Thoughts on Gear and GAS

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
Still, I've sold Behringer when I worked in a shop. Most of the products came back with some sort of defect. If you want these pedals, with better housings and still reasonably priced, just get the TC Electronic pedals. Those are basically rehoused, and in some cases slightly tweaker/improved versions of the Behringer stuff.

When the Behringer group bought the TC Group, they asked then product manager Tore Mogensen to do something with that line of products. So he plugged them in, and to his surprise liked the sounds out of most of them. He redesigned and rebranded them and now you can have cheap pedals that sound ok and won't break when you look at them.

Not all are great though. I bought the Fluorescence because I wanted a cheap shimmer. It's useless. There's such a long delay between hitting a not and actually hearing the effect, it's unusable. Could not have sent it back quicker.

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
I thought I'd be a bit a adventurous last Friday and took a 3 single coil Strat to the band, in stead of my usual EMG humbucker equipped guitars. I came to two big conclusions.

1. Man I really don't like single coils. I mean, for recording purposes, yes. But as a main sound, hell no. Completely unusable for me. Also, the guitar had this weird resonance which almost made it sound like I had a ring mod turned on.
  2. The Kraken Preamp can make anything sound half decent. While I did not enjoying playing the single coils, I could still get a good amount of chug and saturation out of it thanks to the Kraken.
My conclusion is that, although I wasn't doubting that choice, I am sticking with my EMG's. I never liked them, but somehow they work in the band. I really hope the guitar I ordered arrives soon. It's kind of the combination of all the things I like in my current 'band' guitars in one. Strat Scale, 2 EMG humbuckers, Mahogany body....

everfreetree

I... I like trees.
I thought I'd be a bit a adventurous last Friday and took a 3 single coil Strat to the band, in stead of my usual EMG humbucker equipped guitars. I came to two big conclusions.

1. Man I really don't like single coils. I mean, for recording purposes, yes. But as a main sound, hell no. Completely unusable for me. Also, the guitar had this weird resonance which almost made it sound like I had a ring mod turned on.
  2. The Kraken Preamp can make anything sound half decent. While I did not enjoying playing the single coils, I could still get a good amount of chug and saturation out of it thanks to the Kraken.
My conclusion is that, although I wasn't doubting that choice, I am sticking with my EMG's. I never liked them, but somehow they work in the band. I really hope the guitar I ordered arrives soon. It's kind of the combination of all the things I like in my current 'band' guitars in one. Strat Scale, 2 EMG humbuckers, Mahogany body....
I've made a random diagnosis based on my own experience... It's Stratitis. One or more pickups too close to the strings, causing discordant, resonant notes to be picked up.
That "weird resonance" sound is all too familiar.
Scoot those pickups back from the strings a bit, especially if you're planning on cranking the gain with it.

And the Kraken preamp is indeed, still a wonderful thing.

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
I've made a random diagnosis based on my own experience... It's Stratitis. One or more pickups too close to the strings, causing discordant, resonant notes to be picked up.
That "weird resonance" sound is all too familiar.
Scoot those pickups back from the strings a bit, especially if you're planning on cranking the gain with it.

And the Kraken preamp is indeed, still a wonderful thing.
I'll try that, though my solution was to just not play the strat in the band anymore. :p

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
I think I'm going to buy Pita Bread later. Thanks for that! :p

But yeah. GAS sucks. I know what I want for a change. I've order what I want. But it's been delayed so often that I'm having GAS for other guitars. The problem is, I have money set aside for the ordered guitar. If I buy something else, it should be around the same level of quality, so about the same price, which means I'd have to cancel my order. But I want it! But I also want something now! And as I've mentioned, I kind of need it as well.

As for your amp. I'd stay away from Bugera. Nice cheap amps, but when they break down, and they usually do, parts are also a pita and expensive.

Why not get something like a Marshall Class 5, or a Fender Pro Jr, or one of the Orange heads. I think there's plenty of quality stuff out there that's also affordable.

On the other hand. You could also just slap yourself in your face and be happy with the MK5. Just go visit some shops, try some pedals. Try some amps as well just to ease the GAS.

mirage2101

On the other hand. You could also just slap yourself in your face and be happy with the MK5. Just go visit some shops, try some pedals. Try some amps as well just to ease the GAS.
This mostly. I can dial in a million tones and settings.
What I currently want is a channel to push into overdrive. the clean channels are hard to push. The crunch channel is made for it. But i've got it dialed in on a higher gain tone currently. There's nothing stopping me from doing that on edge of breakup and using the gain channel for my rhythm sounds and boosting them all for solo's.
Except it sounds so good as it is... :)

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
This mostly. I can dial in a million tones and settings.
What I currently want is a channel to push into overdrive. the clean channels are hard to push. The crunch channel is made for it. But i've got it dialed in on a higher gain tone currently. There's nothing stopping me from doing that on edge of breakup and using the gain channel for my rhythm sounds and boosting them all for solo's.
Except it sounds so good as it is... :)
Maybe then get a pedal that emulates that sound?

mirage2101

Can you explain the sound you want in a bit more detail, maybe with some examples?
I'll dig up some examples later tonight.
But you know that pedalshow? Those guys start out with an amp and use OD and boost and fuzz to hit the input harder and it overdrives. Sometimes the guitar has so much output it'll overdrive by itself and when they dial down the volume it cleans up.
But.. I don't want huge volume differences between clean and distortion. And that's what I always run into. If the boosted distortion is nice, clean is too soft. Or if clean if ok, distortion will get too loud.
I'd like an amp with more compression I think.

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
I'll dig up some examples later tonight.
But you know that pedalshow? Those guys start out with an amp and use OD and boost and fuzz to hit the input harder and it overdrives. Sometimes the guitar has so much output it'll overdrive by itself and when they dial down the volume it cleans up.
But.. I don't want huge volume differences between clean and distortion. And that's what I always run into. If the boosted distortion is nice, clean is too soft. Or if clean if ok, distortion will get too loud.
I'd like an amp with more compression I think.
Maybe buy a nice compressor then? I particularly like the Diamond Compressor.

johnniegoat

Stop, don’t, come back.
i have had GAS for what seems ever

this week a thing occurred

and it feels like all the GAS has gone

i am sure it will return, but its a strange feeling