88lbs. And it has no handles on the sides. The casters work great but even when there is plenty of help and room to move that thing is a colossal pain in the ass.

I wish it weren’t so but if I was satisfied with profiles I made for it, it’d be liberating to easily take those sounds with me in a manageable package.

It’s a very compact 2x12 and it’s cab is amazing. It’s a remarkable closed back combo. I often wish I could grab it and go.

For me that solution is a drop head. But the Stiletto is hard to find. I passed on a Stiletto deuce in awesome condition about 6 months ago. Not a sign of one since.

Last edited:

This hits the nail on the head for me.

Since I went full modeller, the only amp I had left was my JMP-1 pre (I had no power amp). I started being seduced by those sexy new JCM800 20w heads (I still had c(r)abs) and I just slipped it in a little and bought one.
Played it for a few weeks on end and now it’s sat there looking at me like the naughtily little thing it is while I’m back with my old faithful Axefx 3.
The beauty of the Axefx for me is that I could use it in 4CM so I really can (when I get round to it) finish off selling my pedals.

I accept I’m gas prone and will absolutely pickup a mini rec, 5153 or kraken when I see them at the right price. The great thing is, my modelling rig still gets to join the party and be used 4CM

Having compared JCM800 models on the Axefx then a/b’d it with the real deal, the only difference I could tell is a slight change in eq. The feel and spirit of the tone from Axefx and sc20 were unmistakably JCM800