What is my vocal range ( beginner , btw , I’m not a singer

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by music disaster, Jul 16, 2018.

1. music disaster

music disaster Member

Hi guys.
    I’m new here , and thank you for accepting me :)
    My question is , what is my vocal range ?
    I had only 3 lessons till now , and my teacher won’t tell me , what is my vocal range .
    I never ever sing professionally.
    I cannot sing, but I really want to learn (just for hobby or relax )

Don’t laugh to much

2. GloopyJon

GloopyJon Woof!

First of all, good on you for having a go and taking lessons. Everyone starts out as a beginner and the only way is up. You shouldn't call yourself a "disaster" - be positive!

I can tell you why your vocal teacher won't tell you what your range is. It's because you don't yet know how to use your voice, and so you cannot explore the limits of your range to determine that. From the sound of your voice, it's quite light and I'd suspect you'd be a tenor or high baritone, but it isn't possible yet to know.

The first issue is breathing and vocal support. At the moment, there's a lot of breathiness in your voice which means that you aren't controlling it. You need to be in control of your whole system - basically everything involved from the diaphragm upwards - in order to sing properly. This doesn't come naturally to most people, so you need to learn how to do it, and this can be quite hard because it's all about controlling muscles that are deep inside your body, and so there's very little that's visible to see what you need to do - singing teachers do a lot by analogy and metaphor ("the mask", for example) and so there's a lot of work in understanding how you translate that into what you do with your body.

Another aspect of vocal control is pitch, and at the moment you're not always on pitch. You need to listen very closely to the music and your voice, and learn how to control your pitch, to make sure that you're closer to the right pitch. Again, that comes with practice.

Don't be depressed by any of this - you're doing the right thing if you want to get into singing by learning what to do. Don't expect it to happen overnight, though!

3. bad alice

bad alice Easily distracted and...OHLOOKAGUITAR!!!

@GloopyJon that’s some terrific advice.
    You dude, you:clap:
    Although I’m guessing alto as opposed to baritone/tenor as I’m guessing from her avatar and the audio that @music disaster is a lady (just like my good self)?;)
    Good to have you here @music disaster
    And I second @GloopyJon; you’re no disaster!
    It’s rare for anyone to start out being able to nail any kind of skill; be tha playing an instrument, driving a car or singing like a pro
    So go easy on yourself and, most importantly, ENJOY the journey
    Making music is too much fun not to...
    :)

4. GloopyJon

GloopyJon Woof!

Hah yes, you're right, how embarrassing! I can only defend myself by saying that the voice didn't stand out very clearly in the recording :)

As for the avatar....well, if you look at mine, you'd think that I was a dog. They can be misleading (also I didn't pay any attention to it).

5. bad alice

bad alice Easily distracted and...OHLOOKAGUITAR!!!

Wait.
    You aren’t a delightfully cute Highland terrier?
    Dash my dreams why don’t you!
    ;)
    :)

music disaster and Robstafarian like this.
  6. GloopyJon

GloopyJon Woof!

OK, I'm still trying to justify my embarrassing faux-pas...let's also not forget that you were singing a song that's sung by a man, which also misled me!

There is a serious point there, though, in that a song sung by a man is not going to test your full range as a woman. By all means sing those songs for your own pleasure, but for developing your voice you will need to sing things that are written for your range and not songs that only use the lower half of your range. I'm sure that your vocal coach will be able to suggest more suitable material for that purpose.
    Sadly, no, because our dogs certainly have a great life. The little one is all grown up now (she's 3 years old) but I watched a couple of videos recently from when she first arrived as a puppy, and she was so cute it's not true! We've been thinking about having puppies with them but I'm not sure if we could bear to give them away...

