Thoughts on Gear and GAS

mirage2101

I can haz smartz!!

I hooked up my attenuator to the mesa boogie and turned up the volume dials of my channels and the gain down.
Holy balls that works a lot better. Most were at around 5 with gain channels on 1-3.

Fat channel is now at 3 gain with 3 volume and it's just a bit hairy. What a lovely pushed sound!
I went to the edge channel instead of the mark 1 channel for a just not clean anymore but sound that can be cleaned up.
and the third channel is at 2c+ now instead of mark IV. at low gain this one gives the nicest texture for rhythm play.
That allows me to front boost all channels without a huge volume gain and get a really roaring sound.
In fairness, on this setting I could probably do with only the first channel. But I wanted options and I have them :)

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
I can haz smartz!!

I hooked up my attenuator to the mesa boogie and turned up the volume dials of my channels and the gain down.
Holy balls that works a lot better. Most were at around 5 with gain channels on 1-3.

Fat channel is now at 3 gain with 3 volume and it's just a bit hairy. What a lovely pushed sound!
I went to the edge channel instead of the mark 1 channel for a just not clean anymore but sound that can be cleaned up.
and the third channel is at 2c+ now instead of mark IV. at low gain this one gives the nicest texture for rhythm play.
That allows me to front boost all channels without a huge volume gain and get a really roaring sound.
In fairness, on this setting I could probably do with only the first channel. But I wanted options and I have them :)
Well there yah go. Problem solved.

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
So long story short. The guitar I ordered was delayed again, so I got sick of it and cancelled it. I had already saved up for it, so I now basically have a pile of cash with nothing to buy. I've been GASing on explorers, but don't want to pull the trigger impulsively. I am going to shops to test some stuff.

BUT, this whole ordeal has left me with a bitter aftertaste. My current feeling today is to say fuck it and not buy a new guitar. I may even use the cash to pre-order a PS5 or Switch Pro (if it comes out).

My main issue is, every time I look at guitar I can't find anything I like aesthetically. Nothing appeals to me. And the things I have in my head that I would like, don't exist, like a white Gibson 1984 Explorer with EMG's, or an Ibanez AZ in white, HH, but no trem and 22 frets. I'm lost. I think I'm gonna sit on my pile of cash for a bit and enjoy being just that little bit richer.

johnniegoat

Stop, don’t, come back.
@Neilybob100

not sure yet - my cab is at my friend's house. picking it up in the morning

the OTS is more like a full Dumble - this is more like a Tweed Deluxe that's been Dumblised

there is a master volume on the back, so i won't deafen the neighbours once its on

at one point in the last 3 weeks i had somewhere in the region of 25 amps on various watchlists, but there was nothing that made me pull the trigger

mate texted me the ebay link to this - once i knew it was not a wind up, i didn't hesitate :)

ps - i still want that OTS!!

mirage2101

ooooooooh!!!

That's very lovely!!

I don't know if it'd kill my GAS though.. For the last couple of years I don't think I've owned an amp longer then a year. I've been able to sell most pretty well so it hasn't hurt too much. But I'm starting to think it's the hunt as much as the amp.

I'm going to give the tweed channel a shot on the mark V.
That's the bright side, I have all those sounds on tab.
I just get an itch of all these simple amps..

johnniegoat

Stop, don’t, come back.
@mirage2101

its not the actual amp - its the thing

i wanted this thing for ages. since it popped up and i bought it, all thoughts of other stuff has vanished

its probably not a permanent fix, but i am willing to take that risk :)

mirage2101

@mirage2101

its not the actual amp - its the thing

i wanted this thing for ages. since it popped up and i bought it, all thoughts of other stuff has vanished

its probably not a permanent fix, but i am willing to take that risk :)
I get the feeling. It just never lasts with me. I’m not sure why. I had a blackstar ht5 for ages and it never was an issue but since I sold it..

I wanted to check out the price and in the ceriatone website they don’t have prices but a contact form to talk about your wishes. I might just mail them.

this is also very compelling
https://hookamps.com/wizard/

With the price drop on Mesa boogie I don’t think I’ll get out my money. Maybe I’ll just put it on sale for what I bought it for and if it goes I’ll have enough funds for the wizard or a ceriatone and continue the quest.

johnniegoat

Stop, don’t, come back.
@mirage2101

1/ they tend to be pretty inexpensive, so you don't break the bank
2/ they do a damned good noise

:)

i think you have a great amp already; if you want other tones, unless you are willing to go down the modeller/ kemper route, having a few inexpensive/ mid priced amps could be the way to go

figure out exactly what noise you want to make, then research the best way to get that sound. it could be an MB MK5 can do it all. or you might find a blend of a few amps will get you closer. just depends how far down that rabbit hole you are willing to plunge

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
@mirage2101 honestly, I don't think you will find anything 'better' than what you have. But if you are not getting the sounds you want, maybe you should do what I always do when I try to figure out what type of gear to look for.

