Weathered look guitar build

Wade Garrett

I am the projectionist.
The grille idea is nice. Throw in some LEDs to light up the cavity, too. Or find one of those pedals with the fake tube that lights up and stick that in there. Tell people that it's a tube guitar :p.
I've been considering the led option, I've got plenty left after the last time! I'd probably have to put the switch at the back somewhere though, I don't want to clutter the front of the guitar. Led's in the control and pickup cavity would be cool. It's possible to use a screw as a contact switch somehow, I watched a video on Youtube a while back about it.

Have you decided what to do with the extra holes wade?
I think I'm only going to use two - volume and killswitch. I'll fill in the other three, as it happens I have a small piece of Ash I can use.

Yes, I am awake now and I think you should have a P90, or mini-bucker slot routed into the neck position. With coil-tap on the humbucker in the bridge.

*I didn't say I was really that much more bright when I was awake.*
I'd prefer one pickup to be honest but coil split is definately going to happen on the bridge pickup. I've never been a huge neck pickup fan, it seems to suit things I don't play more than the things I do.

Wade Garrett

I am the projectionist.

The body was what I expected, rough and unfinished, the builder never got round doing any drilling for the wiring / trem earth so I'll need to sort that. I like the it, nice grain too, I'm looking forward to battering it!

The neck it solidly enough built but not exactly first class, finishing is a bit rough but it seems structuraly sound. I'd probably be a bit dissapointed if I wanted to use it as it is but since I don't it's all good.

imalone

The man knows his ebay parts! Have you used either yourself?
Not quite, spent much too much time researching parts on ebay when doing my build, got a woodwoo body, which I think is the same people as booboo guitars, worked out well. Seco didn't sell quite what I wanted (can't remember what the criteria was), but looked through loads of their items and recognised the number-tag-next-to-neck look pictures.
Looks promising so far, guitar fairy has done well.

Rurin

I also stumble across this boobooguitars, there is one body that i probably will bid when the time ends, so far no bids.

The neck pocket on those guitars is the standard one 56 mm? Looking at the bodies i would think vintage style Wilkinson tremolo would fit, since its likely the guitars are routed on the CNC for standard dimensions, at least that's my plan for my build.

This bodies are similar to the ones in http://guitarbuild.co.uk/ witch also sells some bodies in eBay i think.

DrKarnivore

Browsing your web and SMS history
Staff member
I also stumble across this boobooguitars, there is one body that i probably will bid when the time ends, so far no bids.

The neck pocket on those guitars is the standard one 56 mm? Looking at the bodies i would think vintage style Wilkinson tremolo would fit, since its likely the guitars are routed on the CNC for standard dimensions, at least that's my plan for my build.

This bodies are similar to the ones in http://guitarbuild.co.uk/ witch also sells some bodies in eBay i think.
They're similar because it's the same company. Boo boo are the bodies made from imperfect wood or they screwed up with the router.

clone1205

Has a Well-Known Member
They're similar because it's the same company. Boo boo are the bodies made from imperfect wood or they screwed up with the router.
However they insist they are different companies and refuse to combine shipping... they don't like when you point out the fact they have the same VAT number.

Rurin

That explains it, i did not know any other doing this types off routing on strat bodies, mostly are SSS standard configs for scratch plate.

Also on the shop there's a section for "No Faults-unsanded & undrilled", some look OK, on the faulty ones i saw one that looked lovely but had a large hole in one off the sides.

I probably will get this one, looks nice on the pics.

Wade Garrett

I am the projectionist.
I finally got started on the body today, I worked on a wall outside while the sun was setting which was very mellow! The plan was that I would use a chisell and a hammer to cut the body and the wall would also put more random scrapes in there. It worked quite well! I need to decide if it's banged up enough as it is or if I should give it another once over.

I sanded the cuts with 80 grit sand paper the get rid of any potential splinter issues and to roughen things up a bit more. I got rid of the line the router bit left around the sides though, I wasn't feeling it.

It's not that easy to see all the work done in the pics, I think what you see depends on where the light is.

Wade Garrett

I am the projectionist.
A bit of dark stain in the 'damaged' areas and a quick sand back will make them stand out a lot more.
I'm looking fotward to that bit! I'm going to need to sort the heel first though, I'll see if I can find some time before the end on the week to do that. What's good for cutting screws? A couple need to be shorter once the heel is an aanj.