The "What pissed you off today" thread

johnniegoat

Stop, don’t, come back.
my employer is mainly known for printers, but we have loads of stuff in AI, locationing, robotics, etc going on

its always been the same - progress that was meant to make people work less, earn the same and enjoy life more appears to be used to just replace people

the main problem with replacing people is that AI and robots don't earn, so can't spend wages, thus keeping the economy ticking along

the companies who replace staff see themselves as individual snowflakes rather than part of the avalanche that will put paid for the economy

how we work with the people who have decided vaccination is bad, that will prove tricky. the term "herd immunity" has been thrown about a lot; more recently "community immunity"

it can only work with a proven vaccine. if a proportion of the population can be vaccinated, the rest don't need to be because the illness cannot gain a foothold. thresholds are different - WHO data suggests 95% population for measles=, whereas 80% for polio

i am sure the antivax people will say WHO are evil an din bed with Bill Gates or whatever and that if we all get sick, the survivors will be immune - which in the case of C19 appears utterly wrong. people who have recovered in china and HK have been reinfected, and data suggests that humans lose antibodies within 6 months

its a shit situation, and its exacerbated by - as you say - bad faith actors using peoples' naivety to manipulate them

sounds like your colleague has a good doctor :)

beer and talking is always good - and i can bring pizza ;)

IMG_20201121_175102043.jpg

One of the problems with labelling anyone who doesn't buy into the vaccine is that it covers a huge array of opinions. It's been this way for years, people that don't toe the official line get labelled "those conspiracy theory nutters"

I'm open to all information, it's just all information isn't open to me, at least not easily, nor generally reported on by mainstream media.
Two cases in point that I found this weekend.
This is one of the firms we are trusting to deliver a vaccine that forgoes the usual clinical trial process. (they've also been fined in the UK for dodgy practices.
BMJ shedding doubt on the accuracy of the bulk of current testing methods.

No, I don't believe 5G caused the virus, nor wear a tinfoil hat, yes I wear a facemask and sanitise my hands. Yes I appreciate it can be deadly in some cases and cause distress to many families. I'm just old and sceptical enough to not trust what is fed to me buy the government and the media.

One of the problems with labelling anyone who doesn't buy into the vaccine is that it covers a huge array of opinions. It's been this way for years, people that don't toe the official line get labelled "those conspiracy theory nutters"

I'm open to all information, it's just all information isn't open to me, at least not easily, nor generally reported on by mainstream media.
Two cases in point that I found this weekend.
This is one of the firms we are trusting to deliver a vaccine that forgoes the usual clinical trial process. (they've also been fined in the UK for dodgy practices.
BMJ shedding doubt on the accuracy of the bulk of current testing methods.

No, I don't believe 5G caused the virus, nor wear a tinfoil hat, yes I wear a facemask and sanitise my hands. Yes I appreciate it can be deadly in some cases and cause distress to many families. I'm just old and sceptical enough to not trust what is fed to me buy the government and the media.
and that’s fair.
My wife said she’d like an explanation about why the new vaccines can be approved so quickly and what risks that brings.

fair point. Completely different from “they’re injecting chips”

drittal

Nerd on the Prairie
how we work with the people who have decided vaccination is bad, that will prove tricky. the term "herd immunity" has been thrown about a lot; more recently "community immunity"

it can only work with a proven vaccine. if a proportion of the population can be vaccinated, the rest don't need to be because the illness cannot gain a foothold. thresholds are different - WHO data suggests 95% population for measles=, whereas 80% for polio
Bold by me.

You can also gain herd immunity to viruses that you develop antibodies to fight by catching and surviving. All signs point to once you catch this you develop antibodies and reinfect ion rates are very low, mostly in persons who were asymptomatic or very mild symptoms.

The problem with this means to herd immunity is obvious with this virus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnniegoat

Stop, don’t, come back.
@drittal

fair enough - in most cases of infectious nasties, the use of vaccination means no one has to catch it to create herd immunity. which in turn lowers the risk considerably

some people *do* have adverse reactions to vaccines. however, better to control the infection rate via vaccination

there are also studies showing that C19 antibodies don't stay round long, 6 months or so

and i totally agree - those claiming "herd immunity" via infection are risking the lives and long term health of countless people

Soap Distant

The Big Kahuna (again!)
In order to gain herd immunity, you have to contract Covid and, if you're lucky enough not to die, have to go through what my wife went through 4 weeks ago, and what I'm going through now.

Fuck leaving it to chance. Vaccinate. I'm 59 in February. If it wasn't for vaccines, myself and a great many people my age and older wouldn't be here now.

<edit> That's what y'all just said isn't it...sorry

johnniegoat

Stop, don’t, come back.
@Soap Distant

very true

in the olden days - not so olden in some cases - we (humans in the developed world) used to die or be effected for life from all kinds of things that are now almost - *almost* - vanished

but we still have things that are beyond our current capacity to control or eradicate

eg: i asked some colleagues who were keen on "C19 Parties" to create herd immunity would they like to try the same with HIV?

people too easily forget there was a harsh world before the rise of vaccines, anti biotics, easy access to soap and clean water, etc

41COwsuVveL._AC_.jpg

DrHankWanfordSnr

That's not new, its always been there.
In order to gain herd immunity, you have to contract Covid and, if you're lucky enough not to die, have to go through what my wife went through 4 weeks ago, and what I'm going through now.

Fuck leaving it to chance. Vaccinate. I'm 59 in February. If it wasn't for vaccines, myself and a great many people my age and older wouldn't be here now.

<edit> That's what y'all just said isn't it...sorry
Herd immunity. Is a term that needs to be properly explained as it's bandied around alot improperly . Its only gained when so many of the herd have antibodies to a disease - that an infective person only ever meets peeps with antibodies, and never meets an uninfected person without anti bodies. Normally we get this by vaccinating 99% of the population (pedants trotting out the Textbook percentage get an 'ignore') . For covid - without a vaccine that means letting the whole population get infected. Super fucking stupid idea.

With a widely applied vaccine we can get herd immunity. With lots of antivaxxers we get poor coverage and more of the peeps who can't be vaccinated or who over time express fewer antibodies* will be fucked.

*for some vaccinations your immunity / antibody titre can go down over time.

So it's been a fantastic holiday week since we instituted a zero-tolerance "no mask = no entry" policy. I've been threatened with getting my ass kicked, had my name taken by loudmouth Qarens to be added to their fantasy lawsuits, and been told to fuck myself every way imaginable by selfish, angry toddlers-in-adult-bodies who would rather screech about rights they don't understand than do the right thing for other people and just wear a simple fucking mask for 20 goddamn minutes. Oy.

Some dope actually flexed on me and another guy at work the other day, then thought better of it and scuttled out with his mullet between his legs. I tell ya, it's easy to hide a smile behind a mask, but the laughing still makes it through. :bounce: