Wade's pedalboard adventures

Wade Garrett

I am the projectionist.

My board has pretty stayed as it is in the picture for quite a while but I've started trying a few different things, the Guvnor was replaced with a Mini Spark Boost and then I replaced that with a Durple. I've started using my Wylde wah again but off the board so I can take the Wahter off which would give me space to try the phaser before the amp (I'm not keen on it in the loop) and I want to use the tremolo pedal I bought recently instead of the Vibratrem but it's bigger.

I'd also like to use my DD7 instead of the Flashback but that also needs space for the extra tap tempo switch (which is also problematic in way I'll get to later). I'd like to have the Durple and the Mini Spark on there as well, and there's a distortion pedal I fancy, and I might finally get a fuzz to play with (maybe) and of course there already a bunch of other pedals on the shelf already I can use.

This is about this point is where I had a Jaws moment and realised I need a bigger board. I think the Pedaltrain Classic Junior has been outgrown, historically I've not been a pedal person but I really need to stop buying so many guitars! Pedals are cheaper and I'm having fun trying stuff out so I'm thinking about something like this:

https://www.dv247.com/en_GB/GBP/Ped...MIta3E4Mz75gIVS1XTCh2PAQadEAkYASABEgL2DvD_BwE

It's pretty much twice the size of my present one so it should be future proof...for a while at least! :D

The two £18 power supplies I have been using have been ok but the Digitech drop is noisy as hell when powered from it so I'm probably going to get one of these:

https://www.dv247.com/en_GB/GBP/Palmer-PWT-12-Mk2-Power-Bar/art-GIT0045578-000

It looks like a decent unit, versatile and not too expensive. It'll be nice to get rid of that noise.

I've been wondering if it was possible to find a way to change the channel on my amp and kick in an eq pedal at the same time. The shared eq means the clean channel could sound better (eq is set for dirty) and an eq pedal would go a long way towards that goal. After going around in circles for a while trying to figure it out I came across this switcher:

https://www.thomann.de/intl/harley_benton_fxl8_pro.htm

I hadn't really considered buying a looper but after checking out what this thing can do I'm more than tempted to add it to the mix. It would also solve the problem I've been having with the DD7, when the external tap tempo switch is used you can hear a clicking sound in time with your tempo. With the looper I could put the DD7 in it's own loop and leave the DD7 itself in tap tempo mode instead of having to use the external tap tempo.

It would also clean up the signal a bit in general and make switching in different sounds much easier. I've begun to thing about what would go in which loops, I think it could work out quite well.

Have any of you used this gear? I know I've asked about the power supply before but have you tried the looper? It's the same as the Joyo FXL8 as far as I know.

Last edited:

SemiCullen

Still haven't got the hang of Thursdays

The two £18 power supplies I have been using have been ok but the Digitech drop is noisy as hell ...
I use the Digitech power cord -- the wall wort -- for the Drop. I've tried a few different multi-power supply units and this is the only way I've been able to get it completely clean. I have it and a Digitech Whammy running off their own power cords and everything else goes into my One Spot.

Wade Garrett

I am the projectionist.
I use the Digitech power cord -- the wall wort -- for the Drop. I've tried a few different multi-power supply units and this is the only way I've been able to get it completely clean. I have it and a Digitech Whammy running off their own power cords and everything else goes into my One Spot.
I'll have a look if I have one, I bought it second hand so I can't be sure.

Wade Garrett

I am the projectionist.
The bad - The fridge/freezer broke so I've had to buy a new one, I've had to book the car into the garage to fix a bunch of stuff and I think I might need dental work. It looks like I might have to spread buying the new stuff out over a couple of months. I'm going to wait until I know how much the car will cost me before making the final decision. I tried the tremolo pedal I got off Ebay and at the moment it kinda sucks. The tremolo effect is percussive, there's an audible thud. The gain pot is either broken or is the dirtiest pot ever. It makes a horrible cracking sound that's WAAAAAAY louder than the guitar when you turn the knob. I'll see if I can clean it when I get a chance, I'm glad I didn't spend too much on it.

The good - I plugged in my NUX Time Force yesterday for the first time in about 2 years. It's been sat on a shelf since it died at a gig after my pedalboard got drenched in beer. To my amazement it seems to be working again!

It's hanging off the side of my board at the moment because there's no where to put it! This thing is a lot of fun and it was only £50 or £60 brand new, they don't seem to make them any more unfortunately. `Trying this and the tremolo reinforced that I need a new board so whatever happens I will buy the board this month at the very least so I can experiment with more of my pedals.

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck

My board has pretty stayed as it is in the picture for quite a while but I've started trying a few different things, the Guvnor was replaced with a Mini Spark Boost and then I replaced that with a Durple. I've started using my Wylde wah again but off the board so I can take the Wahter off which would give me space to try the phaser before the amp (I'm not keen on it in the loop) and I want to use the tremolo pedal I bought recently instead of the Vibratrem but it's bigger.

I'd also like to use my DD7 instead of the Flashback but that also needs space for the extra tap tempo switch (which is also problematic in way I'll get to later). I'd like to have the Durple and the Mini Spark on there as well, and there's a distortion pedal I fancy, and I might finally get a fuzz to play with (maybe) and of course there already a bunch of other pedals on the shelf already I can use.

