The "What pissed you off today" thread

Chu

I had a massive allergic reaction that covered the whole of my body, head, arms and legs while on a site in north London yesterday and I'm not entirely sure what caused it.

Walked to the pharmacist who gave me some antihistamines but they didn't work so the pharmacist gave me an epi-pen. That worked.

Then went in a taxi to A&E but all was ok.

Today I'm just wiped out but should be back at work tomorrow.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk
I know that look.... I'm allergic to latex and second hand contact is sufficient. I get a bit tired of asking people to be a little careful. I'm not talking about strangers or whatever, but colleagues i work with every day. Like walking into my own office as they are blowing up balloons. Erm, dude. Whatever you now touch, if I touch anytime after I'll have a reaction. Each reaction gets worse and for my last i ended up in hospital, whilst I was at work. You'd think they'd be a little more careful!

The worst bit is the physical crash I get afterwards. Literally feel like in have nothing left to give, so even though I can control the reaction, my entire day is ruined.

drittal

Nerd on the Prairie
Thursday we found out our last IVF attempt didn't work out. That means we don't have frozen embryo's anymore. While we are allowed to do two more harvests we don't feel it'll add much. We're also really dreading the hormones that come with it.
In advance we decided if this batch didn't work we'd quit attempting to get pregnant and accept we won't have kids.

So the last couple of days we've been alternating between denial and feeling really sad. It's a cycle of a building headache, ending in a good cry and then a building headache again. I know this is a proces and it needs it's time. But it does feel bad.

On the bright moments we know that loads of people are happy without kids. And we do have some air castles we'd like to explore once we get through this. We will be allright. But at this point.. I'm mostly sad.

edit: Most people I tell about it don't know what to say. That's fine, I don't know what to say about it either. But telling about it makes it "real" and I need that right not to be able to accept what's happening.
I’m sorry to hear of your troubles. I have a few friends in the same boat. One of the couples turned to adoption after years of trying and finding out both of them are incapable they were able to navigate the adoption process and now have a family. I also have 3 cousins who are adopted. If you really want a family there are still ways. Best wishes to you moving forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chu

We had a lady not just "ignore" the massive "ROAD CLOSED" barriers, on a washed out road, but actually EXIT HER VEHICLE AND MOVE THEM OUT OF HER WAY, and then drive on through, and RIGHT on into the massive hole in the totally-collapsed road, and then, of course, she had to call the fire dept. and rescue squad to pull her out.
Some people are a different breed of stupid.
Ah... Road closed signs. I have frequently been putting out Road Closed signs only to be asked by a motorist ''Excuse me, can I get though?'. 'No, the road is closed.' 'But I need to get to <place>'.

One time, the guy stated I should have given them more warning. I replied 'I'll pass your feedback onto the motorcyclist who's lying in the road missing his legs'.

Idiots.

Chu

Frustrated. Can't get a recording I'm happy with. Just not able to get into the groove and everything's coming out flat and sloppy. I was in a good rhythm pretty much all of last year, and didn't do much during the holidays. The thing I did then was not very good.
Was working on something today and erased more takes than I'd care to know. Only reason I kept anything from all that time was because the core of the idea was good and I didn't want to forget it. Otherwise, shitsville.
I use a voice recorder app on my phone for capturing riffs and ideas. If you're not in the right frame when you record properly, tying hard only makes it worse.

@ssinine

Professional noodler
Why do people act like entitled pricks?! Was stood in an ATM room which is admittedly cramped. Random lady is bumping and jostling me while my card is in the machine while idiots standing behind me in line don't have the sense to make way for her. Then she starts mouthing off like I'm the one blocking her off.

Fuck you, lady. I'm not moving aside while I'm conducting a transaction. Find someone else to put up with your bullshit.
Nearly everyone behaves like they're fucking royalty these days!

I use a voice recorder app on my phone for capturing riffs and ideas. If you're not in the right frame when you record properly, tying hard only makes it worse.
Yeah, I have a handy quick recorder on my phone for capturing ideas, and that's all I'm going to bother with for a while. I'm gonna let things fester in my head for a bit. My new pedal comes Monday and that's gonna be a fun thing to just fiddle with. So maybe things will reset in my head and hands after another week or so.

EMM

I am the cat who walks by himself
Nope. Even better. She was in a large sedan.
She didn't even have the truck-based bravado that most people fall into. She was just a stubborn dope.
A rare breed then. Large saloon/sedan drivers seem to be the most sensible round here. The worst seem to be always in either a white van, a large SUV (or one of those useless fake ones) or a really riced-up hot hatch!

Magnus Pym

Grudges rot the soul
The new storm is kicking in here, it's promising 70mph winds and heavy rain.There was already a fair bit of water on the roads when I was on my way to work an hour and a half ago. The trip home tonight might be a bit interesting! Fingers crossed, we might close early if it gets really bad, we didn't open at all last Sunday.
Damn it, a filling fell out of my tooth!
Wow that Dennis was one hell of a storm.

ed lespaul

As I have stated annoyingly repeatedly, Hurricane Sandy is the gift that keeps on giving. For years, I thought that I had a box of guitar books in my attic. After cleaning out the attic and going through everything in there, the box doesn't exist. That means it was in the basement when the Atlantic Ocean payed a visit to my house, thus all the books, containing tabs from all 80's groups, including Pat Benetar, Def Leppard Hysteria, Dokken, Lynch Mob, etc. were lost over 7 years ago.

