What put a smile on your face today?

drittal

Nerd on the Prairie
After thinking about making a stereo rig today I was mulling over ideas for a new amp to make it happen. I thought of Terrors, and Origins, and Bassmans, and etc...

Then I thought maybe a Katana. Which lead me to think about our lead singers Katana hat he got to replace his Randall head. He just couldn’t get the sound he wanted from it going into his Marshall 1960 cab. He asked me a couple times if I wanted to buy it, but I declined. So I decided to read more about it and r ad reviews. A few stated how bass heavy and mid scooped it was. Well, now I have a Crate 412 that is light on bottom end and strong in the mids. I went to rehearsal and plugged that amp into my cab... holy crap! It sounds way better than with the Marshall pushing it where a 112 had as much bottom end. I haggled a little bit and picked up a new to me Randall RH300G3PLUS. What the heck, i have $175 into a half stack now. Lol.

I brought it home, rearranged my man cave and hooked up stereo mode from my delay pedal and let ‘er rip. My ears are ringing. It has similar bottom end now as the 210+112 I am using with the Marshall, slightly less mids and similar highs. I feel some more tweaking will be had, but I makes me smile as is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Robstafarian

The Good and Wise Call Me “Rufus”
After thinking about making a stereo rig today I was mulling over ideas for a new amp to make it happen. I thought of Terrors, and Origins, and Bassmans, and etc...

Then I thought maybe a Katana. Which lead me to think about our lead singers Katana hat he got to replace his Randall head. He just couldn’t get the sound he wanted from it going into his Marshall 1960 cab. He asked me a couple times if I wanted to buy it, but I declined. So I decided to read more about it and r ad reviews. A few stated how bass heavy and mid scooped it was. Well, now I have a Crate 412 that is light on bottom end and strong in the mids. I went to rehearsal and plugged that amp into my cab... holy crap! It sounds way better than with the Marshall pushing it where a 112 had as much bottom end. I haggled a little bit and picked up a new to me Randall RH300G3PLUS. What the heck, i have $175 into a half stack now. Lol.

I brought it home, rearranged my man cave and hooked up stereo mode from my delay pedal and let ‘er rip. My ears are ringing. It has similar bottom end now as the 210+112 I am using with the Marshall, slightly less mids and similar highs. I feel some more tweaking will be had, but I makes me smile as is.
Which Marshall do you have?

drittal

Nerd on the Prairie
DSL15H. At practice lead was using his MG50 through it. Neither had any bottom end with this cab.

An email with Celestion confirmed that the G12S speakers are light on the bottom end, with S signifying small magnet. They suggested pairing hem with M or H series, medium or heavy magnet respectively, for better bottom end response.

Robstafarian

The Good and Wise Call Me “Rufus”
DSL15H. At practice lead was using his MG50 through it. Neither had any bottom end with this cab.

An email with Celestion confirmed that the G12S speakers are light on the bottom end, with S signifying small magnet. They suggested pairing hem with M or H series, medium or heavy magnet respectively, for better bottom end response.
Interesting! This is the second time in two days that I have found mention of the G12S Greenback, of which I was previously unaware. It is intriguing that your other guitarist has used (at least) two solid-state amps.

drittal

Nerd on the Prairie
The G12S-50 in the Crate 412 are not greenback. Those are what don’t have bottom end. Those are what Celestion recommended to pair with a larger magnet speaker to gain some bottom end. However, I found a head in the Randall with loads of bottom end to pair with it and get an even response. It will never do modern drop tuning metal well, but it does classic and 80’s hair metal just fine with mids that bite and enough bottom to feel it, but not over power he tone.

The peavey does have a g12m-25 greenback. It has, what I assume to be, normal bottom end.

Our lead guitar and singer both have a second band, which is a long running and they gig regularly... but they don’t have as much fun as they do with us. So their main rigs are at their practice space. The Randall and MG50 are secondary or even tertiary amplifiers for them. Lead guitar has a Marshall 50W tube. Singer has an Orange SS half stack and now the Katana, but wants to replace the Orange with a second Katana.

