Trying to play lead, without sounding like I am playing scales

Discussion in 'Playing' started by Felix, Aug 6, 2017.

1. DrHankWanfordSnr

DrHankWanfordSnr That's not new, its always been there.

2. @ssinine

@ssinine Professional noodler

If I hadn't discovered Sealab 2021 before Archer it would easily be my favoritest thing in the world.
    Both involve Adam Reed, though, so win-win.

3. ShinyChocobo

ShinyChocobo Well-Known Member

As others have said, put down your guitar and sing some lead lines, you want to play music, if what you're playing is always coming from your hands and the physical shapes you know, it's gonna sound like scales.

Felix likes this.
  4. Felix

Felix Addicted to Grunge

Thankyou my Final Fantasy loving friend! (I recently started playing FF14 and it took me 5 weeks to go from level 1 to 70 and complete the main storyline and the Dragoon storyline)

I've been using a bit of lick one from the video @bad alice posted in this thread and have been linking bits of other solo's I know.

Simon Park and bad alice like this.
  5. Wuzza

Wuzza long time lurker

On the floor, triumphantly holding a bottle of red
    This.

My soloing has come on leaps and bounds since I started joining in on the jams, and for pretty much all of them I've started with singing lines in the shower. :) A good rule of thumb I go with, is if you can remember them the following day, then there's something there. ;)

Simon Park likes this.
  6. Felix

Felix Addicted to Grunge

I'm not bothered about making up a solo, I want to be able to jam with blues/rock or play lead stuff over a backing track.

I'm just learning a couple of the guitar licks for now, as I prefer to build up my muscle memory so I don't have to consciously think when I need a route to get from one part of the fretboard to the other.

Simon Park and @ssinine like this.
  7. Poseidon

Poseidon Mad Butcher

Isn't that what you wanted to avoid?

Simon Park likes this.
  8. Felix

Felix Addicted to Grunge

I see what you mean, but by mixing different licks together, it will have a musical/melodic element to it, rather than sounding like I'm running scales from top to bottom etc etc.

Simon Park likes this.
  9. Poseidon

Poseidon Mad Butcher

There's a nice demonstration of the differences in approaches starting at 9:57.
    But the whole video is also worth a watch.

Simon Park, Felix and @ssinine like this.
  10. ElectricSaga

ElectricSaga Bearded person

My advice to you @Felix is to relax, use your ear, listen to the music and play what you feel. Music theory is there to help you realize your vision. Instead of trying to find places where your memorized scales can fit, use your knowledge of scales to play the music in your head. By all means, study all the scales and modes you want. Music theory is very important but even more important is to play with emotion.

Also, big realization number two: your knowledge of music theory tells you which notes you can safely play with which chords, but you can play them in any order you want! Just let loose and don't play scales, play music! Music theory will help you simplify your choice of what note to play next but it's up to you to string together notes and pauses in a musical way.

Eventually you'll develop your ear and your intuitive understanding of notes to sort of "sound" them in your head, you´ll find connections/overlaps between scales and it all will become semi automatic. In the meantime if you wanna start by memorizing other people's licks then do so, but making your own is much more fun!

Edit: for immediate blues try the "six-note blues" pentatonic scale.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017 at 4:35 PM
    Simon Park likes this.