The "What pissed you off today" thread

EMM

I am the cat who walks by himself
This pisses me off because of a completely other reason.
"Bosses" like this give management a bad name. Good management is needed to make a company work. More for some then for others but generally speaking.
I work my ass off every day to make sure my people can do their work, have what they need, are doing the right things, get their coaching, get their courses, are protected when customers are unreasonable, keep upper management off their backs when they're pissed about something little, argue with upper management that I really need more people when the workload gets too high etc. And that's only half my job because I need to make sure we're doing the right things in the actual work too. I have to judge plans, give permission to break security standards, make up those same standards..
And as soon as I tell people I'm manager at an IT company the first thing people say is "oh so you weren't fit for another job" "oh that must be nice to be able to have others do all the work for you" "All your incompetence finally payed off"
It's gotten so far that I generally say I'm fleet manager when I first meet people to avoid the discussion about both IT and management.

I fully agree that there are people who shouldnt have made management. That someone is good at his job doesn't make him a good fit for management. Just having the money to start a company doesn't make you a good manager. But generally managers and bosses in any form or shape are hard working people who want the best for their teams and company.
Good on you, more managers should be like that, instead of swanning about with a clipboard in their hand pretending to work, gossiping and whinging at employees that are’nt their favourites.

Female Micro-managers seem to be the worst at this (not to sound sexist, but its true). I have seen more Female on Male bullying at work than anything else. Slander, gossip, singling out faves, the whole nine yards. I don’t know what it is about them, I guess they like the empowerment and the feeling of being a Matriarch (albeit not a very good example of one).

drittal

Nerd on the Prairie
I’m a vendor. I sell to about a dozen accounts over a 120mile radius. I work out of a small satellite terminal with 2 co-workers, and we each have out own routes.

It chaps my backside a little when a customer expects you to put all other responsibilities second to their demands and expect you to thank them for it. A larger terminal could handle this without much ado, but here we are having to bring a helper 215miles, pay meals, mileage, and lodging because I can’t meet the demands that day by myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Garythesnail

This pisses me off because of a completely other reason.
"Bosses" like this give management a bad name. Good management is needed to make a company work. More for some then for others but generally speaking.
I work my ass off every day to make sure my people can do their work, have what they need, are doing the right things, get their coaching, get their courses, are protected when customers are unreasonable, keep upper management off their backs when they're pissed about something little, argue with upper management that I really need more people when the workload gets too high etc. And that's only half my job because I need to make sure we're doing the right things in the actual work too. I have to judge plans, give permission to break security standards, make up those same standards..
And as soon as I tell people I'm manager at an IT company the first thing people say is "oh so you weren't fit for another job" "oh that must be nice to be able to have others do all the work for you" "All your incompetence finally payed off"
It's gotten so far that I generally say I'm fleet manager when I first meet people to avoid the discussion about both IT and management.

I fully agree that there are people who shouldnt have made management. That someone is good at his job doesn't make him a good fit for management. Just having the money to start a company doesn't make you a good manager. But generally managers and bosses in any form or shape are hard working people who want the best for their teams and company.
Floodgates opened there - excellent quality mini-rant with many a good point made.

I work for an SME, running two or three building sites, so only small-fry, lower management but still have a good number of individuals supporting me to get projects to progress as planned. I try to give them what they need to do that.

As a general approach I try to perpetuate a 'whole team' approach and when 'good stuff' happens it's because the guys at the work-face have done (because it usually is) and and 'failure' as my responsibility - probably because I didn't organise stuff far enough in advance and didn't give them what they needed - tools/materials/working environment/plant hire or whatever.

A lot of my time seems to be spent as a therapist or mediator on issues of wages, holiday entitlement, general bitching and moaning. By and large, they're a good bunch of guys'n'girls and, between us, we get it done. It does sometimes feel I'm dealing with a bunch of toddlers but then I remind myself of how I can sometimes throw my toys out of the pram too. All about a reasonable bit of give and take.

mirage2101

Floodgates opened there - excellent quality mini-rant with many a good point made.

I work for an SME, running two or three building sites, so only small-fry, lower management but still have a good number of individuals supporting me to get projects to progress as planned. I try to give them what they need to do that.

As a general approach I try to perpetuate a 'whole team' approach and when 'good stuff' happens it's because the guys at the work-face have done (because it usually is) and and 'failure' as my responsibility - probably because I didn't organise stuff far enough in advance and didn't give them what they needed - tools/materials/working environment/plant hire or whatever.

