Thoughts on Gear and GAS

Felix

Addicted to Grunge
With a bit of luck this weekend, I will be able to pay off the outstanding balance on the Fender MIJ FSR 60's vintage Strat in midnight. This is the first time I am getting really excited about buying a vintage config Strat. Typically I like the post '87 USA Strat's with the twin post trem system and steel/titanium bridge saddles. I have been looking at getting something after this Strat, which is going to be either a Rudolf Schenker Gibson flying v, as I think these guitars are so beautiful and it's the '68 Flying V, which is my favorite layout. The other option for me would be either the cherry burst Les Paul Custom (really different to a '59 cherry burst) or a wine red Les Paul Custom. Ideally a mid 80's to late 90's built Custom, before they were only made in the custom shop production line.

What's been very different for me with me getting this Strat, is I'm not having to give up my main guitar to fund it. I've never felt so attached to a guitar as I have to my modded LP Classic Custom. Having two black and gold guitars, either side of my Silver Jubilee. Then having a Rudolf Schenker Flying V hanging behind it all, will make for one hell of a instagram pic. Because I have been going over loads of guitar online, with the intention of buying, I have realised that I still have a massive weak spot for the LP Customs and I blame Trodligy' guitar show. Some of the 80's and 90's LP Custom he shown have made me instantly go onto Reverb or eBay to hunt one down.

I'm thinking once my folks and I have moved to house we're after, I will maybe get a couple of guitars next year, as I've been really restrained at getting gear for the last few years. I think because I'm not tone chasing, will be more about getting a guitar that makes me want to pick it up and play right away.

Garythesnail

will make for one hell of a instagram pic
perfectly 'healthy' as long as that's just a side effect, not part, of the reason for purchasing*

*hypocritical comment given that I have suffered a compulsion to occasionally buy multiple low-cost, high-quality** cars of certain type.

** for high-quality, read 'broken' . . . and if not already broken, I tend to keep trying to fix them until they are.

Felix

Addicted to Grunge
perfectly 'healthy' as long as that's just a side effect, not part, of the reason for purchasing*

*hypocritical comment given that I have suffered a compulsion to occasionally buy multiple low-cost, high-quality** cars of certain type.

** for high-quality, read 'broken' . . . and if not already broken, I tend to keep trying to fix them until they are.
I don't even have an instagram account lol!

It was by sheer fluke that I saw my buddies FSR Strat for sale on eBay (didn't realise it was his eBay account). I have a thing for Fender Strat's with a matching painted headstock and especially with black guitars. I owned a '95 American Standard 40th anniversary Strat in candy apple red a few years ago. It had the TBX tone pot found in the Strat Plus and looked stunning. I had a Strat Plus Deluxe at the time and I stupidly let both go over the next 6+ months.

I always love a black and gold hardware combo guitar, it's why I adore the Les Paul Custom models and when I got my 2011 Les Paul Classic Custom, I changed the hardware from chrome to gold and put in the 490/498 humbucker combo that the current full fat LP Custom's had, with gold covers on them. I had never seen this on a Strat before and with it having a rosewood fingerboard (a nice dark piece) , the guitar looks awesome. With it being a 60's neck with the rod adjustment on the heel of the neck, the profile by the nut just makes it look sleek.

I have had a thing about not liking it when I have an instrument not being used, as I think how badly I would have loved to have a decent guitar to learn on in my first year of playing. Now what I plan to do, is just hang the guitars on the walls and have them double as art for my rooms. Because I have a thing for very visually appealing guitars, means I would get a lot of enjoyment out of it, even if it's not being played.

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
I had a very clear idea going into the first band practice in 6 weeks last friday. I'm bringing the custom tele with the filtertron and tv jones tele neck pickups. I'm bringen a Mesa Throttle Box Distortion, because it should fit our genre better. I was going to abuse the single coil Tom Morello and Mike Einziger style.