For example. I made a list of all my favorite album sounds by my favorite guitar players. Then I listed all the gear used by them. I noticed most of what I liked were Mahogany body guitars, with active pickups, mostly EMG going through some form of 5150 or 6505 amp. I didn't want to lug around a big head to band practice so I did research on 5150 sounds in a pedal and ended up with the Kraken PreAmp. I threw some EMG's in 2 of my guitars and voila. That's the noise! It works! If I want to change it up, I have other guitars, with passive humbuckers and single coils. Now my dilemma remains finding the one guitar that does EVERYTHING that I like. I like how my strat feels, I prefer how my PRS sounds. So I need to find the combination of the two.

I watched an interview with Tom Morello who was also always gear hunting in his younger days. At some point he noticed he was busies tweaking his gear and not playing as much as he would like, so he decided to just stick with what he has. He would work with it. He accepted that that was how he sounded and other gear would not change that a lot. I think I've reached that point with my main tones when it comes to pedals and amps. Just accept that that's it. A Mark V is maybe the closest thing to a Kemper any analog amp will get. If this doesn't float your boat, then maybe nothing will. You could of course also just accept that you do it for the sport of it and keep buying and selling amps just for fun. Nothing wrong with that.

mirage2101

@Tankman @johnniegoat

Thanks for thinking along guys. I realize I'm being a bit difficult here.

The mark V is a great amp for sure. I can't fault it. It's way better then a kemper, I'm not going back to that. The only thing I might consider is getting a helix instead of seperate effects.
If I look back at the last couple of years:
princeton: great tone. I missed the true tube overdrive. In hindsight I never boosted it at the input. I might not have made the best out of that.
fuchs blackjack: got that tube overdrive. Used boost. Nice mid pushing amp. made me never play the princeton so I sold it. their cleans were close enough not to matter
Kemper: each model is 1 amp at a specific setting. That made it difficult to dial in. Only used the mark V patch after a couple of months of browsing.

Mark V: great sounds. I realized two things last night. My position to the amp is different and my room is smaller right now. So it might be a volume and room issue. It seems to lack a bit of body.
Somehow I've gotten it into my head that the channels respond differently to boosting/fuzz etc then the simple single channel versions of those amps would do and I think I'm wrong.
Currently I use it as clean/crunch/lead.. But when I look at amps I'm always looking for blues type amps. I'm not a metal guy. Maybe I should dial it in more on different characters of low gain sounds then different gain stages.

Another thought..
I don't have pedal stuff like a compressor or reverb. I might be looking at something in the sound that doesn't even come from the amp..

All leading to... If I'd trade in the mark V it would have to be because I'm specializing in a certain sound. And you could well argue that most amps aren't better at what they do then the mark V. I like the Morello example and it might well be a grass is greener thing.

I hate GAS..

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
Room and amp position is very important. When I was using a 2x12 cabinet vertically, I thought it lacked body. One day, I just put it down horizontally and Boom, there it was!

Don't forget, you're playing at home. If one day you feel like playing blues, just change the settings. If one day you feel like metal, just do that. You don't need a fixed setup. Set up the amp per song you're playing. The sounds are there.

What I also notice is my perception of my sound can change every time I play, so I set up my volumes and EQ from scratch each time I play. Of course, I have a band mix to consider, but still. I start from scratch, do a sound check to match volumes etc.

Regarding the pedal. Why don't you just order some things you like from Thomann, try it, and then send back what you don't like. They are not that difficult to deal with. If you can find it on Amazon, it's even easier to return stuff.

mirage2101

Don't forget, you're playing at home. If one day you feel like playing blues, just change the settings. If one day you feel like metal, just do that. You don't need a fixed setup. Set up the amp per song you're playing. The sounds are there.

Regarding the pedal. Why don't you just order some things you like from Thomann, try it, and then send back what you don't like. They are not that difficult to deal with. If you can find it on Amazon, it's even easier to return stuff.
Go by song is a fair point.

Yeah I should. I have a nice shopping list at hand.