Tried Windows 10 yet?

johnniegoat

Stop, don’t, come back.
installed on my samsung netbook. runs fine, after a little tweeking - the display drivers were shite

only problem is access to onedrive. if/ when they fix this, i'll be happy to put on my other machines

Lone Star

Theres tonnes of space on my laptop. I hate technology like this, its over my head and tbh ive adjusted to windows 8 anyway so its no crying shame if it has to stay

johnniegoat

Stop, don’t, come back.
W8 was fine; W8.1 was marginally better due to the right cllick option on the windows button

but neither were a problem or bad. it was just the media - esp the Apple friendly media - putting the boot in. it also didn't help, the success of W7 and even XP

from what i have seen so far, W10 looks pretty good. its just that onedrive issue and it will be great. the download is a pain in the bollox; the install is pretty swift

Strigidae

I like owls.
The number 9 is unlucky to the Chinese & that's a feckin big market for Microsoft so that's why there's no windows 9.

That's not confirmed at all. Some people mentioned that another company in Japan skipped their 9th version of a product of that reason and that Microsoft might do the same. However, there has also been theories about skipping 9 to distance themselves from Windows 8, a tactic they've practiced before. A third theory came from an alleged Microsoft dev. that claimed the code "if(version,startswith("windows 9")" that featured heavily in previous versions of Windows would cause problems with the name "Windows 9".

Regarding the "spying" of Windows 10 I'm not really bothered, I'm far more irritated with the hidden BitTorrent system that the App Store uses (I don't even want a fucking app store in my pc). It's been a long time since I realized that I'm nowhere near important enough for anyone to have use of that information. I'm currently waiting for the download hoping it will take a couple of months so the early adopters can beta test it some more.

Robstafarian

The Good and Wise Call Me “Rufus”
W8 was fine; W8.1 was marginally better due to the right cllick option on the windows button

but neither were a problem or bad. it was just the media - esp the Apple friendly media - putting the boot in. it also didn't help, the success of W7 and even XP
In my experience, Windows 8 sucked badly enough that I would have hated it in a vacuum. It took "designed by committee" to a truly insane level: the mishmash of broken paradigms was like being forced to work from a textbook written by a schizophrenic who did not have an editor. Of course, I realize that I tend to work with my computer quite differently than others do with theirs.

Robstafarian

Regarding the "spying" of Windows 10 I'm not really bothered [...] It's been a long time since I realized that I'm nowhere near important enough for anyone to have use of that information.
What has personal importance to do with the fact that a company presumes to sell data you generated without paying you anything? What has personal importance to do with the fact that such data generation is part of your computer's operating system, thus it would continue (without distribution) even without an Internet connection? Some people have said that such shenanigans are fine because the upgrade is free, but they seem to have forgotten that this also exists in paid copies. If Windows 8.1 is any indicator, the retail license of Windows 10 Pro will cost $200: the same price as an Intel Core i5 4590. Would you be fine with your CPU generating and distributing such data?

I have no problem with people disagreeing with me: I just want to be sure they understand the issue (the recent Reddit moderator protest is a great model, but that is a tangent too far).

Lone Star

Sorry to change the tone but my laptop got it downloaded. Can't load Google Chrome but I don't care. As long as I can access the Internet somehow.

This means my plans to join the IS brotherhood in Syria remain intact. Just as long as MI6 don't read this post

M3AK

Fretboard Shogun
Sorry to change the tone but my laptop got it downloaded. Can't load Google Chrome but I don't care. As long as I can access the Internet somehow.

This means my plans to join the IS brotherhood in Syria remain intact. Just as long as MI6 don't read this post
Next Daily Mail headline: ISIS USING GUITAR FORUMS FOR RECRUITMENT!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

bad alice

Easily distracted and...OHLOOKAGUITAR!!!
Could someone let me know if the rumours I've heard about Windows 10 not allowing the user to play DVDs (due to the rather unceremonious dumping of Windows Media Centre) is true? And, if it is, whether there is a free/straightforward way around that?
My husband loves military history and currently enjoys playing relevant DVDs on his PC. He has Windows 8.1 just now which plays DVDs just fine and I suspect he would be super pissed if he couldn't do that because of a system upgrade!
Any thoughts guys?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Robstafarian

Could someone let me know if the rumours I've heard about Windows 10 not allowing the user to play DVDs (due to the rather unceremonious dumping of Windows Media Centre) is true? And, if it is, whether there is a free/straightforward way around that?
My husband loves military history and currently enjoys playing relevant DVDs on his PC. He has Windows 8.1 just now which plays DVDs just fine and I suspect he would be super pissed if he couldn't do that because of a system upgrade!
Any thoughts guys?
VLC should do the job.

