Vintage V100MRPGM (Peter Green Lemon Drop) review

Speedin Bob

Getcho Groovy Face ON!
Below is a review of the Vintage V100MRPGM (Peter Green/Gary Moore Lemon Drop) guitar purchased last week.

Before beginning, a bit of clarification on a couple of points is necesary.

First, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see their guitars are copies of...oh wait..."Tribute to" Gibson, Fender, and PRS guitars. The point of this thread is not to create a debate over design copyrights, ethics, where it is made, etc. There are other forums for that. Instead, it is meant to review the guitar based on build quality, playability, hardware, tonal opinion, value for funds spent, annoying areas, and overall impression.

Second, Vintage brand of guitars aren't very prevalent in my area of the world (Midwest, USA) so buying one new was a sight unseen/unplayed risk as there are no dealers in my immediate vicinity.
The guitar was purchased new from a retailer via eBay. Price was $550 which seemed a little high but included shipping.

Packing was pretty standard. QC sheet, guitar in protective sleeve, neck supported, etc. One concern was a lack of a Styrofoam “donut” over the toggle switch which had punched a hole in the cardboard. It turned out to not be an issue and did not damage the switch.
Initial feel of the satin finish was fine and a nice touch. It feels like a piece of lumber in your hands.

Being a factory relic’d guitar, it didn’t have quite an appropriate amount of checks, dings, etc one would expect. That will occur naturally over time. Holes and Kluson teeth marks for the where the ‘original’ tuners and pickguard mount points were there and added to the theme.

The construction consists of mahogany body and neck (set), flame maple veneer cap, and 22 frets.
Weight of this particular guitar was 8.665 lbs.

The neck has a nice profile and is neither chunky Gibson nor Ibanez Wizard thin.

The fret board is Rosewood and is smooth but seemed a little dry. The frets seem to be of medium size. Not super mega jumbo but not vintage pencil lead thin either. The ends were not sharp yet they were all smooth, level, and had no evidence of buzzing from open to all the way up the neck with low action.

The Wilkinson tuners are nice and smooth as could be expected.

The nut could use a bit of lube as the G string “tings” a little when tuning. Easily solved but worth mentioning.

The knobs are nice, smooth, and not scratchy. As of this writing, the cavity hasn’t been opened to investigate the pot and cap values.

The selector switch is quiet and the tip is a little longer than its Gibson counterpart. All good there.

The Wilky bridge and tailpiece have a bit of aging on them. The tailpiece has very little tilt inside the mounting screws. The guitar was perfectly intonated right out of the box. Nice!

Acoustic strumming had a nice ring and it begged to be plugged in. Why argue?
The Wilkinson pickups are simply great. They (as well as the vibe of the guitar) aren’t suited for drop tuned, chugga chugga chugga type of playing. A little internet research they’re Alnico V magnet modeled after Seth Lover’s PAF design. The reverse mount on the neck pickup is a nice nod as is the raw nickel finish. When the selector switch is in the middle position, the pickups are wired to be out of phase. You don’t really hear the difference when both volume pots are on 10 but once you roll back either the bridge or neck to about 8, it really becomes noticeable and puts a smile on your face.

There are very few mildly annoying areas worth noting.

The relic pattern on the back of the body looks like a template was attached during the finishing process and lacks authentic wear as the perimeter finish line has an ever-so-slight bump to it. This can be easily solved with some sanding to feather it out and why not, it’s already relic’d. The same can be said for the “worn” sections of the neck although not as blatant.

Overall impression exceeded expectations. Construction, weight, hardware, form, function, tone, and overall feel, while subjective, are great. There were several moments of hitting that note with just the right amount of vibrato that makes you smile.

As cliché as it sounds, it is a great guitar for the money.

Robert

Gratuitous imagery.

Lemon Drop (1) (Small).JPG Lemon Drop (6) edit (Small).JPG Lemon Drop (9) (Small).JPG Lemon Drop (10) (Small).JPG Lemon Drop (11) (Small).JPG Vintage V100-1e (Small) edit.JPG Vintage V100-2e (Small).JPG VIntage V100 weight(small).JPG

Scott Cameron

Nice guitar, tastefully relic'd. Im just not that fond of the Vintage headstock top edge but im sure thats as close as they could get to a Gibson without being sued! HNGD :)

Magnus Pym

Grudges rot the soul
The only thing I have against Vintage guitars is; Why did they call themselves Vintage? It's a word that already has a meaning in the guitar world and might well apply to their own products in time. Nice guitar though.

Speedin Bob

Getcho Groovy Face ON!
Finally got around to changing the factory strings with my preferred Ernie Ball Extra Slinky 10's and lightly oiled the fretboard.

The more I play it, the more I REALLY like it. That out of phase option is addicting and it plays and feels as nice as the GM tribute LP I GAS'd over for a bit yet was 1/6 the price.

Done!