@ssinine, Robstafarian and bad alice like this.
  7. Magnus Pym

Magnus Pym Grudges rot the soul

The problem with singing is that anyone can do it simply by opening their mouth, it's not always good. Kudos for being serious about it and taking lessons. I suspect that your teacher isn't telling you your range becasue a) by proper training and practise you will probably grow your voice and b) it doesn't really mean anything, It's really a vague way of categorising singing jobs especially in opera. It doesn't define the singer. (AFAIK Opera is usually about a young couple and their rebellion against the old ways, The young couple would be written as Tenor/Soprano. The old King/Queen by Baritone/Alto. This also works for Pop vs Country songs). Again well done for making a solid start.

My advice: Trust your teacher. Practise. Let us know how you get on.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
  8. music disaster

music disaster Member

Oh , wow you all are so kind ❤️ Your comments mean so much for me.
    I’m a girl , but I don’t know why , I always choose songs , with male voices ..
    My teacher told me that I can sing both high and low notes, when we practice.
    I don’t why i want so much to understand about the range.
    Maybe my voice feel good in baritone (I know i have to tell mezzo Soprano, but I only sing songs , singed by male singers )

And I really think it’s hard to control breathing, and all muscles...
    I’m gonna make some karaoke.
    Thank you so much

My English it’s not so good btw , sorry for that

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
  9. Robstafarian

Robstafarian The Good and Wise Call Me “Rufus”

You have been easy to understand. Thanks for your effort.

10. Wuzza

Wuzza long time lurker

On the floor, triumphantly holding a bottle of red
    @music disaster First, Kudos for having the "balls" to post this in the first place. I'd also love to sing, and do to annoy my work friends. :p
    Second, I don't know much about singing, but keep practicing, 3 lessons isn't much. :)

music disaster likes this.
  11. ScutMonkey

ScutMonkey Well-Known Member

Exactly. Your teacher won't tell you, because your teacher doesn't know yet. As you practice and build the muscles you are using (vocal chords are muscles), your range will open up and become bigger. You will also find that you have sweet spots within that range where you have more power and alternately less power in other places. You will also have a "head voice" and a "chest voice" and may decide not to use one or the other. It will not be black and white as to where your range is. Lastly, your range will change over time. If you'd like to hear a very good example of this, listen to these two and realize they are the same person - Paul Rogers:

Forty years later:

In the second clip, notice two things. First how crazy the muscles in his neck are. Second, look at how far he has to now pull the mic from his face when he really lets it rip. He's so much more powerful now than he was when he was younger and that's from years and years and years of training and taking care of his voice.

12. Paul Wickham

Paul Wickham Oh no you didn't!

First, you have been given excellent advice here so I will not repeat what others have already said.
    What I will say is I have worked with a lot of singers and I hear potential in your voice, there is a nice breathy quality that is quite natural some never get.

So you are doing exactly the right thing by going to a vocal coach. Keep that up, keep up your vocal exercises and time will do the rest. :)

music disaster likes this.
  13. music disaster

music disaster Member

ScutMonkey, thank you for example <3
    Thank you so much guys , now I understand why she don’t telling me .
    Unfortunately I have problem whit my throat and I don’t visit my teacher.
    And here is summer and everybody is on vacation, so
    I sing everyday, and I use lessons from apps and internet, just to know the notes .
    But I feel more comfortable with my teacher.
    Thank you again.

Ps : im a smoker :( I don’t smoke to much , but I think this is a big problem for singing

Robstafarian likes this.
  14. Tankman

Tankman Well-Known Member

So quit?

Robstafarian and music disaster like this.
  15. music disaster

music disaster Member

So my voice sounds like that right now. I obviously have a virus.
    I tried to exercise, but I was a little bit annoyed by my throat. hope to go and visit my teacher soon :)
    Do not laugh at the video, but you have much more experience than me and you are so responsive for which I thank you so much.
    Btw I love Linkin Park
    And Chester’s voice is one of my favourite voices .
    What voices do you prefer or what kind of music ?

Video

There is a back noises

16. Chu

Chu Well-Known Member

I'm a singer and can often find something to enjoy in any good singer. If in had to pick favourites it would be (in no order)

Devin Townsend, Freddie Mercury, Mike Patton, Myles Kennedy and Pink. Chester is pretty special too.

Wade Garrett and music disaster like this.