What was your first guitar?

Discussion in 'General' started by AsperChick, Jul 15, 2017.

1. AsperChick

AsperChick Social Faux Pas Expert

Had a look and can't see a thread that already exists for this. Forgive me if there is, please :)

What was your first guitar?

We had a crappy Kay acoustic in our house for many years before I started to think about learning how to play; owned by my sister who still can't "get her head around" playing. However, when I showed a little more interest, my parents kindly bought me a secondhand Encore short-scale strat and an RMS 10Watt amp.

It was a piece of crap; the action was way too high, electronics intermittent, neck slightly bowed etc. However, I loved it despite the "struggle" being very real :D

I didn't get very far with my playing until after attending a three-day rock workshop run at my local school. There I played on a black Epiphone Les Paul Jr through a Laney MXR 30Watt amp. It was on this that I learnt my first set of chords. Became obsessed quite soon after...parents also helped me to save enough pocket money to buy a chord book and my first ever multi-effects unit! ...a Zoom 707!!! For Christmas the following year they provided me with a slightly better guitar, a red Aslin Dane Les Paul custom...ah to be young and stupid again!!! XD

As a reward for passing all of my GCSE exams, they also bought me a black Epiphone AK10 acoustic. I still have the acoustic, Aslin Dane and the Zoom 707, but they don't "see the light of day".

Oh how things have changed XD

2. johnniegoat

johnniegoat Stop, don’t, come back.

Satillite LP custom copy. It exploded one day when I was less than impressed with it. The pickup magnets were more like those used to hold a fridge door closed. The body was proper cheap ply and the top was a bent veneer, not solid and left a gap between the body and top

Even though it was awful that a carlsbro stingray and a jhs (John hornby skewes, not boutique) drive pedal and I felt a good

3. Wade Garrett

Wade Garrett I am the projectionist.

My first electric was a Hohner Arbour MXJ Series guitar.

[​IMG]

The trem destroyed the tuning but I loved it anyway!

4. flawlessandeternal

flawlessandeternal Double OG with a Skeleton Key

YouTube Channel:
    chubbymosher700
    Mine was this weird thing, it was like an orangey-yellow colour and my dad said that his dad had bought it in the late 50's. It had "Givson Less Pull" or something written on the top. I wanted to play metal though, so I traded it to my mate for his BC Rich Warlock and his Line 6 Spider.

5. Robstafarian

Robstafarian The Good and Wise Call Me “Rufustarian” Staff Member

6. Simon Park

Simon Park New Member

Mine was a horrid second-hand Hondo Strat copy - it was bright red with a maple fretboard and the most horrible neck, pickups and tuners ever made, but I still loved it. I'll have to go searching through the digital vault of horrors to find a photo, but if there still is a picture I'll post it in this thread.

AsperChick likes this.
  7. DrHankWanfordSnr

DrHankWanfordSnr That's not new, its always been there.

westone thunder 1A bass
    then a black hohner lespaul 'custom'

AsperChick likes this.
  8. @ssinine

@ssinine Professional noodler

First guitar was a cheap & cheerful acoustic which has turned out to be pretty nice.
    First electric was the Epi Special II in my avatar pic. Put a lot of work into it to make it my own and love it to bits.

There was a thread a while back about 'what guitar would you save from a burning building'. At the time I thought I wouldn't care about any of mine but I think I've become quite attached to it since.

AsperChick and bad alice like this.
  9. beanball

beanball Retired Rock God

The first guitar I ever started playing on was a garbage Harmony acoustic from around 1964. It was in awful condition as my brother always thought it was great fun to 'El Kabong!' me with it, ala Quickdraw McGraw.

The first guitar I ever bought for myself was a magical piece of musical engineering known as the iconic Bentley Series 10, which I bought in '82 or '83. It came with an awesome little Crate 10 watt practice amp that had such Earth-shaking sounds! I felt like Angus Young and EVH combined!

It looked sorta like this, except it was black (which, as we all know is the coolest color!)

