Weathered look guitar build

Alex Theory

Northern Monkey
I'm looking fotward to that bit! I'm going to need to sort the heel first though, I'll see if I can find some time before the end on the week to do that. What's good for cutting screws? A couple need to be shorter once the heel is an aanj.

I would be tempted to buy new screws that are the correct length really, the self tapping element of the screw is lost if you chop it down. If you definitely have to shorten a screw i've always used a dremel and a cutting wheel.

Wade Garrett

I am the projectionist.
I would be tempted to buy new screws that are the correct length really, the self tapping element of the screw is lost if you chop it down. If you definitely have to shorten a screw i've always used a dremel and a cutting wheel.
I might have a look to see if somene sells shorter ones then, the less grief the better!

Rurin

I finally got started on the body today, I worked on a wall outside while the sun was setting which was very mellow! The plan was that I would use a chisell and a hammer to cut the body and the wall would also put more random scrapes in there. It worked quite well! I need to decide if it's banged up enough as it is or if I should give it another once over.

I sanded the cuts with 80 grit sand paper the get rid of any potential splinter issues and to roughen things up a bit more. I got rid of the line the router bit left around the sides though, I wasn't feeling it.

It's not that easy to see all the work done in the pics, I think what you see depends on where the light is.
Those bodies come very rough out off the CNC, on the Belly cut off the body i got has several lines that after i sanded the 1st time still are present, i am going back to 80 grit to remove them ;p My alder body had a lot wood splinted on the edges, so the contour off the guitar was totally redone by me with rasp's and scrapers.

Think i am going with the same bridge that is used on the ML-1 from my measures it should fit in there, it works form 54 to 56 mm and the drilled holes for the bridge from my measure are around 55.

Wade Garrett

I am the projectionist.
Those bodies come very rough out off the CNC, on the Belly cut off the body i got has several lines that after i sanded the 1st time still are present, i am going back to 80 grit to remove them ;p My alder body had a lot wood splinted on the edges, so the contour off the guitar was totally redone by me with rasp's and scrapers.

Think i am going with the same bridge that is used on the ML-1 from my measures it should fit in there, it works form 54 to 56 mm and the drilled holes for the bridge from my measure are around 55.
Are you going to document your build here dude? There's a lot of work to be done to these bodies if you want a perfect finish, the damage on mine gave me a head start though! :D

Rurin

I want a perfect finish, it means a lot off work. Already has several hours on sanding.
1st i worked on the edges off the guitar, there was a lot off wood splinted. On the horns the routing ends very abruptly and also the transition from some lines to other lines are also not smooth witch means i had to work on those so it feels natural.

Then i moved to sanding the body with an orbital sander to smooth out the majority off the body with a high grit sand paper since i did not want to create uneven surfaces in the body 80 grit is very abrasive, even by hand if you sand to much on one spot you can create bumps in the surface.

At the moment trying to remove some nasty lines left on the wood by the CNC router this, 80 grit on them and on some cases even by hand to remove them it creates bump that need to be flatted out, also trying to remove most off the small scratches that you can only spot if you stare at them but will reveal them self's when the finish is put on.

Currently i only taken pictures off the body in start condition when i reach the final sanding condition will take more.

Also i have to manage to get hold off a 20 CM long drill bit to drill between the pickups to pass the cable.

Wade Garrett

I am the projectionist.
I want a perfect finish, it means a lot off work. Already has several hours on sanding.
1st i worked on the edges off the guitar, there was a lot off wood splinted. On the horns the routing ends very abruptly and also the transition from some lines to other lines are also not smooth witch means i had to work on those so it feels natural.

Then i moved to sanding the body with an orbital sander to smooth out the majority off the body with a high grit sand paper since i did not want to create uneven surfaces in the body 80 grit is very abrasive, even by hand if you sand to much on one spot you can create bumps in the surface.

At the moment trying to remove some nasty lines left on the wood by the CNC router this, 80 grit on them and on some cases even by hand to remove them it creates bump that need to be flatted out, also trying to remove most off the small scratches that you can only spot if you stare at them but will reveal them self's when the finish is put on.

Currently i only taken pictures off the body in start condition when i reach the final sanding condition will take more.

Also i have to manage to get hold off a 20 CM long drill bit to drill between the pickups to pass the cable.
Cool dude, I'm looking forward to seeing the pics.

Wade Garrett

I am the projectionist.
I'm beginning to second guess myself here. I deffo want a volume knob with treble bleed and a killswitch but now I'm wondering if I should use the other holes instead of filling them. 3 holes left - instead of having a coil split on a push / push knob I should have a mini three way toggle for series / parallel / split, mini toggle blower switch for humbucker direct to output action and a switch to turn on leds if I go with that idea, not decided yet.

Hmmmm.

Wade Garrett

I am the projectionist.
You're putting in a lot of work there Rurin!

I'm no further along myself, I've been working on ideas for a band of mine so I haven't been working on the guitar. I need to make time to get back to it.

Rurin

You're putting in a lot of work there Rurin!

I'm no further along myself, I've been working on ideas for a band of mine so I haven't been working on the guitar. I need to make time to get back to it.
Lots of hours, on normal week day after work i usually put 2 hours in to this project, 1h to 1h and half guitar practice, 30 minutes or so on fitness exercises routine since it probably helps a bit in getting my left hand more strength, at least in the couple off weeks its been noticeable in my play and that left arm witch had given me problems in the last couple off years in terms off pain after a back problem cause by work accident, is starting to fell a lot better, i started playing guitar kinda off thinking on it has a exercise for that arm, i always wanted to play it just started late. So now my pain on the arm is more related to neck witch is where all you're nerves pass, if anything wrong in there you will feel along you're body so fitness is forcing me to correct those issues. Basically my work day has like 17H off work that's why this project has any thing done.

Wade Garrett

I am the projectionist.
Right then update time!

Original heel:

The neck holes were already drilled on the other side so drilled through:

Drilled for ferrules, moved one hole and cut:

Shaped. I'm wodering if I should smooth things out on the heel or leave it a bit rough as per the rest of the guitar. It ended up more like a cross between an Music Man and an AANJ in the end:

Now for the cutaway on the horn:

The first version was a bit shallow:

Second pass was deeper and a better feel, upper fret access is a lot better after these mods:

The next big job will be to start on the neck, there's a lot of re shaping to do to get rid of most of that heel:

Not a bad result really, I've been a bit nervous about making these changes. I've never taken my modifing to the extent I am on this build so I'm quite pleased! Plus I was rewarded with this view before I went back in the flat: