Thoughts on Gear and GAS

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
New concept in thoughts on gear, mostly on how my brain works.

As you know, I worked in a guitar store for years and am still active in MI today. In the store, I sold loads of Palmer stuff, including their pedalboards. I'm shopping for boards now, and the Palmer Pedalbays also crossed my mind. I was set to order one, untill I saw Harley Benton and Fame are also selling the exact same thing for less money. After some more research I found even more very cheap versions of the exact same, but rebranded board. This now makes me doubt the quality and durability of these boards.

I am currently driving myself insane about which pedalboard to buy. I wanted to keep it on a tight budget, but now I'm also thinking a Hardcase of some sort would be better for durability and to protect my pedals as I chuck them in the correct almost weekly and am planning to gig this year. That however drives the cost up a lot. Palmer Pedalboard is about €69. Rockboard with ABS Case is €189.

Neilybob100

New concept in thoughts on gear, mostly on how my brain works.

As you know, I worked in a guitar store for years and am still active in MI today. In the store, I sold loads of Palmer stuff, including their pedalboards. I'm shopping for boards now, and the Palmer Pedalbays also crossed my mind. I was set to order one, untill I saw Harley Benton and Fame are also selling the exact same thing for less money. After some more research I found even more very cheap versions of the exact same, but rebranded board. This now makes me doubt the quality and durability of these boards.

I am currently driving myself insane about which pedalboard to buy. I wanted to keep it on a tight budget, but now I'm also thinking a Hardcase of some sort would be better for durability and to protect my pedals as I chuck them in the correct almost weekly and am planning to gig this year. That however drives the cost up a lot. Palmer Pedalboard is about €69. Rockboard with ABS Case is €189.
Have you considered an Ikea/ DIY board?

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

Neilybob100

I'm kinda thinking we all need a challenge/goal to focus to redirect our GAS energy as a collective. Maybe some kind of forum online jam. For example playing blues, we each submitted a video/sound clip and we all comment with positive thought.

What ya think?

mirage2101

I'm kinda thinking we all need a challenge/goal to focus to redirect our GAS energy as a collective. Maybe some kind of forum online jam. For example playing blues, we each submitted a video/sound clip and we all comment with positive thought.

What ya think?

good idea! If I could just get the flow right in the €;€/?;@5€;8 backing track I suggested myself..

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
Oh man...last Friday was my second practice with the band since getting rid of the HX Effects and getting single pedals. I had some new additions to the board, including a TC Electronic Flashback 2 and an TC Electronic Spark Booster, the big one. These two were the missing links and moving back to single pedals is such a joy. I could experiment, try different things easily.

The Flashback 2 has a Crystal Delay which is like a shimmer. It's amazing! I was thinking of getting a chorus, but didn't feel like spending the money for just one song. I loaded the Tri-Chorus Toneprint into one of the slots. Problem solved! Amazing sound! I ended up using 4 different sounds out of the Flashback and still had use for my Carbon Copy as well. The Crystal Delay freed up my HOF mini, which I was using for something similar. I loaded the Devin Townsend toneprint in there, and had it on almost all of the time. Great stuff. The Spark was great for just a little bit extra grit.

I am glad I did the whole HX Effects thing. It made me realize what effects I actually use. But the decision to move back to pedals is one of the best I've ever made.

ed lespaul

I had a weird epiphany about gear and gas this weekend. I tend to get almost obsessed with finding a good deal on some piece of gear that I want. I constantly look at different sites for that piece of gear. Last week, into the early weekend, spending way too much time looking for a Kramer Baretta 85 reissue. I have an 84 reissue, and it has become my main guitar since I bought it. I was almost to the point of manic, looking for one at a good price.

That all ended early Sunday morning. I saw an ad for a Mesa Triple Rectifier for $500. Being the idiot that I am, I contacted a friend of mine, who I knew was looking for one to replace the one he had to sell a few years back. I would have contacted the seller and jumped in my car to get it myself.
He told me he was going in that area. I felt like the good friend, setting my friend up with a deal of the century.

A few hours later, the head was sold. I asked him, and he told me that he never contacted the seller. FFS, I wish he told me he wasn't interested, and I would have jumped on it, and flipped it.

It sucked, but the entire experience broke all thoughts about the Kramer Baretta. I realized it was more about finding the deal than the guitar itself.

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
I kind of see where you're coming from. Whenever I want new gear I try to find the best deal. Working in MI, I do have some contacts that can get me discounts, sometimes even at cost price, but that's limited to just a handful of brands.

ThePriseInferno

NO. NO DJENT. EVER.
So, I'm convinced that my next guitar-related gear purchase is either going to be a previous-gen Axe FX (probably an AxeFX II) or some iteration of the Helix.

Some of you may remember that I previously I had a full-on custom-built pedalboard with a whack-ton of bells-and-whistles, going into a Jet City JCA22H half stack. Prior to that, I was primarily playing using amp sims on my computer, and then a Pod HD500. Nowadays, I'm using the four-cable method with a Laney IRT Studio and a Pod HD Pro X, and realistically I just... don't need as many of the bells-and-whistles that I previously thought I did.

My go-to rig is pretty simple: A super-clean sound, sometimes with delay, reverb, and chorus, a pushed sound using a tube screamer, and a crunch sound with a tube screamer (again, sometimes with delay, reverb, and chorus). All of this can be attained very easily using a few pedals and a good amp.

That said... sometimes I *want* to be able to play with all of the toys in the chest. Sometimes I want different-sounding amps, sometimes I want an off-the-wall bit crusher-type sound, or a ridiculous buzzsaw-off-your-face fuzz, or even... heaven forbid... a wah.

On top of all of that, I want it to sound *good*. And the Axe II and Helix check all of boxes, while also being simple enough to operate that I don't need to tap-dance my way around. Heck, I could likely forego a tube preamp entirely and just run one of the above units into a super-clean power amp and get the best of all worlds, including a signal sans-cab-emulation to FOH.

That said... back when I was using a pedalboard, I was buying and selling pedals all the time. Since purchasing the Pod HD Pro X and the IRT Studio 2.5 years ago I've bought zero amp/effect-related gear, and it's because what I have is 'good enough' for my fairly mediocre standards, with the exception of some esoteric effects that the HD Pro X can't emulate (a bit crusher, for instance).