Attached Files:

AsperChick and Wade Garrett like this.
  10. Simon Park

Simon Park New Member

Some (terrible) photos of the early 80's Hondo.

2013-02-26_86.JPG 2013-02-23_80.JPG

My next guitar will be the brand new ML-1 HotRod I ordered earlier today. As luck would have it, I've fractured my left wrist but it'll be there waiting for me once I've healed up. It seems that the guitar has been sitting in the shop since 2014 just waiting for me to buy it, so I'm looking forward to its arrival.

11. Kahuna Nui

Kahuna Nui The Big Kahuna

I sold about 8 neon coloured Hondo Les Pauls to Saxon in about 1982, for them to smash up and burn on stage. The first time they tried, at Sheffield City Hall, they couldn't smash it. Too solidly built :)

12. Kahuna Nui

Kahuna Nui The Big Kahuna

My first guitar was a Sunbro Les Paul Goldtop copy. Utter shite. Took the pickup covers off and discovered they were single coils underneath.

13. bad alice

bad alice Easily distracted and...OHLOOKAGUITAR!!!

This painted and stickered beast...
    IMG_6148.JPG
    Formerly my no brand acoustic with an action so high and uncomfortable that you could've sliced a loaf of bread with it
    I hated it buuuut...
    It taught me that if I could switch between chords quickly and cleanly on that, then anything afterwards would be a BREEZE to play.
    It now resides in retired comfort on a guitar stand in our hall.
    It still raises an occasional smile when I see it
    And briefly reflect of the agonising hours spent flipping between G/C/D/etc/etc
    It's worth mentioning the part it played in my tendency to vent forth Malcolm-Tucker-like sweariness when I can't quite seem to master a new lick.
    Some things you just can't unlearn...
    :)

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017 at 4:27 PM
  14. AsperChick

Oops! Sorry x Like I said, had a search for the topic and keywords, but couldn't find anything; searched threads, keywords, and even tried using Google and bing. Oh well, of mice and men.

Cheers to all who entertained the idea of answering to this thread despite there being others in existence x

15. Stevethulhu

Stevethulhu The Riffgrinder General

My first guitar was a crappy Encore acoustic with cheese slicers for strings. And much like @bad alice, it taught me how to tune despite the crappy guitar and how to switch open chords. After that I got a Hondo II Les Paul thing and a Sound City practise amp from a friend. It looked just like this and to this day I regret selling that thing. Maybe one will come my way when there's enough pennies in the jar and the nostalgia is strong.

hondo-ii_12.jpg

Simon Park, AsperChick and bad alice like this.
  16. beans & rice

beans & rice Well-Known Member

My uncle's ugly and neglected 1952 Epiphone Zenith.

Simon Park, AsperChick and bad alice like this.
  17. SchecterPT

SchecterPT Does anyone even read this?

YouTube Channel:
    TheSchecterPT
    My first guitar was a bass. A shitty Westfield Jazz style bass my grandparents got me for xmass one year. I still have it but it's a wee bit broken (broken tuners and 10 year old strings).

18. drittal

drittal Well-Known Member

An unplayable pawn shop strat copy. Took it back for a purple Yamaha-ha-ha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Simon Park and AsperChick like this.
  19. AsperChick

Despite all its faults, I regret getting rid of my Encore strat. Swapped it for a Park Marshall 30Watt amp so that I had something with a bit more power to be able to take part in a 10 week Rock School program. Whilst the Encore had little "going for it", I spent hours shredding my fingers on its dry and manky fretboard, trying my best to learn about multitrack recording; by plugging it directly into the line-in of a Goodmans two-deck karaoke machine which had a spectacularly bad drum module on top.

20. Baggy

Baggy Well-Known Member

My first was a used black squire strat, played it solidly teaching myself how to play, crap trem and no experience at setting up ment I spent most of that time tuning it. I'm positive the neck had a twist in it too. Tbh I was glad to see the back of it, it never got picked up again once I got my epi gold top. Guess I just got a dog

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

AsperChick and Simon Park like this.