I hope this is clear as mud now. Johann Segeborn does a couple Celestion comparisons using G12S speakers and you can clearly hear the lack of low end compared to others.

ed lespaul

I have been going to Guitar Center, Sam Ash, and other guitar stores for decades. Over that time, I can honestly say that I have had only one salesperson that I actually considered a friend. He was incredibly knowledgeable, friendly, etc....all the good qualities. When I'd walk into his location, he would grab me and have me check out all the latest gear.

We would talk gear for hours. One time, he showed me a strat, and I explained my strat that I customized, and he asked me to bring it in. On the next visit, I brought it in, and everything stopped. He played it for a few minutes, and told me how insane it was. When I showed him that it was a push/pull pot to switch from humbucker to single, he almost lost his mind. It was the first scalloped guitar he'd played, and he was loving it. Very quickly, all the salespeople came around wanting to play the strat next. Nobody in the store got any service for the next 45 minutes.

Max is the man!!! I just saw this video is him demoing at NAMM. All the best, Max. You deserve it. A very special person.

SemiCullen

Still haven't got the hang of Thursdays
I came very close to listing my Ghost Fret on Reverb last night. I was thinking that it just doesn't get played all that often and hangs on the wall most of the time. It's pretty to look at, but that's not the point of a guitar. So I figured I'd take it off the wall and play it again before making up my mind.

I had some of the most fun playing guitar than I've had in a very long time.

All the things I thought had bothered me about the guitar were forgotten. Thinner neck than I normally like? Yeah, but it was perfectly comfortable, still. The way the guitar sits on me, the fretboard sits a little further out than more traditionally styled guitars. Didn't matter, it was a joy to play.

Kind of weird how something that's a tiny annoyance becomes amplified when the guitar sits on the wall. I'm sure it can work the other way, too, but not in this case. I suppose I need to be more conscious of rotating through all my guitars when I practice/jam.

JimothyBeed

The Fired Up Bassist.
Mums got the keys and inventory/welcome documents for the flat, luckily she's been able and happy to do such things that I can't with still working till the 20th.

Email to movers tonight with definite list of max boxes and items to get them booked in then it's just a few utilities to take care of at either end.

Finally seeing the storm subside.

everfreetree

I... I like trees.
I came very close to listing my Ghost Fret on Reverb last night. I was thinking that it just doesn't get played all that often and hangs on the wall most of the time. It's pretty to look at, but that's not the point of a guitar. So I figured I'd take it off the wall and play it again before making up my mind.

I had some of the most fun playing guitar than I've had in a very long time.

All the things I thought had bothered me about the guitar were forgotten. Thinner neck than I normally like? Yeah, but it was perfectly comfortable, still. The way the guitar sits on me, the fretboard sits a little further out than more traditionally styled guitars. Didn't matter, it was a joy to play.

Kind of weird how something that's a tiny annoyance becomes amplified when the guitar sits on the wall. I'm sure it can work the other way, too, but not in this case. I suppose I need to be more conscious of rotating through all my guitars when I practice/jam.
I did the same thing with Inky (my legacy ML3 Modern), but my solution was to play with other guitars in E Standard and switch it to D Standard with 11-56s on it (for solid D Drop C and below), and I basically only played it for the lower tuned songs on Rocksmith, on occasion, and I've once again been reminded how much worse most of my guitars handle E Standard (and most other tunings...) and how solid the ML3 is for pretty much whatever I stick it in.

You've just gotta shake it up, sometimes, to remind yourself of the best points of a guitar, and forget the little things, which really only bother you once all the bigger, more important things become forgotten entirely, since they're handled so well, heh.

I have developed a desire to learn to play Bea's demo playthrough of "The Rags" so badly that I've taken the past hour and a half and watched him play it in slow-mo on YouTube and tabulated out what he's playing. Main "rhythm" parts are done, the solo will be done tomorrow when I have a set of fresh eyes.

Two things immediately come to mind:

1) I'm happy to be writing tabulature again, even if I'm "cheating" and actually watching the player's fingers as he's playing it.
2) How the F*#$ does Bea come up with this stuff?!