What's your favorite daw?

Discussion in 'Recording' started by mirage2101, Sep 28, 2017.

1. mirage2101

mirage2101 Member

I'm looking for a DAW to use to create quick and easy backing tracks to play guitar over and maybe record simple songs. I own native instruments komplete (with the keyboard) so I've got a whole bunch of instruments, patches, drum tracks etc. So I'm not tied to included instruments. I don't want to spend too much money on it preferably <100 euro. There are weeks and months that I don't use the software because I'm just too busy with other stuff or learning songs.

Before coming here I've tried some and clicked around:
    Ableton: I used ableton before for a while. The thing is that the 79 euro version is quite limited and 350 euro is a lot for something that's just on the side for quick noodling.

garage band: I actually quite enjoyed this. Integration with VST's isn't great but on the whole it's simple, fast and works great. The thing is my mac is slowly dying and it just can't handle the load anymore. So the price of using garageband suddenly becomes very high. I LOVED the drummer function and being able to just input keyboard chords.

FL studio: Sounds good; haven't tried it yet because the fruity edition doesn't support recording audio. And the next version gets expensive quickly.

Reaper: Good on paper but if I need to download a script to change the vst instrument on a track I'm done. (Seriously that's such basic functionality? I don't get how they don't have that)

mixcraft: Just spend 5 minutes with it so the jury is out. Looks great on the loops department. Not sold yet on the vst department. I feels wierd to have to click through a menu to get the instrument to open when i select a track.

So in general:
    Simplicity is great.
    Good VST support (When i select a track it should show my instrument right away)
    Loops are nice to have
    Chord progressions, guidance, keys etc built in are a plus. (like garageband, I believe cubase also has something like this)

Thanks for reading and your advice!

2. Dead Circuits

Dead Circuits Well-Known Member

For me it's Reaper

What initially sold it to me was that the demo is fully featured, and does not expire. So essentially the program is free to use, if you don't mind waiting for a countdown each time you start it.

The features and built in VST's are great, anything I've wanted to do I've been able to do intuitively or with a quick google search.

Its so good, and so reasonably priced for what it is that I did pay for it in the end.

3. Chu

Chu Well-Known Member

Sonar. Does absolutely bloody everything.

4. mirage2101

mirage2101 Member

What version do you use? And how does it work with vsts?

5. Chu

Chu Well-Known Member

As per any of the top end DAWs, it works perfectly with vsts. Put them in the track, done. I'm a believer that all of the best DAWs are essentially the same, the differences come down to work flow; as in once you get used to something, the alternatives become a hindrance. I honestly haven't upgraded mine since 8.5 Producer Edition because it does everything I need. I know that Sonar is less well known than some but it is easily in par with Protools, Logic and Cubase.

It really just comes down to budget.

6. Alan O'hagan

Alan O'hagan Well-Known Member

If you'd said what's your favourite draw?
    I may have answered $15, ok they look like a bunch o hillbillies but that Martin ain't cheap for a start

mirage2101 likes this.
  7. mirage2101

mirage2101 Member

Thanks for the answers guys.
    I've been trying cubase lately.. Maybe I'll run macos in a VM and stay with garage band. Going to try that later.

8. Wuzza

Wuzza long time lurker

On the floor, triumphantly holding a bottle of red
    I use Mixcraft. Started with Music2000 on the PS1, ended up with a few versions of Musicmaker in the mid/late 2000's, and simply because I'm used to that kind of interface, I went with Mixcraft.
    It's far more powerful than I would ever need, but I find it really easy to use for recording my RCF jams with, and to play along with backing tracks. I took a look at Reaper and was just stumped with all the options.

Not sure if there's a demo/free version (I paid for the 2016 version) but the interface does seem to be completely different to your standard DAW.
    If I had to start afresh, I would probably go with Reaper, purely for the fact you don't have to pay for it and there are a lot of resources available for it. Why not just start with that and see how you get on, at least you wont have spent anything if you don't like it.

mirage2101 likes this.