The "What pissed you off today" thread

mirage2101

Lacking funds. Require job.
Not lacking anxiety or depression. Can't find or even imagine a job that will allow me to cope with aforementioned problems.
Just want to work on guitars and teach people things about them (and other topics). No one pays for those things, apparently.
How about archery? Anyone want to learn some archery? No? Go screw myself? Right.
Where are those people that make money like, selling pine cones online? I need to have a word with them about this potential market.

Translation: Feeling hopelessly jobless, skill-less, and generally useless. Need to turn hobby or mediocre talent into income. Cannot seem to do so.

Did I mention the insomnia (or whatever undiagnosed BS prevents me from sleeping or resting)? That's not helping. That can screw right off.

That hurt me, quite a bit, just reading about it, on the news. I didn't even see the crash happen.
That beyond sucked.
That sounds like a burnout man.. which would also account for the sleep problems. If it’s an option within your healthcare plan I would fully recommend therapy. It’s not a miracle cure and going to cost a lot of time and energy but it’ll be time and energy well spend.

Once you get out of that pit a job will be much easier to find. If it’s teaching guitar related things? There is a living in that. The question is how to find your customers because they are out there.

I have ideas on both but I’m an engineer in IT. My claim to fame is that I’ve worked my way up to management and coach people. But I do so out of experience and common sense. No formal training. I have seen people in your situation including my wife. I’ve also been heavily involved in product development and how to market but again no formal training. So I’ll happily brainstorm with you but take my advice with a pinch of salt.

That gp2 crash was outright horrible. I’ve seen the footage and it turned my stomach. Nothing will protect you if you’re getting hit with 280 from the side. I hope the second car was damaged or dragging a front wing along because if it was a conscious choice to drive on the runoff full throttle that driver will never forgive himself.

Wade Garrett

I am the projectionist.
Lacking funds. Require job.
Not lacking anxiety or depression. Can't find or even imagine a job that will allow me to cope with aforementioned problems.
Just want to work on guitars and teach people things about them (and other topics). No one pays for those things, apparently.
How about archery? Anyone want to learn some archery? No? Go screw myself? Right.
Where are those people that make money like, selling pine cones online? I need to have a word with them about this potential market.

Translation: Feeling hopelessly jobless, skill-less, and generally useless. Need to turn hobby or mediocre talent into income. Cannot seem to do so.

Did I mention the insomnia (or whatever undiagnosed BS prevents me from sleeping or resting)? That's not helping. That can screw right off.

That hurt me, quite a bit, just reading about it, on the news. I didn't even see the crash happen.
That beyond sucked.
Hang in there bud.

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
That sounds like a burnout man.. which would also account for the sleep problems. If it’s an option within your healthcare plan I would fully recommend therapy. It’s not a miracle cure and going to cost a lot of time and energy but it’ll be time and energy well spend.

Once you get out of that pit a job will be much easier to find. If it’s teaching guitar related things? There is a living in that. The question is how to find your customers because they are out there.

I have ideas on both but I’m an engineer in IT. My claim to fame is that I’ve worked my way up to management and coach people. But I do so out of experience and common sense. No formal training. I have seen people in your situation including my wife. I’ve also been heavily involved in product development and how to market but again no formal training. So I’ll happily brainstorm with you but take my advice with a pinch of salt.
This! And also, sometimes the best way to get what you want is to just ask. I remember I was in a rut about 10 years ago. I had just lost my job and was thinking about giving University one more shot or just call it quits and get a dead end job to pay the pills. I got to the point where I got the dead end job. All I had to do is say Yes. I said no and applied for University. To help pay the bills, I did need a job on the side, though. One day I joined a friend to visit a local guitar store. We got to talking and I mentioned my job search. Got offered a part time job in the guitar shop. In the end I worked there for 6 years, 2 of which I ran the guitar department after finishing University and now I'm still in MI, doing marketing, sales and some artist relations. All I ever did was ask for opportunities. You hear no 9 times, but the tenth time might be the yes you were waiting for.

I don't know if that helps. There really is a lot of work in MI. Have you ever considered checking if guitar distributors in your area need QC staff, or maybe guitar shops who need guys on the floor. I know there's lots of shops in my area that combine teaching and sales. Maybe visit a local music school and see if there's interest in a course you could teach. I've considered doing workshops for gear and how to use it to young guitar players. I would have loved something like that as a teen starting out.

