will kemper kill amp gas?

mirage2101

Cool. Which store are you headed to?
I think in the end I'll just get it from keymusic and I'll take a couple of weeks to try it at home. It's a large store. They're not fussy about returns.. And even if they throw a hissy fit and do store credit I'll just buy a guitar ;-)

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
If you want to try it in a store and check out some nice other amps and guitars while you're at it, you could try Guitar Factory in Oss.

mirage2101

That looks like a nice store! I wish I knew one a bit closer to home though. You'd think it'd be easy with amsterdam haarlem en leiden around the corner but it's a bit meh.

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
That looks like a nice store! I wish I knew one a bit closer to home though. You'd think it'd be easy with amsterdam haarlem en leiden around the corner but it's a bit meh.
I hear yah. All 3 cities you mention suck when it comes to decent guitar stores. The nearest store that impressed me is Music All In in Noordwijk. Very nice store and great guys working there. I also like Guitarshop Apeldoorn and for pedals i like to check keuringsdienstvansnaren. Other than these, I'd rather make the drive to Music Store Köln or Musik Produktiv once in a while.

mirage2101

I hear yah. All 3 cities you mention suck when it comes to decent guitar stores. The nearest store that impressed me is Music All In in Noordwijk. Very nice store and great guys working there. I also like Guitarshop Apeldoorn and for pedals i like to check keuringsdienstvansnaren. Other than these, I'd rather make the drive to Music Store Köln or Musik Produktiv once in a while.
For vintage stuff Sacksioni is great.
Bax has a huge assortment but is busy outside of office hours and not open on sunday.

When I have a day off I'll check out Music all. That's not too far away and looks nice.

DrJazztap

For me it would be option paralysis, I need like four amp sounds at the most. I'm actuallly thinking about gigging again, and I love my 2 x 12 Rivera but not sure my fat old back does anymore so I might start looking at smaller amp solutions in the future.

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
For me it would be option paralysis, I need like four amp sounds at the most. I'm actuallly thinking about gigging again, and I love my 2 x 12 Rivera but not sure my fat old back does anymore so I might start looking at smaller amp solutions in the future.
Please don't take offense or anything. I'm really just wondering. Why do you need 4 amp sounds? I've been pondering this and thinking to my own band. I just need a clean tone and a good high gain tone. I sometimes add a Klon Centaun model from my HX Effects to either the clean or distorted tone for an edge or some boost. But in the end, it's one amp.

SemiCullen

Still haven't got the hang of Thursdays
Please don't take offense or anything. I'm really just wondering. Why do you need 4 amp sounds? I've been pondering this and thinking to my own band. I just need a clean tone and a good high gain tone. I sometimes add a Klon Centaun model from my HX Effects to either the clean or distorted tone for an edge or some boost. But in the end, it's one amp.
I'm not a gigging musician. If I was, I'm sure my opinion on the subject would be different, but I only need one amp tone -- a clean tone. I get all my tone variations from pedals.

I've been debating a Kemper for a long time, and while I really think it would be great and a lot of fun to play around with, I would still want to buy pedals.

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
I'm not a gigging musician. If I was, I'm sure my opinion on the subject would be different, but I only need one amp tone -- a clean tone. I get all my tone variations from pedals.

I've been debating a Kemper for a long time, and while I really think it would be great and a lot of fun to play around with, I would still want to buy pedals.
Yeah of course I enjoy playing with unlimited different kinds of amps as well, but when talking what I really need. Same as you. I use a clean amp with pedals. Preferably, I use an amp with a good clean and gain channel, but for different reasons, I have chosen the path I am on now.

DrJazztap

Oh no offense taken. I doubt I even need that many to be honest, maybe two at the most. What I meant was that I wouldn't want something that could replicate 5000 sounds, if I only used 4 at the most. But yeah it would be 1) Fendery Brownface/Blackface clean 2) Driven Marshall sound 3) Voxy clean sound 4) and possibly a high gain recto tone just for shits and giggles.

Sometimes having a different sound to a song adds variety to it.

I generally dont like overly complicated pieces of gear, I tend to favour something straightforward- less to go wrong then. :)

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
Oh no offense taken. I doubt I even need that many to be honest, maybe two at the most. What I meant was that I wouldn't want something that could replicate 5000 sounds, if I only used 4 at the most. But yeah it would be 1) Fendery Brownface/Blackface clean 2) Driven Marshall sound 3) Voxy clean sound 4) and possibly a high gain recto tone just for shits and giggles.

Sometimes having a different sound to a song adds variety to it.

I generally dont like overly complicated pieces of gear, I tend to favour something straightforward- less to go wrong then. :)
Understood. The funny thing is, I know that feeling of wanting some variety, but in the end, when I'm playing I find I don't want to switch pickups, or coiltaps, I don't want to switch too many pedals etc, so I end up using a guitar with just a bridge humbucker for everything, including cleans, and I end up using just the two basetones, clean and dirty. Of course I set up my EQ so my guitar still sounds good clean, eventhough I use the bridge pickup.

mirage2101

After a couple of days with the kemper I can only say you should give it a try. I've heard a lot of good profiles already even if I don't like the amp they're based on. But I don't like every amp either.

I started out making a sort of general selection with the nicest clean building up to a good lead tone.
But it's a lot more fun (and sonically consistent) to bundle a couple of settings of one amp into a performance.

So now I have a victory amp in 5 settings at my feet. With effects setup for each setting.
I'm still looking what profiles to get but I'm going to do the same for fuchs, fender etc.
So the question becomes what amp do I want to play? Instead of contemplating between princeton or reverb deluxe for the bestest ever clean.

In the end it comes down to preference. I never was a huge pedal nerd but I am a huge amp nerd so it's great for me.

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
Well I did try it. Multiple times. To me, it's just not the same. I feel the difference. I agree, it's hard to hear the difference and if I were in a touring band and need to save space and shipping costs etc, I would get one. But I'm not.