Strigidae

I like owls.
What has personal importance to do with the fact that a company presumes to sell data you generated without paying you anything? What has personal importance to do with the fact that such data generation is part of your computer's operating system, thus it would continue (without distribution) even without an Internet connection? Some people have said that such shenanigans are fine because the upgrade is free, but they seem to have forgotten that this also exists in paid copies. If Windows 8.1 is any indicator, the retail license of Windows 10 Pro will cost $200: the same price as an Intel Core i5 4590. Would you be fine with your CPU generating and distributing such data?

I have no problem with people disagreeing with me: I just want to be sure they understand the issue (the recent Reddit moderator protest is a great model, but that is a tangent too far).

Personal importance matters because I got to be plenty full of myself to believe that MY data will be used in any other way than just storage. So what if they sell it for market research? Facebook, Netflix, HBO, iTunes etc. has been doing it for years and I haven't noticed it in any way whatsoever. I don't even get the personalized ads since I use Adblock and even if I didn't have that software I'd rather have personalized ads.

Keep the tin foil hat, man. I respect your opinion in the matter but the fact is that if you skip Windows 10 because of data tracking there's still hundreds of other sites and services that track you as we speak, four of which is on this forum alone.

Robstafarian

Personal importance matters because I got to be plenty full of myself to believe that MY data will be used in any other way than just storage. So what if they sell it for market research? Facebook, Netflix, HBO, iTunes etc. has been doing it for years and I haven't noticed it in any way whatsoever. I don't even get the personalized ads since I use Adblock and even if I didn't have that software I'd rather have personalized ads.

Keep the tin foil hat, man. I respect your opinion in the matter but the fact is that if you skip Windows 10 because of data tracking there's still hundreds of other sites and services that track you as we speak, four of which is on this forum alone.
  1. Facebook Connect
  2. Google Adsense
  3. Google Analytics
  4. Twitter Button
Blocking them all, thanks.

Shove that tin foil hat up your ass, fucktard. I live in poverty and need every fucking cent.

Steve91

Wannabe Superheroine.
  1. Facebook Connect
  2. Google Adsense
  3. Google Analytics
  4. Twitter Button
Blocking them all, thanks.

Shove that tin foil hat up your ass, fucktard. I live in poverty and need every fucking cent.
Well that's fucking harsh.

If you're that paranoid about data tracking then the internet is not for you.

Also, how does data tracking take money off you?

Robstafarian

Well that's fucking harsh.

If you're that paranoid about data tracking then the internet is not for you.

Also, how does data tracking take money off you?
The tracking itself does not take money off me, per se. However, the fact that I do not get a percentage of the sale of the data I generated takes money off of me.

It is possible to use the Internet without allowing yourself to be tracked constantly, and your use of the word "paranoia" is misplaced as the data tracking I have discussed actually occurs (as you acknowledged). It saddens me that such insults have been hurled at me because I do not think advertising on the Internet should violate my privacy any more than advertising on broadcast television does, though I suppose that I may have incurred those insults because I put said opinion into practice.

What I wrote was harsh yes, but no less harsh than playing the "tin foil hat" card against an intelligent person who chooses to exercise his control over his own equipment to mitigate manifest efforts with which he disagrees.

Strigidae

I like owls.
The tracking itself does not take money off me, per se. However, the fact that I do not get a percentage of the sale of the data I generated takes money off of me.

It is possible to use the Internet without allowing yourself to be tracked constantly, and your use of the word "paranoia" is misplaced as the data tracking I have discussed actually occurs (as you acknowledged). It saddens me that such insults have been hurled at me because I do not think advertising on the Internet should violate my privacy any more than advertising on broadcast television does, though I suppose that I may have incurred those insults because I put said opinion into practice.

What I wrote was harsh yes, but no less harsh than playing the "tin foil hat" card against an intelligent person who chooses to exercise his control over his own equipment to mitigate manifest efforts with which he disagrees.

I did not appreciate the condescending tone in "Well you just don't understand the issue", is that your method of having an "intelligent" discussion? Get off your high horse. Did it ever occur to you that I don't see it as an issue? Did you spend years before the Internet living by the revenue you got from selling information about yourself and your shopping patterns? If not you didn't lose any income when the tracking started either, why? Because no one is interested in the individual, that data is completely useless. It becomes valuable when it covers enough to become statistics.

Trying to sell me on the "issue" the same as handing me a tin foil hat, hence the analogy of "keep it". Not everyone is constantly out to offend you. Oh, and do you buy anything ever? Because that means you're a part of that stores statistics on what sells, which is part of the distributors statistic on what to buy, which is a part of the manufacturers statistic on what to make. Are you going to demand that damn rebate as your percentage?