That gp2 crash was outright horrible. I’ve seen the footage and it turned my stomach. Nothing will protect you if you’re getting hit with 280 from the side. I hope the second car was damaged or dragging a front wing along because if it was a conscious choice to drive on the runoff full throttle that driver will never forgive himself.
There's not really any clear footage on why the second car was where he was. My feeling is that he was avoiding a spin in front of him, but going up from Eau Rouge to Radillon, it's a blind corner. I was watching the onboards during the F1 race yesterday. F2 is going 280km/h up that hill and you can't see shit of what's going on up there. Once you can, you have a split second to react. The spot where Hubert went into the tire barrier is very close to the top of the hill. I do think something can be gained from moving that wall back. Right now, cars have a tendency to bounce back onto the track when the crash into it, which is what happened to Hubert before getting T-boned.

mirage2101

There's not really any clear footage on why the second car was where he was. My feeling is that he was avoiding a spin in front of him, but going up from Eau Rouge to Radillon, it's a blind corner. I was watching the onboards during the F1 race yesterday. F2 is going 280km/h up that hill and you can't see shit of what's going on up there. Once you can, you have a split second to react. The spot where Hubert went into the tire barrier is very close to the top of the hill. I do think something can be gained from moving that wall back. Right now, cars have a tendency to bounce back onto the track when the crash into it, which is what happened to Hubert before getting T-boned.
I noticed how blind it is with the onboard F1 footage. There was no way to see it coming. My only question is why someone would keep on the throttle when on a runoff piece. You shouldn't be going 280 when you're not on the track. Especially with chaos and smoke all around.

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
I noticed how blind it is with the onboard F1 footage. There was no way to see it coming. My only question is why someone would keep on the throttle when on a runoff piece. You shouldn't be going 280 when you're not on the track. Especially with chaos and smoke all around.
Reaction time too slow, misjudgment of how quick Hubert's car bounced back. It really is very fast and very blind. Hard to say. There's no on board footage from the second car. We don't know how fast he was really going. Maybe he had already lifted. Don't forget, there were 2 other cars involved as well that he had to avoid. Those 2 walked away uninjured. It's just a very difficult situation. And lastly, let's not forget, the second car's driver is only 20 years old. He's inexperienced. Maybe he panicked, or maybe his first reaction was to quickly drive by in stead of break. I remember Romain Grosjean in a panic during a spin hitting full throttle in stead of breaking. That was stupid, but it was his first instinct.

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
I found a clip at this link https://www.gpfans.com/nl/artikelen...n-van-sean-gelael-tijdens-horrorcrash-hubert/

Apparently the Halo saved Gelael's life. But most importantly, you can see the second car in the background already smoking. It looks to me like he's hitting the breaks full on, but was going to fast to stop sooner. It seems like he's already locked up and sliding forward.

@mirage2101 @Tankman
A driver in front of Hubert lost control in(to) Eau Rouge (not sure if this was Alesi), semi caught it but forcing Hubert to take evasive action into Raidillon. Hubert probably and logically lost it in there (200+ uphill and diverting from practically the only available line in that corner at that speed) and went into the barriers; so far so good.

Hubert then bounced back onto the ideal racing line which is slightly more right than the exit of Raidillon would be, because there is a very slightly turn right onto the Kemmel Straight. You want as short an straight as possible to minimise distance and scrub as little straight line speed.

In all it’s a very unfortunate chain reaction accident with horrible consequences but not really anybody’s fault. It’s a dangerous sport and we hate to see people die, but it’s always riding along onboard.

mirage2101

@mirage2101 @Tankman
A driver in front of Hubert lost control in(to) Eau Rouge (not sure if this was Alesi), semi caught it but forcing Hubert to take evasive action into Raidillon. Hubert probably and logically lost it in there (200+ uphill and diverting from practically the only available line in that corner at that speed) and went into the barriers; so far so good.

Hubert then bounced back onto the ideal racing line which is slightly more right than the exit of Raidillon would be, because there is a very slightly turn right onto the Kemmel Straight. You want as short an straight as possible to minimise distance and scrub as little straight line speed.

In all it’s a very unfortunate chain reaction accident with horrible consequences but not really anybody’s fault. It’s a dangerous sport and we hate to see people die, but it’s always riding along onboard.
Hubert wasn’t on the racing line after the bounce, he wasn’t even on the track. He was still to the right of the kerbstones on a piece of runoff tarmac. And that was where he was hit.

By the time events were happening as they did nobody could prevent anything anymore.
Choices were made about lines and where to do and after they pretty much everybody was a passenger of their car.

Hubert wasn’t on the racing line after the bounce, he wasn’t even on the track. He was still to the right of the kerbstones on a piece of runoff tarmac. And that was where he was hit.

By the time events were happening as they did nobody could prevent anything anymore.
Choices were made about lines and where to do and after they pretty much everybody was a passenger of their car.
I said he bounced back onto. He wasn’t on the track at the moment of impact but his nose was close enough to the kerb to intervene with an ideal line through Raidillon onto Kemmel. Even if Correa would have followed that line, they would still have collided. Unavoidable tragedy is all I’m saying.

