Thoughts on Gear and GAS

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
Many hugs! hope you feel better soon. :dance:
Thanks. The main problem would be that if I sell everything, I will also get frustrated with the selling sites. How I hate those....

I feel completely uninspired with music, playing and my gear. Every time I grab a guitar I can't seem to get further than 3 chords before getting bored or annoyed. I haven't seen my bandmates in over a month. I will be seeing them on Friday, but for some reason, I'm not looking forward to it. I feel my playing is only getting worse with time. When I look at my gear at the amount of money just sitting there, it frustrates me, which is why I get the feeling I should just get rid of it. Maybe invest the money in something useful like a house or something.

drittal

Nerd on the Prairie
Thanks. The main problem would be that if I sell everything, I will also get frustrated with the selling sites. How I hate those....

I feel completely uninspired with music, playing and my gear. Every time I grab a guitar I can't seem to get further than 3 chords before getting bored or annoyed. I haven't seen my bandmates in over a month. I will be seeing them on Friday, but for some reason, I'm not looking forward to it. I feel my playing is only getting worse with time. When I look at my gear at the amount of money just sitting there, it frustrates me, which is why I get the feeling I should just get rid of it. Maybe invest the money in something useful like a house or something.
Maybe you just need a break? I sometimes feel like I hit walls or plateaus and feel uninspired. A change of my pedal board or trying to learn a song outside my comfort zone usually helps.

Good luck man

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wade Garrett

I am the projectionist.

I agree with @drittal, a break would do you good. I've been in a similar spot to you since my last band stopped playing, I've been totally disinterested for the most part for well over a year. I'm beginning to feel a need to possibly start playing more (I'm very much in the strum a few chord and put the guitar down camp at the moment) and possibly do some recording.

Do something else for a while, I've been riding my bike.

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
I don't know if a break will help. I haven't been to bandpractice in a month because of scheduling conflicts and I can count how many chords I've played in that time on 2 hands.

I decided to plug in my Peavey Butcher yesterday on a cabinet with a crappy speaker. It actually sounded really good. Now I'm thorn between selling it, or keeping it but having to carry around a big head. I don't like carrying too much stuff to gigs...

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
I just had a conversation about gear with my bass player. I think what it comes down to with me is as follows:

The gear I have is great and works well with the band. I can use it at home, but it's really too loud and with a 6 month old baby in the house, that just won't work. So what I need is something to practice with headphones which also sounds good, so I need speaker sim. The problem I have with needing more stuff is, I already have too much stuff. So the unrest of not being able to play at home how I want to play combined with the unrest of having too much stuff, which is to me just a ton of money laying around doing nothing makes me want to sell everything and start over.

In an ideal world I have one piece of gear that allows me to play live and to practice at home. I'm starting to believe more and more that this one piece is a Kemper. I have mentioned this before. If there is any other option out there that does what I want it to do, please let me know.

mirage2101

In an ideal world I have one piece of gear that allows me to play live and to practice at home. I'm starting to believe more and more that this one piece is a Kemper. I have mentioned this before. If there is any other option out there that does what I want it to do, please let me know.
I landed on kemper because I like to have the options of all the profiles and it solves my amp GAS that I'd get otherwise. If you're more amp minded this is the way to go. Maybe keep your hx effects for the drives.
Helix will also be a great catch all solution. For more effects and complicated routing this is a better one.
Both can go with a power amp and cab or with FRFR speakers or headphones.

On the lower end of the spectrum a katana head has a surprisingly good and wide range of tones, can go to a cab, interface or whatever. And has a 6" speaker that won't wake up your kid.

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
I landed on kemper because I like to have the options of all the profiles and it solves my amp GAS that I'd get otherwise. If you're more amp minded this is the way to go. Maybe keep your hx effects for the drives.
Helix will also be a great catch all solution. For more effects and complicated routing this is a better one.
Both can go with a power amp and cab or with FRFR speakers or headphones.

On the lower end of the spectrum a katana head has a surprisingly good and wide range of tones, can go to a cab, interface or whatever. And has a 6" speaker that won't wake up your kid.
I have actually used the big Helix a lot, because a friend of mine has one. Where I like it for effects, I don't like the amp models in it. I actually don't really use the drives from the HX Effects. I've never been much of a drive pedal user. I really prefer an amp that has a good clean and relatively high gain channel on it, like a Rockerverb. As for effects, a Phase 90, an Analog Delay and a Wah are mainstays on my board. Since getting the HX Effects, I've also been using some spacey sounding reverbs, chorus, tremolo etc. So basically, I like modulation, delays and reverbs. Don't care much for others.