I spent half the night tweaking the Mesa pedal. In the end I got a good sound out of it but had to sacrifice my clean tone. With my Wampler Catapulp, I can just dial in a great clean tone and adjust the pedal to it. Mesa is going. Wampler is staying. I tried using the single coil, but it just wouldn't work. It was too boomy and undefined. I ended up rocking the filtertron in the bridge.

What really stunned me was my bandmates who always complain about wanting the sound to be more vintagey started asking for to bring back the purple strat with the modern sound, because that worked better. Jesus Christ....

Fine! So I've started a thread where I want your advice and input on how to revive this guitar. Let's keep trying. I was so frustrated over the weekend that I almost sold my entire pedalboard and start over. I decided against doing that and I'm going to keep tweaking my guitars until I find the sweet spot.

I have to say that I still wish I could just get a good head and cab and plug straight in, with just a delay in a loop, but our music has evolved in a way where the effects really do take our songs to a higher level.

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
I'm still flipflopping between the HX Effects or going back to some single effects.

The good thing about the HX is it has given me a clear overview of the effects I actually use. The bad thing is, it makes me feel like the HX is overkill and that I should just buy those effects as single stompboxes.

Outisde of the HX I use a Mini Crybaby, a D'Addario tuner and my Wampler Catapulp. All I would really need to add is a Phase 90 and a delay. The delay should be preferably a programmable one so I can at least still get the shimmer, analog and digital delay sounds. I could then also program something that can simulate a chorus and I'm good to go.

Or I can just keep the HX and stop moaning.

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
Or you could do that.

I'm missing the drive effects of the hx effects...
I sometimes use the Minotaur drive, but to be honest, I usually don't touch the entire drive section. It's mostly modulation, delays and reverbs for me. I have a noise gate that's always on when my Catapulp is engaged through the effects loop. I also sometimes have a compressor on certain clean bits, but I usually prefer it off. I also use the whammy for 1 octave up with an expression pedal for one song, but that's not a necessity. On the recording, I just played it one octave higher, because we didn't have a whammy handy.

mirage2101

I sometimes use the Minotaur drive, but to be honest, I usually don't touch the entire drive section. It's mostly modulation, delays and reverbs for me. I have a noise gate that's always on when my Catapulp is engaged through the effects loop. I also sometimes have a compressor on certain clean bits, but I usually prefer it off. I also use the whammy for 1 octave up with an expression pedal for one song, but that's not a necessity. On the recording, I just played it one octave higher, because we didn't have a whammy handy.
Well if you decide to get rid of it let me know. All my mod and delay stuff is great in the kemper. I still have my evolution but I miss having all the options.

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
Well if you decide to get rid of it let me know. All my mod and delay stuff is great in the kemper. I still have my evolution but I miss having all the options.
I will. I was all ready to play with the band tonight and dive deep into the HX to try to figure everything out again....and then I realised I had the wrong date written down. We are not playing tonight, but next week. So that will be another week of going back and forth between HX and single effects.

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
I played with the band last Friday, with the HX Effects. My idea was to tweak effects on the fly to try new stuff. Then I realized one of my favorite things to do is when I feel like a part could use something more, I just click something on, usually a phaser or a booster. These are things that I think of during songs and don't always do. Not all my presets have these effects programmed and I can't get down on one knee and program while playing.

The next day, I got a great deal on a Carbon Copy and Phase 90. I bought them. I think it's a sign. I'm going back to single effects. Let's be honest. The endless switching out of pedals on my boards causes some uneasiness, but in the end, that is what makes pedals so much fun. If you want something else or find something better, you just switch that one effect out. If something new comes out, you can try it and you have the freedom to fit it on your board somehow.

I've tried Nova System in the past and I've been using HX effects for over a year now. I also used a Helix for some studio work. Multi effects are cool and have their purpose. For me, I don't think I will be going back to them very soon. If my band ever starts touring, which will probably be never, and I would have to save space and shipping charges on gear, I would consider a Kemper Stage or Axe FX unit.

I also need to watch myself so I don't over complicate my rig again. I really need to keep it simple. Guitar, single humbucker with coil split, simple, small pedalboard and a pedal platform amp.

