Thoughts on Gear and GAS

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
I posted this in the what pissed you off thread and decided it was worth it's own thread.

Once again gear is pissing me off. My amp is too heavy, my pedalboard is great, yet I always want something else, but I can't add, because it is full and I don't want to remove anything, because I actually use them in songs. Sometimes I long for the simplest set up. A 2 channel amp and cab with a footswitch. Clean and High Gain. Problem is, soon enough I will be missing my delay, because I was smart enough to write songs that require a delay, otherwise it doesn't sound like the song I wrote.

I'm reading a book which actually describes my problem. And I am aware of the problem. It's an aftereffect of consumerism and a mindset that I have thankfully changed with everything except for with gear. I can't get it together with gear. It has become to easy to access great gear for me and it has become too affordable. The investment is no longer a risk and I no longer have to save up for months to buy something. So if I want it, I buy it. Because it's so easy, I don't appreciate the actual process of buying gear which means I don't enjoy it. As soon as I have it, I'm already looking at the next thing.

I am very jealous of my colleague for example. He plays his guitar through a 6505 set on a high gain sound. No switching, no pedals except for a tuner and a noise gate. OK, he plays a type of music in which you can get away with that, but still. It's so simple.
Who else is struggling with this. Maybe not even with guitar related stuff. What are your thoughts. Regarding a different subject, @bad alice also noted some interesting things about GAS.

I don't struggle with this issue with regards to guitars. It's usually amps and pedals. I can't seem to be able to settle.

A-D-L

Northern Monkey
I did for a long time. Went hunting after every amp, cab and pedal I could find so I could play all the types of music I wanted to. Think pedal platform amp with FX loop that could do clean -> heavy metal along with a cab that was light and small enough to fit in the space I had yet could still pack a punch. Enough pedals to fill all the bits in between.

Finally had enough and went digital and never looked back. I still check out pedal reviews every now and then but I never want to buy them after viewing. Amp reviews are cool to see if it's a profile I want to look at eventually.

Guitar GAS hasn't gone away though. But there is a goal in mind.

If you can narrow your focus. What do you really play now, and what will you realistically play in the future? That might make it easier to trim the GAS.

Or buy an AxeFx and be done with it.

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
I know what I play now. All I need is good cleans, good high gain tones and a decent delay pedal. Besides that, I want my back to survive it all.

My dream amp is an Orange Rockerverb head, but I can't justify buying a €2000 amp with a cab at the moment. It's too much. Maybe some day if the band gets some bigger shows.

I have thought about going digital a lot, but I don't know if that will satisfy me. I played a Kemper today and while I thought the tone was good, I could hear it was digital. Same goes for the Helix. We recorded our first single with just a Helix and it sounds great. It's going to take a lot of mixing magic, but we will be able to minimize the digital sound. Besides that, I really do not have the patience to learn how to properly use digital gear. I have tried it before with modelers. I even owned a Nova System at one point, but I just can't.

The new Mooer Preamp Live seems interesting to me, but I would need to try it. The idea of going ampless does intrigue me. I mean, If I can't find the amp I like, why bother to continue the search. It's not out there.

metromusic

Negative, I am a meat popsicle
Since buying a Kemper, I have literally no GAS for amps or pedals. Sure, I still keep up with what's out there, and think "oh it would be nice to have a JCM800", but since I can just load up a patch, add the effects, and it's all good to go it's more like choosing sounds than amps now. I had a bit of a journey with amps, probably going through 3-4 different ones in the space of about 2 years, whereas I've owned my Kemper for the same amount of time and not changed it.

Guitars on the other hand.......oh boy. I don't think a day goes by before I have a thought about getting something new. Literally today I've gone through thinking about a Gretsch Hollowbody, then a Gibson Flying V and a Fender Jazzmaster. I've already got too many guitars (and need to trim the herd) but I think for me, it's the feeling of getting a new guitar that I like. Then it wears off and I think "did I really need to buy this? Probably not".

If you can narrow your focus. What do you really play now, and what will you realistically play in the future? That might make it easier to trim the GAS.
This is a really good way of looking at it. Can I convince myself it's the right way? Of course not :p

Sustainerplayer

On the edge of breakup
Where the hell is the fun in that???
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
First ... you get to buy one helluva expensive box.

