Thoughts on Gear and GAS

Chu

I also recently had a coil split installed. I don't like the split sound. It sucks. If I need single coils, I'll grab my Fender Strat or my Custom Tele.
I have coil splits on most of my guitars and never use them. They sound like weak humbuckers to my ears, never like a good single coil. If I'm playing live, I'll fudge it with a humbucker as no one can really hear much over the drums and bass anyway. In the studio, I'll just use a proper singlecoil.

I might also start calling them coil taps again just to annoy the pendants! ;)

mirage2101

I have the old Rage 158 from 2002. I won't get more than €20 for it. It's also my first amp ever. Perhaps some day my son will enjoy to practice guitar on.

I have considered this, but I currently don't have a desk anymore. I kind of got rid of my office to make space for the baby room. The other spare room is still half office/half guestroom, but that meant getting rid of the desk. 4CM is also something I don't feel like doing, so I will have to consider that. I've taken a look at Synergy, but I'm not feeling the options. If they have it in stock saturday, I will try it.
You could just get one and run the backing track mono. Or get one of those Bluetooth speakers. The modern ones pack quite a punch

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
I have coil splits on most of my guitars and never use them. They sound like weak humbuckers to my ears, never like a good single coil. If I'm playing live, I'll fudge it with a humbucker as no one can really hear much over the drums and bass anyway. In the studio, I'll just use a proper singlecoil.

I might also start calling them coil taps again just to annoy the pendants! ;)
That was exactly my problem. For recordings I have a Fender Classic 50's strat or my custom tele with single coils. I just wanted something for live, without having to bring another guitar.

You could just get one and run the backing track mono. Or get one of those Bluetooth speakers. The modern ones pack quite a punch
One of those bluetooth speakers has been on my wishlist for a while. I'll have a look at those as well.

Seeing as almost everything guitar tone every achieved that I really like was done using an EMG 81, I have decided to put one in my purple strat. In fact, I already have it. All I need now is a 25K pot with the solderless system, and I'm goog to go. Our studio guy did ask me to wait with the mod until we are done recording the EP, though, seeing as I have recorded half the EP with the current pickup. He wants to keep the sound consistent.

drittal

Nerd on the Prairie
I think one of the biggest issues with coil splits is they are mostly done on mild to moderate output Humbuckers which does yield a low output single.

I’ve heard good things about how PRS does Coil splits but haven’t tried one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
I think one of the biggest issues with coil splits is they are mostly done on mild to moderate output Humbuckers which does yield a low output single.

I’ve heard good things about how PRS does Coil splits but haven’t tried one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My pickup is a Bare Knuckle Holy Diver which fairly high output. I expected more.

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
I like the coil split on my Charvel (Duncan JB/59 combo), but I don't have any other single coil guitars to compare it against.
I used to have a Dimarzio Super Distortion in my Korean ML-1 that I no longer have. That split sound also sounded really good and usable. Same goes for the JB/59 set I used to have in my PRS Tremonti.

(just for fun facts: the ML-1 got traded for an Ibanez Chris Miller Model 1 which then got traded for a loop switcher and some pedals. The Tremonti is still here, but now has a EMG Het Set. I am going to try an 81-60 combo for it soon, see which I like best.)

SemiCullen

Still haven't got the hang of Thursdays
The Fishman Fluence pups are supposed to have a really good split coil, but I've not wired them up to try it out. I only have one guitar left with Fluence pups and there's not a lot of room to add a switch.

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
I went to Musik Produktiv last Saturday to check out some some I was interested in. My conclusions:

• An EMG for my purple strat is incoming. The Bare Knuckle Holy Diver is great, but the EMG just has that little extra push I like. It just worked for me. It's amazing. I always disliked Active pickups, but it seems this is the way to go for now. I will try it at least for a while.
  • I played a Kemper and hated it. They even had it set up with some profile packs other than the factory profiles. Still hated it. Surprisingly though, the feel was fine, but I disliked the sound. I thought it would be the other way around.
  • I tried some Synergy stuff. It was cool, but it had no mojo. It didn't feel like I was playing a tube amp. I spent most time on the Soldano module through the 1x12 Synergy Combo. It's cool, but not for me.
  • I played the EVH 5150 III, through a Engl 4x12, a Mesa 4x12 and an EVH 4x12. The ENGL sucked, but I always think Engl sucks. Not my taste. The 5150 sounded amazing through the other two cabinets. If I'm going amp head again, it will be 5150. That's the noise!
  • I also played a Hughes & Kettner Black Spirit Combo. I actually loved the sound. It sounded like tubes but it's has no tubes at all. It does have the same controls and effects like a Grandmeister which I don't like. If they would make a simple one, like a Tubemeister, it would be a winner.
  • I wanted to try a Kraken, but they didn't have it in stock. Same goes for a Rockerverb.
  • I tried a Mesa Rectoverb 25 combo just because it was there. Hated it. The cleans were not very clean the drives lacked body.
  • As for guitars, I really only focused on EMG guitars to try the amps with. All the others I just took off the wall and played acoustically. Other than a headless Mayones, I wasn't really impressed. My purple strat really is the right guitar for me.