This is about this point is where I had a Jaws moment and realised I need a bigger board. I think the Pedaltrain Classic Junior has been outgrown, historically I've not been a pedal person but I really need to stop buying so many guitars! Pedals are cheaper and I'm having fun trying stuff out so I'm thinking about something like this:

https://www.dv247.com/en_GB/GBP/Ped...MIta3E4Mz75gIVS1XTCh2PAQadEAkYASABEgL2DvD_BwE

It's pretty much twice the size of my present one so it should be future proof...for a while at least! :D

The two £18 power supplies I have been using have been ok but the Digitech drop is noisy as hell when powered from it so I'm probably going to get one of these:

https://www.dv247.com/en_GB/GBP/Palmer-PWT-12-Mk2-Power-Bar/art-GIT0045578-000

It looks like a decent unit, versatile and not too expensive. It'll be nice to get rid of that noise.

I've been wondering if it was possible to find a way to change the channel on my amp and kick in an eq pedal at the same time. The shared eq means the clean channel could sound better (eq is set for dirty) and an eq pedal would go a long way towards that goal. After going around in circles for a while trying to figure it out I came across this switcher:

https://www.thomann.de/intl/harley_benton_fxl8_pro.htm

I hadn't really considered buying a looper but after checking out what this thing can do I'm more than tempted to add it to the mix. It would also solve the problem I've been having with the DD7, when the external tap tempo switch is used you can hear a clicking sound in time with your tempo. With the looper I could put the DD7 in it's own loop and leave the DD7 itself in tap tempo mode instead of having to use the external tap tempo.

It would also clean up the signal a bit in general and make switching in different sounds much easier. I've begun to thing about what would go in which loops, I think it could work out quite well.

Have any of you used this gear? I know I've asked about the power supply before but have you tried the looper? It's the same as the Joyo FXL8 as far as I know.
I haven't had the time to properly reply until now.

Regarding the Pedaltrain. I still think they are the best pedalboard solution on the market. I considered a Rockboard Quad 4.1 for a while and I actually ordered a T-Rex Tonetrunk last month, but sent it back. In the end, I ordered a Pedaltrain Classic Jr. which should be in this weekend. As for the Novo series, I don't get the uneven number of bars unless you are using a slim loop switcher like the Harley Benton you suggested. Other than that, I don't like them. That's the main reason I sold my Metro 24. I used to use it with a switcher and my HX effects also fit on it perfectly.

As for the Palmer Power Supply, Palmer is a great brand. They make decent, high quality products at a good price. I've been looking at the PWT12 as well. The only thing I'm concerned about is the mini pots for the voltage on outputs 9-12. I don't want those moving around and then have me accidentally put 18 volts on a 9 volt pedal etc.

I can highly recommend the One Control switchers. I used to have the Chamaeleo Tail Loop MKII which also did channel switching on my amp with a TRS cable. This unit does not have MIDI and you have to sacrifice one of the 5 loops to be able to do amp switching. They do have bigger units, which I've seen Devin Townsend use live. Those can do a lot more. Again, more expensive than the Harley Bentons, but a lot cheaper than say a Gig Rig. But they are so simple to use. The G-Lab stuff is also good by the way.

Wade Garrett

I am the projectionist.
I haven't had the time to properly reply until now.

Regarding the Pedaltrain. I still think they are the best pedalboard solution on the market. I considered a Rockboard Quad 4.1 for a while and I actually ordered a T-Rex Tonetrunk last month, but sent it back. In the end, I ordered a Pedaltrain Classic Jr. which should be in this weekend. As for the Novo series, I don't get the uneven number of bars unless you are using a slim loop switcher like the Harley Benton you suggested. Other than that, I don't like them. That's the main reason I sold my Metro 24. I used to use it with a switcher and my HX effects also fit on it perfectly.

As for the Palmer Power Supply, Palmer is a great brand. They make decent, high quality products at a good price. I've been looking at the PWT12 as well. The only thing I'm concerned about is the mini pots for the voltage on outputs 9-12. I don't want those moving around and then have me accidentally put 18 volts on a 9 volt pedal etc.

I can highly recommend the One Control switchers. I used to have the Chamaeleo Tail Loop MKII which also did channel switching on my amp with a TRS cable. This unit does not have MIDI and you have to sacrifice one of the 5 loops to be able to do amp switching. They do have bigger units, which I've seen Devin Townsend use live. Those can do a lot more. Again, more expensive than the Harley Bentons, but a lot cheaper than say a Gig Rig. But they are so simple to use. The G-Lab stuff is also good by the way.
I think the idea of the Novo boards is to make smaller pedals more stable by having more of the bars under them, at least I think I read that! I agree about the pots on the Palmer, switches would be much safer. I'll check out the One Control switchers, I'm not familiar with them.

I'm considering making a light to shine on my knobs [pauses to rephrase, thinks better of it and carries on] as my ability to see what the settings are is diminishing unless I have really bright light.
That's not a bad idea, have you seen these?
https://m.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_usb_ledlamp_pedal.htm

DrHankWanfordSnr

That's not new, its always been there.
I think the idea of the Novo boards is to make smaller pedals more stable by having more of the bars under them, at least I think I read that! I agree about the pots on the Palmer, switches would be much safer. I'll check out the One Control switchers, I'm not familiar with them.

That's not a bad idea, have you seen these?
https://m.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_usb_ledlamp_pedal.htm
Sweet !!! - freaking perfect !!
On my desk i have 2x led lamps attached to my keyboard.... this would be just like that for my 'tone plank'

Wade Garrett

I am the projectionist.
IMG_20200117_163437339.jpg

I spent a bit of time before I collect Kerry from work playing with some pedals. I plugged in my DD7 again to see if I could do anything about the ticking I was getting when using the external tap tempo. No need to anything, it's not there anymore! I used to use it with my AMT R2 into the Palmer power amp and it always ticked but it seems fine with the 5150. Awesome!

I tried the Rat too, I need to play with it a bit more before I can make my mind up about it. It's a pretty different sound to what I gravitate to.

The boards becoming more of a mess every time I look at it now.