Second ... there's more shit and way to combine it inside that box than you'll ever have on any board - no matter how much money you sink into it.

Third ... you will eventually start using more time playing and composing music than dick'ing around the internet looking for the next magical stomp box. (True story).

#4 - If number 3 doesn't come through then the Axe has plenty of I/O's so you continue to dream about - and buy more gear to pile on - and you can be on your merry way of not using your gear and perusing the infinite net for more goodies. (It was a phase I swear ... I'm back to making music again ... mostly ... partly ... -ish ...).

mirage2101

Hmm
I do have GAS, I like new toys. I like a new amp, I like a new headset or tv etc..

I don't have it with everything. I'm super happy with both my guitars and while I'll eventually add something I need to fall in love with a guitar and as long as I don't play any there's no problem.
Amps.. For years and years I've been happy with a blackstar ht5 until I decided to upgrade. That has been a long road but I'm very happy with my princeton and pedal setup. Getting a second amp with tubes to drive started another long road but I have learned.. This time I didn't buy anything I could'nt play and I only got what I loved.
Enter the katana which will eventually be home to the synergy system.

I recognize that no solution will solve GAS. I love shopping and comparing seeing how stuff works and the new thing will always be even better. I tried a pod500 and it wasn't even the quality of the sounds, but the fiddling with it became a goal in itself and got in the way of playing. But even a kemper won't stop me from shopping around.

On the other hand I don't BUY a lot. I love shopping and looking around but until I find something I completely and honestly love I don't need to buy it. As long as I try things I'm quite allright on the GAS front. Shopping is fun in itself. So I don't have a huge issue with it.

And that´s where the answer is for me. As long as I buy stuff that I really love, I´ll be happy. Sometimes with a couple of steps to learn what I love. My barbecue took 4 years and 3 steps to find out where I´m at. But it was a good way to approach it. I didn´t know 4 years ago how often I´d even use it. So no sense in starting with large expensive things.
Now I have a very large and expensive barbecue and I completely love it... so GAS solved..

SemiCullen

Still haven't got the hang of Thursdays
I like looking at all the pretty things, but I don't really feel GAS unless I identify a want/need in my setup. Of course, that's now. I was on a tremendous GAS binge until I found "the guitar." And then "the amp." And then "the bass." And by that I mean, the one that "feels right."

GAS, for me, is mainly a search for the thing satisfies that particular want/need. I realize that's an entirely subjective thing and could potentially result in a neverending search, but so far I've been pretty lucky.

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
Hmm

Now I have a very large and expensive barbecue and I completely love it... so GAS solved..
Is it a true BBQ or a GAS grill....:D see what I did there?

I don't even know if it is really GAS because I don't know what I want. I know the sound I want, but I don't know how to get it. Perhaps it would be easier if I take my own advice that I gave you once. I should get in my car and drive to Germany to Music Store or Musik Produktiv and just try as much gear as I can to see if that helps with the problem.

I used to work in a guitar store. Back then it was so easy. If I wanted to try something it was right there in front of me and I could try it. Now I work for a distributor. We have one brand of everything we sell. These brands are not my cup of tea and I can't compare them, because we have nothing else.

With videogames I decided to set a rule. If I don't think I will play it, I don't buy it. That has worked amazingly. I buy one awesome game at a time and play the hell out of it. I actually finished Breath of the Wild which is a long ass game. In the past I would buy a game, play a few hours, then buy a new game and forget all about the first one. By the time I get back to the first one, I would have forgotten what I was supposed to do, start over, get bored and proceed.

With electronics I really analyze if what I have is in need of replacing or if what I want actually brings something extra to the table which is useful.

Even with books, at the moment I have a stack of 5 books that I need to read in order to work on my future plans. Every other interesting book I find in a store I don't buy, because I won't read it within now and a few months anyway. Leave it. It will come later.

With guitars, twice I wrote all my wishes on paper and had it made, then had it adjusted slightly after playing for a bit. I would not change a thing on my custom Tele and Strat. Every time I see a cool guitar my first thought is 'that's awesome, and I would like to have one, but I still prefer my Strat'. That stops me buying anything.