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
The kemper space effects are really good.

But in the end you have to choose and be able to let go of other gear.
I've been trying to sell some stuff, but marktplaats is so annoying these days and I'm having no luck on Reverb. You wouldn't believe it, but my wife actually gets in my way of letting gear go. And again, so much time and money has gone into getting the gear I have for me to almost use none of it. It's just a waste. That's what's also holding me back from Kemper. I will buy one piece of gear that does everything, only to take a handful of sounds out of it and never touch the rest.

mirage2101

I've been trying to sell some stuff, but marktplaats is so annoying these days and I'm having no luck on Reverb. You wouldn't believe it, but my wife actually gets in my way of letting gear go. And again, so much time and money has gone into getting the gear I have for me to almost use none of it. It's just a waste. That's what's also holding me back from Kemper. I will buy one piece of gear that does everything, only to take a handful of sounds out of it and never touch the rest.
Marktplaats needs a bit of patience and sometimes you have to accept that gear fetches less then you'd hope.

I have the same with the kemper. I use a few profiles spread over a number of presets for differenct effects.
But.. I could never play that original amp at that volume at home. And when I get the itch I just get another amp profile and I'm golden.
If you only need a couple of sounds and that results in not having other gear.. I don't see the problem. It'd only be a problem is you have 7 amps AND a kemper.

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
Marktplaats needs a bit of patience and sometimes you have to accept that gear fetches less then you'd hope.

I have the same with the kemper. I use a few profiles spread over a number of presets for differenct effects.
But.. I could never play that original amp at that volume at home. And when I get the itch I just get another amp profile and I'm golden.
If you only need a couple of sounds and that results in not having other gear.. I don't see the problem. It'd only be a problem is you have 7 amps AND a kemper.
I'm going to a shop that has Kempers, other similar amps and real amps next week. I'm going to try them all and I'm bringing a friend who's also very critical with sound in general. If it sounds right I just need to convince myself that it's worth the money.

mirage2101

I'm going to a shop that has Kempers, other similar amps and real amps next week. I'm going to try them all and I'm bringing a friend who's also very critical with sound in general. If it sounds right I just need to convince myself that it's worth the money.
Do a blind test :) Take a page from our fearless lord of monkeys. Have your friend select a profile or two and a couple of amps.. And just play.

Chu

I just had a conversation about gear with my bass player. I think what it comes down to with me is as follows:

The gear I have is great and works well with the band. I can use it at home, but it's really too loud and with a 6 month old baby in the house, that just won't work. So what I need is something to practice with headphones which also sounds good, so I need speaker sim. The problem I have with needing more stuff is, I already have too much stuff. So the unrest of not being able to play at home how I want to play combined with the unrest of having too much stuff, which is to me just a ton of money laying around doing nothing makes me want to sell everything and start over.

I use my Kemper direct to FOH at gigs, to IEMs, to either the PA or my cab at band practice, to my desktop monitors or headphones at home and also to my DAW via Spdif. I've a full set up cables left in situ at home so the first thing I do after bringing in my gear in from band practice is to plug it in. I make a rule to always do it straight away, this way I always have quick access to my favourite tones with no faffing. For years I lived with bodged setups for home, bigger rigs for band use and god knows what for recording. Now it's all one.

I've long realised that convenience and consistency is far more rewarding and beneficial for me than chasing that elusive perfect combination of pedal, amp and speaker.

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
Do a blind test :) Take a page from our fearless lord of monkeys. Have your friend select a profile or two and a couple of amps.. And just play.
We will definitely be doing that.

I use my Kemper direct to FOH at gigs, to IEMs, to either the PA or my cab at band practice, to my desktop monitors or headphones at home and also to my DAW via Spdif. I've a full set up cables left in situ at home so the first thing I do after bringing in my gear in from band practice is to plug it in. I make a rule to always do it straight away, this way I always have quick access to my favourite tones with no faffing. For years I lived with bodged setups for home, bigger rigs for band use and god knows what for recording. Now it's all one.

I've long realised that convenience and consistency is far more rewarding and beneficial for me than chasing that elusive perfect combination of pedal, amp and speaker.
Sounds ideal. My band won't be gigging until at least the end of the year due to our singer being pregnant. But until then we will continue playing in our practice space with or without her. I just need to get over some of my current gear to be able to let it go and then get over the price of a kemper.

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
I've done some things over the weekend to see where my head is at gear wise and playing wise.