On the upside, I found a box of original Guitar For The Practicing Musician magazines as well as some programming mags. A bit musty, but in great shape. "When life gives you lemons, say 'fuck the lemons' and bail." :)

Chu

Got into disagreement online with someone about gear. My point was that there's a balance in finding good tone at home that translates equally well to band situations; that crafting something immense at home doesn't always work so well when a drummer and bass player join in.

His point was that nowadays, the bedroom sound was more important and it makes sense to have a high end amp, with multiple stacked drives at home and to approximate that live.

I'm all for using whatever you fancy, home or wherever but my brain will never accept that a bedroom guitarist has greater need for ultimate tone. It's a nice treat but honestly, I think I'm content with any old crap half the time at home! I reckon I split acoustic/unplugged electric 50/50 with using an amp at home.

ed lespaul

Got into disagreement online with someone about gear. My point was that there's a balance in finding good tone at home that translates equally well to band situations; that crafting something immense at home doesn't always work so well when a drummer and bass player join in.

His point was that nowadays, the bedroom sound was more important and it makes sense to have a high end amp, with multiple stacked drives at home and to approximate that live.

I'm all for using whatever you fancy, home or wherever but my brain will never accept that a bedroom guitarist has greater need for ultimate tone. It's a nice treat but honestly, I think I'm content with any old crap half the time at home! I reckon I split acoustic/unplugged electric 50/50 with using an amp at home.
There's a huge difference in the "great" home sound, and a recording/playing sound. Most of the time, a great sounding home sound, is scooped mids. It sounds fantastic, but when you play that sound in a recording or a band setting, you can get lost. A more mid-centric sound cuts through the mix. That's why people often using a tube screamer for leads, boosted mids, and tightened lows.

Chu

There's a huge difference in the "great" home sound, and a recording/playing sound. Most of the time, a great sounding home sound, is scooped mids. It sounds fantastic, but when you play that sound in a recording or a band setting, you can get lost. A more mid-centric sound cuts through the mix. That's why people often using a tube screamer for leads, boosted mids, and tightened lows.
100% agree.

I'd suggested to a newer player that expensive delays, reverbs, effects and amps can be a little overrated in their usefulness and that you can't really hear much once the drummer kicks in. And whilst good gear can really help you sound good live, there's a point where you're chasing pointless margins.

He essentially agreed but stated that a simple Boss delay/reverb pedal was fine for live use but hopeless at home; where stuff like Strymons and other pro level gear becomes practically essential.

I get how nice gear helps inspire playing but if the playing is just to muck around with fancy effects without any purpose, I'm afraid I can't help but see it purely as a rich man's toy. Which again is fine but you can't try to persuade others that it's essential.

I liken it to buying a pro level golf putter to knock golf balls into a overturned mug on the floor of your lounge. Do what you like with your money but don't preach about how essential your £500 club is to enjoying the little game at home AND acknowledge that it's not at all needed to play on a proper course.

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
I'm at the office questioning if I made the right decision to even come. I seem to have caught something and I feel like hell. Maybe I should have stayed in bed.

mirage2101

100% agree.

I'd suggested to a newer player that expensive delays, reverbs, effects and amps can be a little overrated in their usefulness and that you can't really hear much once the drummer kicks in. And whilst good gear can really help you sound good live, there's a point where you're chasing pointless margins.

He essentially agreed but stated that a simple Boss delay/reverb pedal was fine for live use but hopeless at home; where stuff like Strymons and other pro level gear becomes practically essential.

I get how nice gear helps inspire playing but if the playing is just to muck around with fancy effects without any purpose, I'm afraid I can't help but see it purely as a rich man's toy. Which again is fine but you can't try to persuade others that it's essential.

I liken it to buying a pro level golf putter to knock golf balls into a overturned mug on the floor of your lounge. Do what you like with your money but don't preach about how essential your £500 club is to enjoying the little game at home AND acknowledge that it's not at all needed to play on a proper course.

I don't agree expensive gear is essential in any way. If I'd be on a strict budget I'd probably be playing a katana100 with some sort of mim strat and changed pickups.
But...

A better guitar does make a difference. I'd rather have one great guitar that challenges me and frees me then 3 ok ones. The difference better guitars made for my playing can't be underestimated. Sure Steve Vai can make a hello kitty guitar sound great. But it's not the best guitar to learn subtle playing on.
A good amp add to enjoyment of your playing. You won't catch me saying I need a Mark V. But by god do I love the sounds coming from it. And again because it's so transparent it shows flaws in my playing and challenges me to play better. Amps are a bit difficult in the way that you're not just talking about a good amp, but also an amp matching the situation. Low home volumes have different requirements from studio or stage play.
Having the wrong amp for your situation can definately make you very unhappy.

Pedals are difficult. I think at home a boss DD7 is a great pedal. In hindsight I shoul've bought a simpler one. My first boost/OD pedal was a Jekyll&hyde and to be honest I didn't know what to do with it. And that's the thing about pedals. You need to start simple and learn what they do. Get the most out of what you have and then take another step. You often hear people saying they're only using 2% of gear X but that one tone is so great. I think that's a shame. If you're argueing you NEED a strymon timeline at home something strange is going on. You can argue you'd need 4 specific pedals to do that one sound. You can argue it is a great unit and cheaper then doing the effects apart. or that it helps you create. But saying you need gear of that price level to sound good at home means you're doing something wrong.

But as you all know I enjoy toys as much as the next guy and I'm as guilty of buying stuff that's insane for my home playing.