Thoughts on volume pot replacement on brand new ibanez

Discussion in 'Gear' started by AM80, Jan 12, 2018.

Tags:
  1. AM80

AM80 New Member

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and was hoping in my first post I could gather some wise opinions on something.

Today I just took delivery of perhaps my dream guitar, an ibanez prestige RG652ahm. It's an absolutely stunning piece of kit and all is perfect with it....except one little thing, the volume and tone pots.

Now, it might just be me being helluva picky, as this is the most I've ever spent on a guitar, and I've wanted an ibanez prestige for so long. But the pots just feel bad, they have almost no resistance, and don't feel very smooth when turned. Problem is the guitar is quite hard to get hold of, so mail ordered it and would have to post it back for them to have a look at, also the pots technically work fine, no scratchiness etc, so probably can't really get them replaced on warranty anyway.

I guess my question is, am I just being a massive picky bastard, or should I consider getting them replaced by my local guitar tech? and if so what does this mean for my warranty??

2. SemiCullen

SemiCullen Active Member

If they're working correctly, I agree that they probably won't do anything on warranty. However, if you're not happy with them, you very likely won't ever really be happy with them.

Do you know how to solder? If you do the work yourself it's a pretty inexpensive change, really.

3. AM80

AM80 New Member

This is kinda what I'm thinking, I feel like it's going to bug me, my soldering skills aren't great so not sure about doing it myself on such a new guitar...

4. Wade Garrett

Wade Garrett I am the projectionist.

You could always take it to a tech to swap the pots.

5. Coolidge

Coolidge Well-Known Member

Nonsense here now you are an expert...

1. When soldering you want to punch it right in the face with heat wham! Solder the component fast then quickly pull the iron off. If you have to hold the iron on for too long you will cooked the component.

2. The trick to punching it in the face with heat fast, clean your soldering iron on a wet sponge before each soldering attempt get the old solder and crud wiped off, then apply a little glob of fresh solder, very important. This glob of fresh solder is the conduit through which heat transfers much quicker vs say just a tinned soldering iron.

Now go forth and kick soldering in the groin!

6. DrHankWanfordSnr

DrHankWanfordSnr That's not new, its always been there.

Take it to a shop if you've never soldered before. Or ask in a shop for a tech or similar who does repairs to do it. It won't cost alot.
    Nicer pots are available, and as you've spent over a grand on the axe - buy some good ones. And a more photogenic cap.

Robstafarian likes this.
  7. AM80

AM80 New Member

Thanks for the advice folks, I fully appreciate Coolridge's punching based approach to soldering, although last time I did some soldering on my old Jackson, whilst it worked, it weren't pretty, probably needed to punch it harder.

Having slept on it, at the moment I'm thinking of giving myself a couple weeks, I'm worried I just have some kind of new expensive guitar mist of perfection fogging my judgement. Or that the pots just need a bit of time?? if that's a thing...(never had that with any other guitar, although only owned "from new" a couple).

SemiCullen likes this.
  8. Coolidge

9. Chu

Chu Well-Known Member

When I first got my USA PRS, I was surprised by how loose the pots felt. Practically no resistance at all and i didn't like them one bit. Guess what? I've since changed the pots in my cheaper guitars to low friction pots as grew to like them so much. Unless it's broken, give them some time before you do anything.

10. AM80

AM80 New Member

Having peaked in the back looks like the pots are actually alpha pots, not sure which ones, I have alphas in another guitar and they feel quite different. Might still give them a bit of time but from what I can gather alpha pots aren't the best around.

11. Robstafarian

Robstafarian The Good and Wise Call Me “Rufus”

Pots with long bushings do not suit pickguard-mounted controls. Furthermore, electronic component vendors often sell guitar pots at lower prices than guitar-oriented vendors: I use DigiKey.

To the OP:
    I recommend giving yourself a week or two to adjust to the pots. If you still do not like them after that, then get them replaced by a tech.

everfreetree likes this.
  12. Coolidge

Agree on not replacing the pots unless the OP just can't live with them. I have never found the need to upgrade a guitar to PEC pots, ever. And they are hosing people on the price typically PEC pots are $7 to $12 not $44 goddamn. But here's the shorter PEC for pickguard mounted controls. https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/potentiometer-pec-guitar-audio-split-shaft

everfreetree and Robstafarian like this.
  13. mirage2101

mirage2101 Active Member

If your dislike of the pots persists, replace them.
    Or at least take the guitar to a reputable tech and talk with him about the problem. My "go to guy" tends to come up with solutions for problems that I hadn't thought of.

As for DIY or tech.
    Go to the tech.. I used to solder a lot and while it isn't hard it does take practice. Especially smaller parts can be damaged if you overheat them. But even if you're great with soldering electronics, that guy is working on guitars day in day out. He knows how to treat stuff AND if he breaks it, it's his problem to fix.
    When I had the tuners on my fender replaced the work was just 30 euro.. For that kinda money I'm not going to muck about myself.
    (Maybe in the future I'll get a build it yourself package just to learn this stuff but i'm not taking the risk on my babies)

14. AM80

AM80 New Member

Thanks again for all your opinions, I'm going to take the "give it a chance route" and see how I feel in a week or two. I found the perfect description of how they feel, which is like lightly dragging your finger over card, not rough, just not smooth and slightly scrapey, but with very little resistance.

Interestingly, after doing some more internet searching, trying to google my exact issue with the pots (difficult to put into words sometimes) I found an old(ish) post on the jemsite forum which described the exact feeling I had about them, low and behold when I look at the title, it was about this exact guitar (even though I didn't put the guitar name or make into the search). I even noted that according to my QC card in the case, my guitar must of been made at about the same time, so probably the same or close to batch. This means either the pots are meant to be like this and this guy didn't like them also, or its a bad batch of pots....It sounded like the other poster was going to replace them, but never said for definite.

It kinda reminded me of this :)
    https://xkcd.com/979/

Robstafarian likes this.
  15. Robstafarian

Robstafarian The Good and Wise Call Me “Rufus”