The moral of the story is, I need to find something that makes me as happy and satisfied as my Strat does, and as my video games do and as all the other stuff I like do.

drittal

Nerd on the Prairie
It’s the thrill of the hunt. The tantalizing unknown.

I don’t find modelling amps/processors thrilling in the least. I end up with option paralysis. I tweak and tweak until it all sounds like shit and I hate myself for being sucked into the hype... AGAIN!

I am intrigued by preamp pedals and small pedal board amps and/or Cab simulators. But I don’t gig much, and when I do it’s usually my bass rig which is one amp portaflex amp, a 410, and a pedal. I’m 192cm and 17 stone and still young (or is it stubborn) enough not to be concerned much about weights of equipment.

***I should add the caveat that until the last couple years I played in a manner that more gain was more tone, there was one pickup position: bridge, and volume/tone pots were just about useless.***

SemiCullen

Still haven't got the hang of Thursdays
With amps, I've found I get most of my "unique" sounds from pedals. I got an amp with decent rhythm and lead channels, but I wind up not using them at all. This leads me to think I would probably be really happy with a Kemper or the like.
It’s the thrill of the hunt. The tantalizing unknown.

I don’t find modelling amps/processors thrilling in the least. I end up with option paralysis. I tweak and tweak until it all sounds like shit and I hate myself for being sucked into the hype... AGAIN!

I am intrigued by preamp pedals and small pedal board amps and/or Cab simulators. But I don’t gig much, and when I do it’s usually my bass rig which is one amp portaflex amp, a 410, and a pedal. I’m 192cm and 17 stone and still young (or is it stubborn) enough not to be concerned much about weights of equipment.

I LOVE to tweak, but I have that option paralysis problem as well. I'll spend way more time fucking around with settings than playing. That said, I don't have any problems with digital amps, etc. and would dig a Kemper. I just fear the tweak time.

drittal

Nerd on the Prairie
I wish I could be like I am with my bass stuff. I bought one nice bass, one backup, one amp and cab and I’ve been good to go. But I’ve never looked at a Bass and said, “oh my god! It’s beautiful! I must have it!” To my ears, one bass amp sounds like the next. I don’t get fancy.

Wade Garrett

I am the projectionist.
I've been through a lot of gas, some of it out of necessity and some out of pure want. I'm at a weird point now where there are still things I'd like to buy but then I end up thinking "what's the point". When I do actually get around to playing I always play the DC (no point buying another guitar when there are are already about 20 others sitting there doing nothing) and I hardly ever plug in (no point buying an amp because there's about 9 I hardly use already) which means no need for more fx (most of which are sitting on some shelves looking nice).

I had been skint for years so when I finally started making a bit more money I bought a fair bit of gear and enjoyed it. These days I think I don't care so much about buying stuff because I don't have an active band so I'm not searching for something that will do the thing I need for whatever band it was at the time. I've pretty much got most bases covered if I need them.

These days I'd rather have experiences than things but having said that the thing inside that says "there's something missing in your life" does trick me into buying more gear at times.

Honestly, if you take wanting new stuff out of the equation, that high of searching, I would be happy with my RG (sentimental reasons), DC (because it's what I play), Kemper/Helix/AxeFX (because they can supply every amp/effect sound you could ever need) and some kind of cab or full range job. It would certainly help me win back space at home although I think Kerry would kill me if I started selling off my gear!

Alan O'hagan

Hmmm been thinking about this one.
I reckon if you won the Lottery (like silly money) you'd probably have a blow out at some point and spend £100,000 on stuff, but after that you'd quickly get bored and there would be 1 or 2 goto guitar/ amps you always default to - just because they have that thing going on.

Back in the real world though,
The Helix really did calm my amp gas - I still find myself looking at Two Rocks and Mesa Lonestars but I really don't see myself getting one. Guitars are a different story altogther though and because its a very tactile thing (for me) I don't see any cure coming my way any time soon - It's a hobby, I enjoy it and that's all I need tbh.

AngusWolfe

Likes red things.
I just tell myself I can't afford the new thing because I want a Patrick James Eggle, even though I know I'll never be able to afford a Patrick James Eggle, If I tell myself I can one day, I then just think of all the very pretty Patrick James Eggles and GAS for anything else goes away.

Patrick James Eggle.