Thoughts on Gear and GAS

Chu

Cracking description.

This is the type of thing we should be focussing on as we live our lives. Be it hitting balls with a stick, spending fun-time with your grandkids, taking an interest in "classic" (broken) cars or plucking steel strings tied to a plank of wood.

We can put up with the rest of it as long as we get just enough of the good bits.
Amen. I certainly won't look back with fondness to that time I bought the ultra low capacitance braided cable, but I might on the jam I had using it.

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
Yesterday I ordered, then cancelled a set of Fishman Fluence Devin Townsend Signature pickups. I got a great deal, but as soon as I ordered, I started doubting. Even with the deal, they are still expensive pickups that I've never heard in real life. If I don't like them, I can't just return them. I'd have to sell them at a loss. So I decided to cancel them and maybe try and find one of Devin's signature models to try before deciding what to buy.

Another reason is that I would be putting them in my PRS. But I don't use the PRS in the band. Just at home sporadically. The PRS has sentimental value and I don't want anything to happen to it, so I don't take it out. I then started considering getting a guitar to put the pickups in, but this didn't make sense, because I don't need that guitar.

In other developments, a guitar that I've wanted for over 10 years is now available, but I don't want to use my savings to buy it. The odd thing is that my wife pushing me to do just that.

SemiCullen

Still haven't got the hang of Thursdays
Yesterday I ordered, then cancelled a set of Fishman Fluence Devin Townsend Signature pickups. I got a great deal, but as soon as I ordered, I started doubting. Even with the deal, they are still expensive pickups that I've never heard in real life. If I don't like them, I can't just return them. I'd have to sell them at a loss. So I decided to cancel them and maybe try and find one of Devin's signature models to try before deciding what to buy.

Another reason is that I would be putting them in my PRS. But I don't use the PRS in the band. Just at home sporadically. The PRS has sentimental value and I don't want anything to happen to it, so I don't take it out. I then started considering getting a guitar to put the pickups in, but this didn't make sense, because I don't need that guitar.

In other developments, a guitar that I've wanted for over 10 years is now available, but I don't want to use my savings to buy it. The odd thing is that my wife pushing me to do just that.
The Devin Townsend Fluence pups are fantastic. I had them in a Les Paul I sold. In retrospect, I wish I'd pulled the pups before selling.

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
The Devin Townsend Fluence pups are fantastic. I had them in a Les Paul I sold. In retrospect, I wish I'd pulled the pups before selling.
Could give me a short review? My reference for that guitar is an EMG 81/60 set. I was also considering getting a Charvel San Dimas HH and putting them in that, but it's an Alder body.

SemiCullen

Could give me a short review? My reference for that guitar is an EMG 81/60 set. I was also considering getting a Charvel San Dimas HH and putting them in that, but it's an Alder body.
Do you have any experience with the Fluence pups? To my ears they sound as warm and nuanced as passive pickups while giving you the same kind of liveliness you expect from an active. I have the Modern set in an all-mahogany body Agile LP-style guitar. They are wired as normal from the manufacturer with one push-pull changing the voice from Voice 1 “modern active” to Voice 2 “Crisp, clean and fluid” in the AlNiCo pup (usually in the neck) and from Voice 1 “modern active” to Voice 2 “modern passive” in the ceramic pup (usually the bridge). The other push-pull engages a high frequency tilt that mimics the kind of treble loss you experience in long cords. You can, if you want to add a switch or another pair of push-pull pots, also engage a coil split, but I have not wired them up to do that.

The modern active sound is great for high-gain music. It will drive whatever distortion you’re using pretty hard and remain very articulate. The modern passive is great for crunchy to clean playing. I find the high-frequency tilt function to be really useful when I’m chasing classic rock tones.

OK, so the Devin Townsend set differs a little from the Modern set. Its Voice 1 is still, essentially the “modern active” but the sound, again, to my ears, is just a little sweeter. The Voice 2 is either a coil tap or a humbucker-version of a coil tap sound, or you can wire a switch to do both. DT just uses a single volume, single tone, but when I wired the Les Paul I was able to wire both versions of the 2nd voicing. Honestly, I hardly used them, so I can’t really report what I liked or disliked, but I do recall the humbucker-version of the Voice 2 sounding a bit more P90ish.

