Thoughts on Gear and GAS

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
New concept in thoughts on gear, mostly on how my brain works.

As you know, I worked in a guitar store for years and am still active in MI today. In the store, I sold loads of Palmer stuff, including their pedalboards. I'm shopping for boards now, and the Palmer Pedalbays also crossed my mind. I was set to order one, untill I saw Harley Benton and Fame are also selling the exact same thing for less money. After some more research I found even more very cheap versions of the exact same, but rebranded board. This now makes me doubt the quality and durability of these boards.

I am currently driving myself insane about which pedalboard to buy. I wanted to keep it on a tight budget, but now I'm also thinking a Hardcase of some sort would be better for durability and to protect my pedals as I chuck them in the correct almost weekly and am planning to gig this year. That however drives the cost up a lot. Palmer Pedalboard is about €69. Rockboard with ABS Case is €189.

Neilybob100

New concept in thoughts on gear, mostly on how my brain works.

As you know, I worked in a guitar store for years and am still active in MI today. In the store, I sold loads of Palmer stuff, including their pedalboards. I'm shopping for boards now, and the Palmer Pedalbays also crossed my mind. I was set to order one, untill I saw Harley Benton and Fame are also selling the exact same thing for less money. After some more research I found even more very cheap versions of the exact same, but rebranded board. This now makes me doubt the quality and durability of these boards.

I am currently driving myself insane about which pedalboard to buy. I wanted to keep it on a tight budget, but now I'm also thinking a Hardcase of some sort would be better for durability and to protect my pedals as I chuck them in the correct almost weekly and am planning to gig this year. That however drives the cost up a lot. Palmer Pedalboard is about €69. Rockboard with ABS Case is €189.
Have you considered an Ikea/ DIY board?

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

Neilybob100

I'm kinda thinking we all need a challenge/goal to focus to redirect our GAS energy as a collective. Maybe some kind of forum online jam. For example playing blues, we each submitted a video/sound clip and we all comment with positive thought.

What ya think?

mirage2101

I'm kinda thinking we all need a challenge/goal to focus to redirect our GAS energy as a collective. Maybe some kind of forum online jam. For example playing blues, we each submitted a video/sound clip and we all comment with positive thought.

What ya think?

good idea! If I could just get the flow right in the €;€/?;@5€;8 backing track I suggested myself..

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
Oh man...last Friday was my second practice with the band since getting rid of the HX Effects and getting single pedals. I had some new additions to the board, including a TC Electronic Flashback 2 and an TC Electronic Spark Booster, the big one. These two were the missing links and moving back to single pedals is such a joy. I could experiment, try different things easily.

The Flashback 2 has a Crystal Delay which is like a shimmer. It's amazing! I was thinking of getting a chorus, but didn't feel like spending the money for just one song. I loaded the Tri-Chorus Toneprint into one of the slots. Problem solved! Amazing sound! I ended up using 4 different sounds out of the Flashback and still had use for my Carbon Copy as well. The Crystal Delay freed up my HOF mini, which I was using for something similar. I loaded the Devin Townsend toneprint in there, and had it on almost all of the time. Great stuff. The Spark was great for just a little bit extra grit.

I am glad I did the whole HX Effects thing. It made me realize what effects I actually use. But the decision to move back to pedals is one of the best I've ever made.

ed lespaul

I had a weird epiphany about gear and gas this weekend. I tend to get almost obsessed with finding a good deal on some piece of gear that I want. I constantly look at different sites for that piece of gear. Last week, into the early weekend, spending way too much time looking for a Kramer Baretta 85 reissue. I have an 84 reissue, and it has become my main guitar since I bought it. I was almost to the point of manic, looking for one at a good price.

That all ended early Sunday morning. I saw an ad for a Mesa Triple Rectifier for $500. Being the idiot that I am, I contacted a friend of mine, who I knew was looking for one to replace the one he had to sell a few years back. I would have contacted the seller and jumped in my car to get it myself.
He told me he was going in that area. I felt like the good friend, setting my friend up with a deal of the century.

A few hours later, the head was sold. I asked him, and he told me that he never contacted the seller. FFS, I wish he told me he wasn't interested, and I would have jumped on it, and flipped it.

It sucked, but the entire experience broke all thoughts about the Kramer Baretta. I realized it was more about finding the deal than the guitar itself.

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
I kind of see where you're coming from. Whenever I want new gear I try to find the best deal. Working in MI, I do have some contacts that can get me discounts, sometimes even at cost price, but that's limited to just a handful of brands.

ThePriseInferno

NO. NO DJENT. EVER.
So, I'm convinced that my next guitar-related gear purchase is either going to be a previous-gen Axe FX (probably an AxeFX II) or some iteration of the Helix.

Some of you may remember that I previously I had a full-on custom-built pedalboard with a whack-ton of bells-and-whistles, going into a Jet City JCA22H half stack. Prior to that, I was primarily playing using amp sims on my computer, and then a Pod HD500. Nowadays, I'm using the four-cable method with a Laney IRT Studio and a Pod HD Pro X, and realistically I just... don't need as many of the bells-and-whistles that I previously thought I did.

My go-to rig is pretty simple: A super-clean sound, sometimes with delay, reverb, and chorus, a pushed sound using a tube screamer, and a crunch sound with a tube screamer (again, sometimes with delay, reverb, and chorus). All of this can be attained very easily using a few pedals and a good amp.

