The "What pissed you off today" thread

Not worth spending a disproportionate sum of money on the basis of "better the devil you know"?
I’ve stretched it long enough. I would go well around 3k in the next two years with regular maintenence like tires, brakes next to the necessary repairs for our version of the MOT. Seriously considered it though

Soap Distant

The Big Kahuna (again!)
Well - it's not. It's a high perfomance mobile computer. The phone part of it is indifferent when considering its other capacities.

And yes - it's exorbitant expensive.
I've just bought a new phone. I love my Huawei P10 Lite, but we're off to Hawaii for a few weeks in November, and having gone from a semi-pro DSLR with battery grip and a bag full of lenses, down to a high end bridge camera, and still hating having to carry a camera around, I decided to buy a phone with the best camera I could find.

I bought a Huawei P20 from Argos for £350 (not the Pro, I wanted something that was the same size as my P10, and the P20 has the same camera) with the Leica lenses. The image quality is superb, the night shot and aperture features are fantastic, and the panoramic pictures are perfect. Oh yeah, and the slow-mo videos are huge fun.

When we were in Peru and Easter Island, despite having my camera slung over my shoulder, I'd reach into my pocket and use my phone instead. Apart from the 600mm equivalent zoom on my camera, I'm not going to miss it. It's staying at home.

Unless you're an Apple fanboi, there's no reason to have your trousers pulled down by the ghost of Hippy Jesus. If you still insist on spending silly money, buy a Huawei P30.

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
No-one's bought my beast yet. And there's only 2 days until the strat I want finishes on ebay :banghead:
Don't give up! I've spent 2 months trying to sell an amp and a pedal. Nothing. Some offers, most of them BS. Then all of the sudden Sunday I woke up with an offer for the amp, sold and paid the same day and the next day the pedal was also sold. Second hand markets are weird.

On my side...the thing I did is delayed. Now the ETA is in November. Damnit...

JayXanderB

Superstrat Superstar
Don't give up! I've spent 2 months trying to sell an amp and a pedal. Nothing. Some offers, most of them BS. Then all of the sudden Sunday I woke up with an offer for the amp, sold and paid the same day and the next day the pedal was also sold. Second hand markets are weird.

On my side...the thing I did is delayed. Now the ETA is in November. Damnit...
I have listed it everywhere I can, eBay, Facebook, instagram, Reverb hell even Gumtree! It's dire...

mirage2101

I have listed it everywhere I can, eBay, Facebook, instagram, Reverb hell even Gumtree! It's dire...
It took me 4 weeks to sell a katana head. One of the most popular amps of the last couple of years priced at slightly over 2/3rds of the new price. Never left my house.. I got a lot of people complaining it was too expensive. Second hand markets are weird.

Unless you're an Apple fanboi, there's no reason to have your trousers pulled down by the ghost of Hippy Jesus. If you still insist on spending silly money, buy a Huawei P30.
Degrading iPhone users to fans is simplistic. I have yet to be disappointed by my reliable and dependable Apple products. Others around me with other brands swap phones in a steady 2 year cycles while I could still happily handle my 6S and it works perfect to this day, no trouble whatsoever other than the logical battery wear.

I don’t say Apple is superior. It’s all apples and oranges and some people like one over the other.

I'm the only member of the family without an iphone. They seem to get good service and use from them (apart from my son but that's more down to his inheritance of the clumsy-gene than anything to do with the phone) and have all bought in to the whole Apple ecosystem.

I am dumb and keep stumping up for the Samsung's Note phones - 3, 4 and now have an 8 that's nearly two years old and is still sharp. I'm still using my old Note 4 with a SIM card from my employer.

I won't be going to a 10 because they've stopped using a 1/8" headphone jack. Apple did this to make the phone 'slimmer' - the iPhone 11 now has protruding camera lenses making the phone fatter again. This winds me up - merely a device to sell something else we don't need (I do see the attraction of the wireless bud-things though). Maybe it's more to do with them being stupidly expensive.

Grump over.

drittal

Nerd on the Prairie
Vaping has claimed the lives of six people and the Trump administration has just levied a ban on flavored vape juices...

...and yet cigarettes that kill 1,300 people every day in the US are completely legal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JayXanderB

Superstrat Superstar
It took me 4 weeks to sell a katana head. One of the most popular amps of the last couple of years priced at slightly over 2/3rds of the new price. Never left my house.. I got a lot of people complaining it was too expensive. Second hand markets are weird.
I'm seriously considering stripping it for parts then smashing the jebus out of it. (I may have had a drink at this point after a bad day got worse so takenwith a pinch of salt)

Vaping has claimed the lives of six people and the Trump administration has just levied a ban on flavored vape juices...

...and yet cigarettes that kill 1,300 people every day in the US are completely legal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Geez, talk about a nanny state. :p

Vapists haven't been around long enough to weave themselves into the pockets of generations of legislators for protection. It was a simple thing to do that'll amount to nothing really. But it wins them a news cycle. So there's that. ;)

Soap Distant

The Big Kahuna (again!)
Geez, talk about a nanny state. :p

Vapists haven't been around long enough to weave themselves into the pockets of generations of legislators for protection. It was a simple thing to do that'll amount to nothing really. But it wins them a news cycle. So there's that. ;)
If only the industry had a vaping advocacy group that would pretend to act on behalf of vape owners, but would in actual fact be a lobbying group for the vape juice manufacturers, bribing and pressuring highly placed officials and politicians to further their cause.

They could call it the National Respiration Association

ed lespaul

Nothing is certain except death and taxes. Now all sites are collecting taxes on all transactions. Before this ruling, stores needed to collect taxes in states where they had stores, resided, etc. At face value this seems logical, since companies need to pay state taxes in the state they are located, since it's the same as if they sell it to someone in their store.

This ruling means that you pay state taxes based on your location, not the store's location. So, the same item will not be the same price for people in one state to another. For example, NY sales tax is 8.875%. So, a $100 item will cost me $108.88. That same item will cost someone in New Hampshire $100, since they don't have sales tax in NH.

But, if I was in the location of that store, and bought the item, I would pay the tax rate of the location of that store. If I buy it in NY, I pay 8.875%. If I buy it in some parts of NJ, I pay 2% sales tax. Since it's online, I pay my state's (insanely high) sales tax, instead of the stores sales tax rate.

On some level, I can even deal with that.......for new items. But they are collecting taxes for EVERY transaction. So, a piece of gear that was charged sales tax during the original purchase, is also charged sales tax on every subsequent sale as a USED product. If this item is sold multiple times, each person pays that sales tax. For an item that changes hands several times, the taxes paid on that item might exceed the original cost of the item.

This practice if getting every dime possible, then spending it frivolously, is really getting old.