What put a smile on your face today?

Mrs. Beans, a Smashing Pumpkins fan to her core, told me about Billy getting his first Fender Strat back recently, after something like 25 years.

He'd bought it from drummer Jimmy Chamberlain, and the thing was stolen backstage after a show while supporting their Gish album. It had made a big impact on how he wrote and played, but it never showed back up despite reward offers. Having lost that one, he had to get new guitars, and says that while he's been upset about losing that one, having to use other guitars pushed him to achieve the new sounds he did on the albums following Gish.
He never forgot that guitar, and at one point the offer jumped to $20K for its return. But, nothing ever materialized.

Seems a woman in Michigan came across and bought it at a garage sale for $200 and had it hanging on the wall in her basement for much of that time. Not long ago, a friend of hers thought it might be the one Corgan has been looking for all these years, and it was finally confirmed to be that guitar.

Corgan says it was perfect timing, the guitar coming back to him, now that he's rejoined with Chamberlain and Iha, and he's going to get it back in playing condition and use it in his lineup going forward.

It used to be covered in paint, because he hated the yellow. It reminded him of Blackmore and Yngwie. :bounce: He just slapped some paint over it one day, which didn't stick to the gloss, so it started flaking off right away.

That thing has some deep mojo. I'm amazed it's survived.

Oh, also, the fan who had it didn't want anything from him, she just gave it back to him. :)

Last edited:
Yesterday I celebrated the start of my final year of my 30's by unwrapping my Amp stand...my wife looked at me like "WTF? This is really what you wanted for your birthday???" and tbh I was as happy as a pig in s**t :D

Sounds way better now that the speaker is actually pointing right at me, as opposed to being deadened by being blasted directly at the furniture right in front of it.

Yesterday I celebrated the start of my final year of my 30's by unwrapping my Amp stand...my wife looked at me like "WTF? This is really what you wanted for your birthday???" and tbh I was as happy as a pig in s**t :D

Sounds way better now that the speaker is actually pointing right at me, as opposed to being deadened by being blasted directly at the furniture right in front of it.
Happy birthday! I’m just a couple weeks ahead of you on the wondrous 39th year.

bad alice

Easily distracted and...OHLOOKAGUITAR!!!

Happy birthday @alonious_monk
:)