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
Decisions were made. The HX Effects was sold. New pedals were bought. I feel good about it.

While playing the T-Rex Quint Machine I bought i realized this was the right choice. The effects I chose inspire in a way the HX Effects couldn't. The ease of combining effects and changing settings helps with that. I haven't really written new songs or even riffs in a year. I plugged in my new pedals, and immediately started writing again. It really was inspiring.

New rule to live by. Gear stays as long as it brings joy and inspires. As soon as that stops, it's time for something new. With single effects, this is easier. With the HX, it would have been harder.

I must say, though. They HX really helped to clarify for me what kind of effects I actually use. I was able to choose the pedals for my new board very quickly, whereas a year ago I was so lost.

mirage2101

GAS is an anoying pita..
Even with the camplifier in, I mostly play the mesa boogie preset.
So.. my head says.. sell the kemper and fuchs.. and get that TC100 with build in attenuator!!
Even though that just opens up needing effects again and eventually wanting another amp.

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
GAS is an anoying pita..
Even with the camplifier in, I mostly play the mesa boogie preset.
So.. my head says.. sell the kemper and fuchs.. and get that TC100 with build in attenuator!!
Even though that just opens up needing effects again and eventually wanting another amp.
I do think that the TC100 will sound completely different from the Kemper profile at lower volumes, but if you have the possibility to try one, go for it!

It is the same thought I had with my HX though. I only use X amount of effects and always the same models, so I just bought the pedals that were modeled and got rid of the HX.

mirage2101

I do think that the TC100 will sound completely different from the Kemper profile at lower volumes, but if you have the possibility to try one, go for it!

It is the same thought I had with my HX though. I only use X amount of effects and always the same models, so I just bought the pedals that were modeled and got rid of the HX.
My biggest gripe with the kemper is that you're depending so much on the eq of the guy that made the profile. All the eq you can do is post and it doesn't always work out. I listed it for quite a steep price yesterday so I won't loose to much on it. funny enough playing the fuchs as a regular amp really brought me a lot of joy last night.
I recognize this all is just the feeling of wanting the hunt more then a matter of what I'll use or quality but it's hard to ignore the call.

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
My biggest gripe with the kemper is that you're depending so much on the eq of the guy that made the profile. All the eq you can do is post and it doesn't always work out. I listed it for quite a steep price yesterday so I won't loose to much on it. funny enough playing the fuchs as a regular amp really brought me a lot of joy last night.
I recognize this all is just the feeling of wanting the hunt more then a matter of what I'll use or quality but it's hard to ignore the call.
I can imagine the profiles are only as good as how the person made them. If that's not your taste, you're pretty much screwed. Can you not just return the power amp at least? That gives you more money than selling.

mirage2101

I can imagine the profiles are only as good as how the person made them. If that's not your taste, you're pretty much screwed. Can you not just return the power amp at least? That gives you more money than selling.
There's a lot of tweaking possible, and some profiles hit home pretty good.
Going through the power amp of the fuchs does give it a bit more spark though. And when I played the fuchs seperately the difference blew me away. There's more life and sparkle in it.
I think I'm getting to the conclusion that the kemper would be great for gigging. Profile your amp in the right setting and you're golden.

Yeah I mailed them they're pretty cool about it. The only downside is shipping costs so if I can sell the combination as a package I'm just as happy.

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
There's a lot of tweaking possible, and some profiles hit home pretty good.
Going through the power amp of the fuchs does give it a bit more spark though. And when I played the fuchs seperately the difference blew me away. There's more life and sparkle in it.
I think I'm getting to the conclusion that the kemper would be great for gigging. Profile your amp in the right setting and you're golden.

Yeah I mailed them they're pretty cool about it. The only downside is shipping costs so if I can sell the combination as a package I'm just as happy.
Yeah I get it. I always said that if I ever have to tour, which probably be never, I will most likely take a Kemper. Especially with the Kemper Stage, that would be awesome in terms of portability. Untill then, I will always try to use a tube amp if I can.