That said... sometimes I *want* to be able to play with all of the toys in the chest. Sometimes I want different-sounding amps, sometimes I want an off-the-wall bit crusher-type sound, or a ridiculous buzzsaw-off-your-face fuzz, or even... heaven forbid... a wah.

On top of all of that, I want it to sound *good*. And the Axe II and Helix check all of boxes, while also being simple enough to operate that I don't need to tap-dance my way around. Heck, I could likely forego a tube preamp entirely and just run one of the above units into a super-clean power amp and get the best of all worlds, including a signal sans-cab-emulation to FOH.

That said... back when I was using a pedalboard, I was buying and selling pedals all the time. Since purchasing the Pod HD Pro X and the IRT Studio 2.5 years ago I've bought zero amp/effect-related gear, and it's because what I have is 'good enough' for my fairly mediocre standards, with the exception of some esoteric effects that the HD Pro X can't emulate (a bit crusher, for instance).

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
Ha, there I was, thinking I was going to start building up a pedal collection again. I thought I would just save the pedals I wasn't using and if needed I could grab them for recording etc. I bought a Spark Booster because reasons. Then I bought a Way Huge Saucy Box because Devin Townsend. Turn out the Saucy Box does everything the Spark was doing for me better and then some. For 1 day I thought, well then the Spark will just move off the board and be saved. Another day later it was sold. Ha! I guess collecting is not for me. Practicality is more for me.

The only pedal I did save, that did not make the board is my DOD Gonkulator, but I am hoping it will increase in value some day and become a collector's thing.

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
I have this rule where I at least try to stay away from my savings money when buying gear. So in order to finance gear I either try to make deals or I have to sell stuff. I really want to get the new Jim Root Jazzmaster. I've been waiting on that guitar for 10 years and it's finally out. I've been GASsing on the Devin Townsend guitar and some other stuff, but I realised I will always keep wanting this guitar, so I might as well get it. It's almost €1300,- though. So I've been thinking of what to sell in order to finance this.

I have a few pedals that went up in value that I can sell. I am also selling my Ibanez Parlor Acoustic. I just don't use it. When recording I used the bass player's acoustic, which is a dreadnaught and sounded better for that purpose. We did one acoustic gig which was cool, but I don't plan to those and if we do, I can always borrow the bass player's guitar again.

I am currently also considering selling my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe III, upgrade with a Celestion Neo Creamback. My pedalboard is built so I can plug it in any clean amp or FX return or power amp and get my sound. I'm only lugging the Hot Rod around to have a more consistent sound. In reality, it's way too loud for the practice space and I can really get it to sound right because I have to keep the volume down. I think it's going. I will use the amp from the practice space for the time being and rely on the house backline, which is usually some sort of Fender anway for my gigs.

For the future, I'm considering then getting a lightweight 2x12 with something like a Seymour Duncan Powerstage or Orange Pedalbaby. I am looking for them to at least try out to know if that will work. I think it should.

Chu

Something annoys me about gear of late; the connoisseurs. It probably began as an interest, grew into a passion and then boiled over. And it takes the fun away for me.

For example, I recall reading about the abhorrence of Fishman Fluence pickups. If you don't know, instead of wire wound around rods, they're printed circuitry achieving the same. If they inspire just one person to create a good song, they've made our world the tiniest bit better. I'd rather save words such as 'abhorrent' for things other than a decent sounding, reliable pickup.....

Every past-time seems to attract the types; I remember trying golf when I was younger. I very much enjoyed drinking a few cans of beer with friends as we twatted balls around in the countryside but soon enough people were telling us we had to play somewhere better, wear the right type of shoes, t-shirts, expensive sticks..... I just wanted to hang out with my mates and have fun.

Or wine connoisseurs that spout on about the fruity nose and undertones...... It's just a drink, it's really not that important.

It's fine to get caught up in gear but it shouldn't spill over into being more important than what you do with it.

Garythesnail

......... I very much enjoyed drinking a few cans of beer with friends as we twatted balls around in the countryside .........
Cracking description.

This is the type of thing we should be focussing on as we live our lives. Be it hitting balls with a stick, spending fun-time with your grandkids, taking an interest in "classic" (broken) cars or plucking steel strings tied to a plank of wood.

We can put up with the rest of it as long as we get just enough of the good bits.

Last edited:

Wade Garrett

I am the projectionist.
Something annoys me about gear of late; the connoisseurs. It probably began as an interest, grew into a passion and then boiled over. And it takes the fun away for me.

For example, I recall reading about the abhorrence of Fishman Fluence pickups. If you don't know, instead of wire wound around rods, they're printed circuitry achieving the same. If they inspire just one person to create a good song, they've made our world the tiniest bit better. I'd rather save words such as 'abhorrent' for things other than a decent sounding, reliable pickup.....

Every past-time seems to attract the types; I remember trying golf when I was younger. I very much enjoyed drinking a few cans of beer with friends as we twatted balls around in the countryside but soon enough people were telling us we had to play somewhere better, wear the right type of shoes, t-shirts, expensive sticks..... I just wanted to hang out with my mates and have fun.

Or wine connoisseurs that spout on about the fruity nose and undertones...... It's just a drink, it's really not that important.

It's fine to get caught up in gear but it shouldn't spill over into being more important than what you do with it.
I'm totally with you on this. That's one of the cool things about this forum, we can appreciate expensive and cheap gear, there's no cork sniffing just enjoyment.