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
Do you have any experience with the Fluence pups? To my ears they sound as warm and nuanced as passive pickups while giving you the same kind of liveliness you expect from an active. I have the Modern set in an all-mahogany body Agile LP-style guitar. They are wired as normal from the manufacturer with one push-pull changing the voice from Voice 1 “modern active” to Voice 2 “Crisp, clean and fluid” in the AlNiCo pup (usually in the neck) and from Voice 1 “modern active” to Voice 2 “modern passive” in the ceramic pup (usually the bridge). The other push-pull engages a high frequency tilt that mimics the kind of treble loss you experience in long cords. You can, if you want to add a switch or another pair of push-pull pots, also engage a coil split, but I have not wired them up to do that.

The modern active sound is great for high-gain music. It will drive whatever distortion you’re using pretty hard and remain very articulate. The modern passive is great for crunchy to clean playing. I find the high-frequency tilt function to be really useful when I’m chasing classic rock tones.

OK, so the Devin Townsend set differs a little from the Modern set. Its Voice 1 is still, essentially the “modern active” but the sound, again, to my ears, is just a little sweeter. The Voice 2 is either a coil tap or a humbucker-version of a coil tap sound, or you can wire a switch to do both. DT just uses a single volume, single tone, but when I wired the Les Paul I was able to wire both versions of the 2nd voicing. Honestly, I hardly used them, so I can’t really report what I liked or disliked, but I do recall the humbucker-version of the Voice 2 sounding a bit more P90ish.
I have experience with the Modern Ceramics. I found them very aggressive compared to the EMG 81. The 81 just seems to saturate is a way that I really enjoy. My experience with the moderns is what's holding me back from blindly ordering the Townsend set. I mostly want them because I am a fan of his and the guitar they are going in is tuned to Open C, because I've started learning some of his stuff just for fun. Also Open C is inspiring me to play. It's nice to have to relearn how to think about your fretboard because of the different tuning. I do have to admit that everything I've bought or tried blindly just because Devin has it up until now has not disappointed. The man has good taste in gear. I have to imagine that his pickups would also sound great.

SemiCullen

I have experience with the Modern Ceramics. I found them very aggressive compared to the EMG 81. The 81 just seems to saturate is a way that I really enjoy. My experience with the moderns is what's holding me back from blindly ordering the Townsend set. I mostly want them because I am a fan of his and the guitar they are going in is tuned to Open C, because I've started learning some of his stuff just for fun. Also Open C is inspiring me to play. It's nice to have to relearn how to think about your fretboard because of the different tuning. I do have to admit that everything I've bought or tried blindly just because Devin has it up until now has not disappointed. The man has good taste in gear. I have to imagine that his pickups would also sound great.
I'm one of those who find the EMG 81/85 set to sound "cold" and "sterile." I agree that the Fluence are probably more aggressive in "modern active" mode, but I also think they better retain the character of a passive pup.

Writing that short review inspired me to play that guitar when I got home yesterday. Once again I'm reminded how much I love those pups. Love that guitar, too.

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
I'm one of those who find the EMG 81/85 set to sound "cold" and "sterile." I agree that the Fluence are probably more aggressive in "modern active" mode, but I also think they better retain the character of a passive pup.

Writing that short review inspired me to play that guitar when I got home yesterday. Once again I'm reminded how much I love those pups. Love that guitar, too.
I'm not a fan of the 85. I prefer the 60 in the neck for cleans. The 81 is a one trick pony in my opinion, but it does that trick really well. I just love how consistent it sounds for high gain. I'm planning on visiting some shops in Germany later in the year who sell Framus. I'm hoping to find at least one of Dev's sigs to check out the pickups.

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
Before I started playing Electric Guitars, I already had posters of the Ibanez K-7 on my wall. At €1599 it was unobtainable to 13-year old me. Fastforward to 2015 and I got a grey K-7. A guitar that I dreamed of having for so long. I had absolutely no use for it. I don't play 7-string guitars and I hate floating tremolo's. But it's a K-7. And I have it.

Now, another 5 years on, I still don't play it. It's on my wall like a trophy. It kind of reminds me that as I've mentioned dreams come true. It has also massively increased in value from the amount I paid for it. I'm now wondering if it's time to let it go. I could use the cash to put towards buying a house. Yes I've just ordered a new guitar, but that's paid for by selling other gear, not from my savings. The K-7 could prove to be a great investment. If I can get a large amount for it, it helps me a lot.

The story behind getting the guitar is what's keeping me from selling it. I just like the feeling of knowing I own it. But maybe just the feeling that I have owned it at some point is enough. I achieved something I wanted to achieve. The actual act is more important than the guitar.

I'm having difficulties deciding what to do.