What put a smile on your face today?

Discussion in 'General' started by Monty888, Feb 27, 2010.

1. johnniegoat

johnniegoat Stop, don’t, come back.

@GloopyJon

yep - i have previously got their fret edge leveller tool, which has been a god send for a lot of my guitars

2. GloopyJon

GloopyJon Woof!

Don't remind me, I'm not looking forward to doing the fretwork on this guitar! Plus I've got two more frets than I should have on a strat (they're usually 22, aren't they?) so I've made even more work for myself.

Tonight I might have a go at the sides of the body with my spindle sander....or carry on working on the wedges for Sunrise....or work on the chest of drawers that I've started making....or start making the jig for the radius blocks....there's no shortage of things to do!

3. johnniegoat

GloopyJon likes this.
  4. GloopyJon

GloopyJon Woof!

I've looked at those, and the fixed angle is quite helpful. I have one of the Crimson fret levelling files (it came in the kit with my son's cigar box guitar) and I'm fairly happy just to angle it manually.

Anyway, talking about putting a smile on your face....I'm going home now! :)

Robstafarian and johnniegoat like this.
  5. johnniegoat

@GloopyJon

24 frets is not so bad - and you can always lop off 2 before you go any further :)

6. I demand satisfaction

I demand satisfaction Well-Known Member

One more day until the Frenzel arrives. I changed delivery so it will be delivered to the UPS store by my office.

Robstafarian likes this.
  7. Wade Garrett

Wade Garrett I am the projectionist.

I've been on a first aid course for the last two days (which I passed with full marks, go me! :D) which was rather uncomfortable because I really don't like classrooms and exams, especially when there's no real study time, I still get nightmares about doing exams and realising I haven't studied! It's nice to be back at work.

8. ed lespaul

ed lespaul Well-Known Member

Excellent!!! It's a fantastic course to take. My wife and I took this course before having kids, because we didn't want to be one of those people that didn't know what to do if a situation arises with our kids. It came in handy a few times, one was a baby (not mine).

9. Wade Garrett

The paramedic that taught us said he and his nurse wife both freaked out when the first medical emergency happened with their kids, I can't imagine having to deal with that. Sounds like someone out there should be very thankful you were around, good for you mate.

Robstafarian and bad alice like this.
  10. ed lespaul

ed lespaul Well-Known Member

I was sitting with my 2 kids, in a fairly large outdoor eating area of a park. My wife went looking for a bathrrom. Then I heard a scream "He's not breathing!!!!" The woman was hysterical, and rightfully so. I looked around and nobody else moved, they just looked. My kids were very young at that time, and I feared for them also. I ran over, took the kid and he wasn't breathing, and turning blue. Several attempts of the heimlich failed, and I put the kid face down on my forearm, and started hitting min on the back, like you're trained. Thankfully, it dislodged and the kid started crying. Thank God. All the while I was doing this, I had my face to my kids, in case they wanted to run off.

The real scary part was that the kid I saved, was choking on something he was eating. It took a bit of effort to dislodge. After it was out and the kid got his color back, I tried to explain to the mother what to do if this ever happens again. She told me that she knew what to do, but just froze with her own child, she's a nurse. That, along with the adrenaline rush, shook me to the core. If a nurse panicked, how do I know I/we wont.

Rick, @ssinine, GloopyJon and 2 others like this.
  11. johnniegoat

12. bad alice

bad alice Easily distracted and...OHLOOKAGUITAR!!!

Good on you Gronw!:clap:
    Aside from passing a really important and useful course with flying colours (you legend, you!)
    That sounds like a fear that's had plenty of time to fester and grow.
    And you handled it like a BOSS.
    Nice one!
    :hug:
    :)

Robstafarian and Wade Garrett like this.
  13. Wade Garrett

Thanks Suzy, I really appreciate it. I think preparation is key for most things, there's nothing worse than being under prepared. I reeeeeeeeally don't like the exam dreams, instant anxiety!

bad alice and Robstafarian like this.
  14. Robstafarian

Robstafarian The Good and Wise Call Me “Rufustarian” Staff Member

I have anxious days and very nice dreams. In fact, last night's dream included hanging out with John Mayer…and that was not even the highlight.

bad alice likes this.
  15. bad alice

Easy there tiger.
    There's such a thing as too much detail...;)
    :D

16. bad alice

@Wade Garrett
    My anxiety dreams are usually to do with being frozen in place as a MASSIVE (miles in diameter) boulder rolls slowly towards me, in my eyeline, from hundreds of miles away.
    Horrible stuff:cold:
    But the upside for me is that the chances of actually encountering that in reality are pretty damn small!
    You just faced a fear that's been preying on your subconscious for years
    And not only handled it really well
    But aced the exam too.
    Seriously bud, that's impressive stuff!
    I hope you don't mind me saying;
    I'm properly proud of you...
    :)

Wade Garrett and Robstafarian like this.
  17. Robstafarian

Robstafarian The Good and Wise Call Me “Rufustarian” Staff Member

I said much the same regarding his clean tone. :p

bad alice likes this.
  18. Chu

Chu Well-Known Member

David Gilmour Live at Pompeii at Cineworld. Wow. That was truly special. I'm so glad I decided a few years ago to start going out to gigs and such things after falling out of the habit. Few things come close to the feeling I get watching a favourite band play a favourite song. I'm happy to say i cried more than once.

19. DrHankWanfordSnr

DrHankWanfordSnr That's not new, its always been there.

Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

I've saved both of my daughters from choking on food. Knowing what to do (and doing it). When you have a baby, and you're lucky to get something like a parentcraft class (or similar) and they offer baby lifesaving/first aid - do it. DO IT. What disappointed me was that me and Qizhi were the only people out of the class who did the extra course.

20. Wade Garrett

I'm glad your daughters were OK mate, good for you.

Robstafarian likes this.