What metronomes do you use?

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
When we started our first EP, our drummer did not want to use a click. In the end, we deleted all our recordings and we are starting over next week, because there was no way we could record a decent sounding album. He is now using a click during practice and he will be recording with scratch tracks that I recorded with a click.

AdiHughes

Sessions, Lessons & Shred
This one.

I bought one years ago and it was perfect, the best I've ever used, I really like the harsh crisp tone as it cuts through the music. After it eventually wore out, I bought the updated model, no-where near as good. So I managed to search out the earlier model and bought it again.

I use an older BOSS db60 which is cool and simple. But also lately I have started to use my Zoom 234 drum and bass machine which should have a metronome I need to find but so far the basic patterns is where I am starting to get used to it.

I have attached the Zoom to my Tascam 414 4 track cassette along with the Mesa Boogie Quad preamp recording A output into track 1 and 2.

With some adjustments it sounds pretty good for a 1990 tube amp that has no compression in the tones.

Wade Garrett

I am the projectionist.
When we started our first EP, our drummer did not want to use a click. In the end, we deleted all our recordings and we are starting over next week, because there was no way we could record a decent sounding album. He is now using a click during practice and he will be recording with scratch tracks that I recorded with a click.
I've only ever recorded one song without a click and it was bloody obvious, I won't be doing it again (having said that , it was about 25 years ago)! If all the band are recording together and the song calls for it then fair enough but generally I think click is better. One piece of advice I would give though is if you need to record a guide guitar for you drummer, record it at home to a similar drum beat and bring a file to the recording session. It's way easier than recording your guitar to a click, I had to record a complicated metal tune with just a click once and it was not easy at all. I think the fact there is more going on in a drum beat makes it easier to lock in.

I’ve only ever done pro recordings of cover songs for a demo we made for my old cover band and that is what got my drummer playing to a click track and from there he got into making sequences that really made us sound so much better. I read through all of these posts and plunked down on this:
Tetra-Teknica Essential Series EMT-800

I just want it for practicing scales and adding speed to my playing.

I got it yesterday and it definitely does what I want it to! I can hear it, but it’s not too annoying. I was able to work my way up to setting it to 80bpm and cleanly doing 6 note runs between each beat. That was doing 2 notes per string. (For me that’s a great improvement!) Now I need to work up to that speed doing 3 notes per string and I’ll really be happy.

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
I've only ever recorded one song without a click and it was bloody obvious, I won't be doing it again (having said that , it was about 25 years ago)! If all the band are recording together and the song calls for it then fair enough but generally I think click is better. One piece of advice I would give though is if you need to record a guide guitar for you drummer, record it at home to a similar drum beat and bring a file to the recording session. It's way easier than recording your guitar to a click, I had to record a complicated metal tune with just a click once and it was not easy at all. I think the fact there is more going on in a drum beat makes it easier to lock in.
I suggested this to our bass player who is also our studio guy. He didn't want to try it. He says my recordings on the click are fine.

Wade Garrett

I am the projectionist.
I suggested this to our bass player who is also our studio guy. He didn't want to try it. He says my recordings on the click are fine.
I think it's more a matter of comfort for me. I can record to click but I have to concentrate more on timing where if I'm recording to a drum track the timing is automatic and feel etc gets more attention.

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
I think it's more a matter of comfort for me. I can record to click but I have to concentrate more on timing where if I'm recording to a drum track the timing is automatic and feel etc gets more attention.
Same for me. With drums, I play the songs more naturally. With one song, on the click we noticed that some of my accents are not on the actual click, but right before. We never knew. So it was quite difficult to 1. follow the click to be on time but 2. ignore the click to play the accent at the right spot.

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
So we recorded drums friday and I actually got compliments from the Studio Engineer and his assistant for how extremely tight my guitar scratchtracks were played on a click. Our drummer was also very happy with my work. As a result he played his ass off. Honestly, we have never seen him play that good. He was an absolute beast. We heard some of the recordings and it's immense. So tight.

beans & rice

It's here. But I haven't gotten around to try it out yet. I'll report back as soon as I have. But that may be in a couple of days.
I traded in my Swollen Pickle today against one of these. Only been playing with it for about 10 minutes and I got stuck on an AC/DC Thunderstruck tangent for most of that time. :D But it seems fun and functional enough for me. Much smaller footprint than I'd imagined from looking online. Fits the spot where I need it quite nicely. :D