I like the coil split on my Charvel (Duncan JB/59 combo), but I don't have any other single coil guitars to compare it against.
About the coil split thing:
I have the USA Production models Charvel (San Dimas with the 59/JB combo). It didn't come with a factory installed split, I did instal it. At first I just followed a Seymour Duncan schematic. It worked, which was already a succes given my lack of wiring and soldering experience back then. I apparently had gotten both inner coils as a split. It was unsatisfying and pretty much unused.

At one point later in time, I came to realize that you could choose what coil you'd split. With some very useful help of the magical @Robstafarian as a double checking wiring god, I turned it into a split of the outer coils. It's much better and more usable since then, although I still feel that the output is a tad lower than I'd ideally like it to be. It does allow for some rhythm vs lead switcheroo with the different levels which is alright and a bit easier than rolling on and off the volume control, which has a pretty loose roll. The tap on the knob is a bit easier. The outer coils are also a more 'convincing' single coil sound to my ears.

mirage2101

I went to Musik Produktiv last Saturday to check out some some I was interested in. My conclusions:

• An EMG for my purple strat is incoming. The Bare Knuckle Holy Diver is great, but the EMG just has that little extra push I like. It just worked for me. It's amazing. I always disliked Active pickups, but it seems this is the way to go for now. I will try it at least for a while.
  • I played a Kemper and hated it. They even had it set up with some profile packs other than the factory profiles. Still hated it. Surprisingly though, the feel was fine, but I disliked the sound. I thought it would be the other way around.
  • I tried some Synergy stuff. It was cool, but it had no mojo. It didn't feel like I was playing a tube amp. I spent most time on the Soldano module through the 1x12 Synergy Combo. It's cool, but not for me.
  • I played the EVH 5150 III, through a Engl 4x12, a Mesa 4x12 and an EVH 4x12. The ENGL sucked, but I always think Engl sucks. Not my taste. The 5150 sounded amazing through the other two cabinets. If I'm going amp head again, it will be 5150. That's the noise!
  • I also played a Hughes & Kettner Black Spirit Combo. I actually loved the sound. It sounded like tubes but it's has no tubes at all. It does have the same controls and effects like a Grandmeister which I don't like. If they would make a simple one, like a Tubemeister, it would be a winner.
  • I wanted to try a Kraken, but they didn't have it in stock. Same goes for a Rockerverb.
  • I tried a Mesa Rectoverb 25 combo just because it was there. Hated it. The cleans were not very clean the drives lacked body.
  • As for guitars, I really only focused on EMG guitars to try the amps with. All the others I just took off the wall and played acoustically. Other than a headless Mayones, I wasn't really impressed. My purple strat really is the right guitar for me.
Well your conclusions seem to be pointing at a quite specific sound and solution.

Against better judgement: How was the kemper setup?

Chu

I have the USA Production models Charvel (San Dimas with the 59/JB combo). It didn't come with a factory installed split, I did instal it. At first I just followed a Seymour Duncan schematic. It worked, which was already a succes given my lack of wiring and soldering experience back then. I apparently had gotten both inner coils as a split. It was unsatisfying and pretty much unused.

At one point later in time, I came to realize that you could choose what coil you'd split. With some very useful help of the magical @Robstafarian as a double checking wiring god, I turned it into a split of the outer coils. It's much better and more usable since then, although I still feel that the output is a tad lower than I'd ideally like it to be. It does allow for some rhythm vs lead switcheroo with the different levels which is alright and a bit easier than rolling on and off the volume control, which has a pretty loose roll. The tap on the knob is a bit easier. The outer coils are also a more 'convincing' single coil sound to my ears.
Interesting, I wish I could find a way to make the splits in my guitars sound better to my ears. Sadly when I last asked the aforementioned member for wiring advice, he supplied a link to a Seymour Duncan PDF (not that they were SDs) and told me if I wanted further advice I would have to pay him.