A lot of my time seems to be spent as a therapist or mediator on issues of wages, holiday entitlement, general bitching and moaning. By and large, they're a good bunch of guys'n'girls and, between us, we get it done. It does sometimes feel I'm dealing with a bunch of toddlers but then I remind myself of how I can sometimes throw my toys out of the pram too. All about a reasonable bit of give and take.
yeah it did turn into a rant for a bit there :)

I recognize the mediator/therapist/coach part. But you know what? I feel so privileged that those guys trust me with all their woes.. I’ve had everything from wives with brain tumors who went on to get cured but then have an affair with the best man at the wedding, to people being over the moon with their new kid, with someone crying because his grandpa of 90 died and didn’t play Santa this christmas and left a huge hole in the family.
I mean I love tech and I’m a great engineer. But when people trust me with that stuff and they come back to thank me for the talk. That’s what makes my day.

One thing I love what we do at team meetings, we talk about our fuckups. And our CEO starts then senior management, me, and then the guys. And we start simply because our mistakes are more expensive or have a higher impact.
Its way to easy to believe in your own myth of how good you are so sharing your mistakes and having others learn and laugh from them is a great thing.

I love my job.

*im not sure what my point is anymore :)

Felix

Addicted to Grunge
I had to speak to a GP face to face today, as I take a large number of controlled opiates to manage my spinal pain. I had to wait 30 mins past my appointment time before I could then go in and go over everything involving my family moving from Oxford to Hereford. After managing to spend an hour sat in really bad chairs (sitting in/on chairs gets very painful for me after 10-15 mins) , I get out to the carpark and a totally fucktard had parked in the middle of the access lane between the rows of parking spots. I was totally stuck in my space and I ended up having to go back in the surgery, standing for 20 mins to report the idiot and get the GP to do a mass text message to all patients currently at the practice.

It was a pair of dithery old folks who had parked like that. When I asked them why on earth would they park like that, as they blocked 3 people in and 2 people who got out (due to reversing into the parking bays) meant there were two empty slots that no one else could get in to. They then had the nerve to try and have a go at me, as someone as young like me has no need to be using the carpark, as I am fit and healthy. I went into my car and pulled out my repeat drugs list and told them to look at the list of drugs I have to take. I asked them how many pills do they have to take each just so the pain is bearable? I was starting to see red at these two, but because it has been drilled into me since I was little to respect old people, I refrained from choking the bloody idiots. I don't like confrontation and in recent years, I struggle with crowds really badly on my own. There were people backed up trying to get into the carpark and there were 3 of us waiting to get out. I was worried I was going to get attacked by all these angry drivers, for having a go at these idiots. Nope, they all started telling these rude old gits off for their attitude towards me and the stupidity of both going into the practice, knowing full well how long it takes to even get logged in.

By the time they moved, my back was screaming and I was unable to complete the last of my errands I wanted to do. My folks were stunned when I got back, as when I get overstressed or worse seething with anger, my back starts to lock up causing massive amounts of extra pain.If it was not for me being on my really strong meds, I would have needed to call my folks to drive me home!

Wade Garrett

I am the projectionist.
This week has been extra stressful for Kerry, she's not really over the shit that went on a while back (I can't remember if I mentioned anything) so the amount of stuff that's hit this week really has me worried it's going to be too much for her. I wish I could explain what's going on but it involves too many people and several very serious situations that I can't really talk about. She's not a happy camper.

I'm going to take to Chester for a day out tomorrow to see if I can take her mind off things for a bit.

Garythesnail

It is, isn't it?

talk about our fuckups.
This is familiar - I've always been open whenever I've dropped a bollock. It's how I've been raised, how I was taught. I've always had access to good people in a work situation and we end up sorting the problem out more quickly if the team knows about it.

not sure what my point is anymore :)
An excellent one about how people should treat each other.

Wuzza

long time lurker
yeah it did turn into a rant for a bit there :)

I recognize the mediator/therapist/coach part. But you know what? I feel so privileged that those guys trust me with all their woes.. I’ve had everything from wives with brain tumors who went on to get cured but then have an affair with the best man at the wedding, to people being over the moon with their new kid, with someone crying because his grandpa of 90 died and didn’t play Santa this christmas and left a huge hole in the family.
I mean I love tech and I’m a great engineer. But when people trust me with that stuff and they come back to thank me for the talk. That’s what makes my day.
Sometimes staff need to get things "off their chest" Talking about personal stuff at work can be therapeutic, as you (generally) wont have any personal connection to whatever it is they are going through, and often if you just acknowledge what they are going through can be really beneficial. I know as I've had many heart-to-hearts in my current job with my last two bosses (who fortunately I've really got on with and there has always been a mutual respect between us, which is seemingly pretty rare nowadays) Giving up 10/15 minutes can really make a difference.
If people can come to you with such things, you are doing things right. :)

For a different take, while I was in a different dept at the same company, I asked to leave early as my Dad had come off his motorbike, had been taken to hospital and we didn't know what had happened. I got the response "well X has already asked to go early (his partner had gallstones) and I don't thing we can let you...….. (learnt he was ok before my shift ended, but yeah, like I cared about your fucking warehouse at the time..)