• I used my Peavey Butcher with the band for the first time. Although nice, it's not my sound. It's cool for layering on recordings, but it lacks the warmth and gain I'm used to from the 6505's and Orange sounds that I've used mostly over the years. This amp is still for sale.
  • I used my Peavey Rage 158, connected my tablet to it to play along to some songs. Although I did have fun, it was frustrating to find out that I have forgotten most of what I've learned over the years. I need to sit down and relearn some stuff. I also concluded that, although the guitar sound was acceptable using my Wampler Catapulp and HX effects through the small amp, the playalong tracks sounded like shit. I need to figure out a better way to do this. I currently do not have any desktop monitors or HiFi speakers of any kind.
  • I also used a lot more of my HX Effects then I have done before. This unit really is a lot of fun to play with, but if it's all usable...I don't know. For now, it's staying, unless I go Kemper. Then it's not needed anymore.
  • I only had my Purple Strat available as the rest is still in the studio. I am starting to think I need to go active pickups. It currently has a Bare Knuckle Holy Diver which is great. I don't play metal, but somehow all the sounds I like are done with EMG's. I might have to try that. Stone Sour also did EMG's for a while, even on their softer songs. It might be the sound I'm looking for. I first have to finish our EP though, as I've used the Bareknuckle as the main sound for half. We decided to at least finish recording first, then mod the guitar. I also recently had a coil split installed. I don't like the split sound. It sucks. If I need single coils, I'll grab my Fender Strat or my Custom Tele.
This is all I have available at the moment. My Hot Rod, my Orange Jim Root Terror and all my other guitars are in the studio, but will get the same treatment as soon as possible.

On a plus site, my bass player and I are going to Musik Produktiv this weekend to check out some gear which may also help us decide what we really like and what's practical. I hope to be surprised by Kemper and Positive Grid. I'm also checking out real amps to compare. Very interested to hear the EVH 5150 III 50 Watt heads. They seem to be very versatile. I also want to check out a Victory Kraken. Never tried anything Victory before.

And finally, my newest thought on gear. I made a list of all the guitar sounds I like. The funny thing is. They are all from more Metal acts than Rock acts. BUT, coming from a background of metal, my sound has never changed. I use very High Gain sounds to play our more Stone Sour/ Audioslave/Incubus-esque style of music. It's just me. Somehow I feel more in control of my sound with high gain. Which why the Butcher is going. So if I list all the sounds that I really like there are two constants. They used some sort of EMG pickup, and in one case Fishman Fluence. They all used a 5150/6505 variant, be it Peavey or EVH or they use Rockerverbs. The clean tones I like are usually Roland JC-120's. If these are the sounds I like, maybe I should just try that in stead of avoiding EMG's because active, or avoiding 5150's because metal or something.

mirage2101

Why not sell the rage? To my huge surprise it's still sold new. Just grab a couple of M-audio av42s or small krk rokits. I use the M-audio av40 as my computer speakers and they're loud enough to play along to at home volumes. Very affordable too. (My wife got mad when I hooked them up to the kemper and used a set of old boss pc speakers on the computer.. She said it sounded like ass all of the sudden)

I also sold the HX effects when I went kemper. I do miss some of the effects but I don't want to do 4cm stuff and all that jiggery.

Remember that for the price of a kemper you could have a synergy with a couple of modules too. That'll also enable you to have some surprising clean/gain combinations while still playing tubes if that's important to you.

I tried the rob chapman signature victory and it was a really nice amp. The only downside on it for me was the wonkey tone knob. I'd rather have a full eq. I have the victory profiles on my list to try on the kemper. They're actually officially being sold by victory for the price of a couple of beers.

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
Why not sell the rage? To my huge surprise it's still sold new.
I have the old Rage 158 from 2002. I won't get more than €20 for it. It's also my first amp ever. Perhaps some day my son will enjoy to practice guitar on.

Just grab a couple of M-audio av42s or small krk rokits. I use the M-audio av40 as my computer speakers and they're loud enough to play along to at home volumes. Very affordable too. (My wife got mad when I hooked them up to the kemper and used a set of old boss pc speakers on the computer.. She said it sounded like ass all of the sudden)

I also sold the HX effects when I went kemper. I do miss some of the effects but I don't want to do 4cm stuff and all that jiggery.

Remember that for the price of a kemper you could have a synergy with a couple of modules too. That'll also enable you to have some surprising clean/gain combinations while still playing tubes if that's important to you.
I have considered this, but I currently don't have a desk anymore. I kind of got rid of my office to make space for the baby room. The other spare room is still half office/half guestroom, but that meant getting rid of the desk. 4CM is also something I don't feel like doing, so I will have to consider that. I've taken a look at Synergy, but I'm not feeling the options. If they have it in stock saturday, I will try it.