Interesting, I wish I could find a way to make the splits in my guitars sound better to my ears. Sadly when I last asked the aforementioned member for wiring advice, he supplied a link to a Seymour Duncan PDF (not that they were SDs) and told me if I wanted further advice I would have to pay him.
Perhaps to clarify my position a bit: I stated what I deduced from the info I gathered and asked if I was correct in my conclusion. I linked or had drawn out what I knew and asked him to confirm rather than paint me a whole wiring diagram.

The outer coils were close to a night and day difference to me. Might be worth a try. We all know a little bit of guitar wizardry so perhaps we all can help a little bit with yours? ;)

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
Well your conclusions seem to be pointing at a quite specific sound and solution.

Against better judgement: How was the kemper setup?
Well, for now, I'm sticking to my current setup. I am going to get my Hot Rod back out of the studio so I can use tubes with the band. With my current pedalboard I can theoretically plug into any clean amp. I have to protect myself against myself and keep it practical. I don't want to lug around a heavy head and cab.

The Kemper was a Powered Kemper plugged into a Friedman 2x12 cabinet.

SemiCullen

Still haven't got the hang of Thursdays

I didn't even know which coil was active on my Pro Mod. Looking it up, it is the outer coils.

Oh god were do I begin?

At first it was thrash metal back in 1991 when I started playing electric and I had to figure it out myself. The only music store I eventually became a great customer at knew nothing or could advice on what to use.

So it was a alot of trial and errors with guitars, effects and amps. The story is rather long on the details but it seemed to be that I was on a hunt for the right tools and once there done thats it! Yes really!

The tide started slowly to turn around 1995 as I got my first long time quality partscaster as a trade. And finally got my Jackson Rhoads custom US build for me in late 1996.
Due to have a good job I got 2 stratocasters and a Gibson Les Paul custom historic but it did not make much sense and it got sold on.

Effects I have tried and had a bunch of and I am currently selling the last 2 I have except Wah.

The amp problem was not having more than regular mid drive/distortion or hardly any as in case of my Marshall Major on 10! Very clean indeed. That is how they are!

I did get a very cool Marshall 2104 combo 1978 ex Thin Lizzy in 2000 with factory master volume. It was slim and light with greenbacks Celestions. Great tone on high and low.

Still the ultimative was finally finding that Mesa/Boogie Quad preamp that had the right higain. Being rack build lighter than a head.

Every amp and soon effects got sold on and finally a matching Mesa Boogie 295 poweramp for the Quad shows up and its perfect harmony with 20 tubes simulclass.

The 295 is a bit heavy and as a rack I am not sure yet to combine it with the Quad in a rack.

I do have gone to a Marshall 1922 cabinet as a 1960 is not too practical and I had enough time to figure that out as I had one for 10 years.

Now I have added a Rockman midi octopus and got a Rocktron midi mate board for channel switching in the deal together which works very well to store more than the original footswitch.

The brilliance of the octopus is it handles midi so I will get a BOSS SE 70 at some point and see how it will be. Any cool sounds can be stored via midi and the midi mate board.

The Quad has special designet circurit for the recording outputs to save the trouble of mic up and even higain sounds awesome.

So I am happy and everything feels right to stay where I am for now.

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
So for practicing at home, I couldn't find a good solution at the store I visited last weekend. One option was if I go Kemper I could also use it at home with headphones, but Kemper wasn't for me. The other option was 5150 50 watt and use it at home as well with the Headphone out. But then I would need to drag the cabinet home as well, as the amp does not have it's own load. These conclusions were made in the store. So I walked over to the boss section and tried a Katana 1x12. Where I thought it sounded good, I doubted if this is what I wanted. Ideally I would like something to plug my pedalboard in and play through headphones. After some deliberating I decided to order a Palmer Pocket Amp. It has an aux in and a headphone out. It also has speaker sim, clean, crunch and lead and some tonal options etc. I've played version 1 before and it was cool. I thought, why not try version 2. If it sucks, I just send it back. So that's incoming along with some parts I need to install an EMG in my Purple Strat.