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck

I said he bounced back onto. He wasn’t on the track at the moment of impact but his nose was close enough to the kerb to intervene with an ideal line through Raidillon onto Kemmel. Even if Correa would have followed that line, they would still have collided. Unavoidable tragedy is all I’m saying.
I finally found a good and logical analysis of the situation. So first off, Alesi lost in going through Eau Rouge. He hit the wall on the left and bounced back onto the track. Boschung went off track to the right to avoid hitting Alesi. Hubert was right behind him. At some point it seemed like Alesi would be sliding into Boschung, but he was able to save it. Boschung however braked with Hubert right on his tail. Hubert could not avoid him and rearended him resulting in a broken front wing. At thin point Hubert was a passenger in his car which went crashing into the wall after which he bounced back to left, but not on the track yet. Correa was behind them and punctured his right rear tire, which made steering at that speed impossible for him. This and the fact that he was also trying to avoid crashing into Alesi and Boschung caused him to crash into Hubert.

Now one more crucial bit of info is that a Formula car is designed to take one hit. Hubert already took one massive hit before Correa crashed into him. This means that the car probably couldn't protect as much as it could have if it was still in tact. This really was the perfect storm of unfortunate events.

Now one more crucial bit of info is that a Formula car is designed to take one hit. Hubert already took one massive hit before Correa crashed into him. This means that the car probably couldn't protect as much as it could have if it was still in tact. This really was the perfect storm of unfortunate events.
Agreed. About the crash impact and such, I think the ‘problem’ is the monocoque is designed to withstand super terribly high forces or even slightly ‘decreasing’ forces. So one 300+ KP/H impact and then anything after should not obliterate the monocoque.

Obviously the problem here was the second high impact and judging from the limited footage I’d say the car withstood that impact. It’s designed to break in ‘two’ parts with the engine and gearbox completely off. The ‘trouble’ is the human inside cannot be protected as well and I’d guess the result of impact after impact is just hugely scrambled insides. I’m very interested in the results of an investigation from a safety point of view. I seriously cannot imagine even tougher cars, but would love to be proved wrong, also in relation to their eventual translation to road safety!

Felix

Addicted to Grunge
Yesterday morning, one of my good buddies who moved away from Oxford got in touch with me and it was not with good news, which then got worse.

Last Friday, my friend Mitch flipped his car and was in ICU on life support. They were going to turn his machine off and Tom wanted to make sure I knew about it, as he noticed I had not been on FaceBook. After chatting for 10 mins, he then asked me if I heard about another mutal friend Bryan. At the end of July, Bryan took his own life and has left many of us in shock, as Bryan was always one of the happiest/laid back people we knew. He left no note, so the reasons behind his actions are unknown.

Bryan worked at the hospital by me, in the physio department. He was one of the staff who was teaching me and 9 others during 3 weeks on a pain managment course. When we would stop for lunch, Bryan and I would sit down and catch up, as we'd been friends since our mid 20's in '05.

I am in a special "What's App" group with the other members from the pain management course and I had to tell them about him. They all were really saddened by this news.

Mitch is now off life support and has been able to breath on his own, but sadly he is now slowly slipping away. I almost found it all too much today and was really close to going out and scoring a load of coke, so I could just go so messed up, that I could feel numb. I've been clean/sober for 7 years now, but never in all that time had I wanted to go back and fuck my life up again. I had my good friend, who is my guitar buddy come over this evening and has helped me manage with the situation. He also knew Bryan and only learned about his suicide this afternoon from me. As a member of staff at the same hospital that both Bryan and I use to work at, he had not seen any internal emails letting people know Bryan is no longer with us.

Wade Garrett

I am the projectionist.
Yesterday morning, one of my good buddies who moved away from Oxford got in touch with me and it was not with good news, which then got worse.

Last Friday, my friend Mitch flipped his car and was in ICU on life support. They were going to turn his machine off and Tom wanted to make sure I knew about it, as he noticed I had not been on FaceBook. After chatting for 10 mins, he then asked me if I heard about another mutal friend Bryan. At the end of July, Bryan took his own life and has left many of us in shock, as Bryan was always one of the happiest/laid back people we knew. He left no note, so the reasons behind his actions are unknown.

Bryan worked at the hospital by me, in the physio department. He was one of the staff who was teaching me and 9 others during 3 weeks on a pain managment course. When we would stop for lunch, Bryan and I would sit down and catch up, as we'd been friends since our mid 20's in '05.

I am in a special "What's App" group with the other members from the pain management course and I had to tell them about him. They all were really saddened by this news.

Mitch is now off life support and has been able to breath on his own, but sadly he is now slowly slipping away. I almost found it all too much today and was really close to going out and scoring a load of coke, so I could just go so messed up, that I could feel numb. I've been clean/sober for 7 years now, but never in all that time had I wanted to go back and fuck my life up again. I had my good friend, who is my guitar buddy come over this evening and has helped me manage with the situation. He also knew Bryan and only learned about his suicide this afternoon from me. As a member of staff at the same hospital that both Bryan and I use to work at, he had not seen any internal emails letting people know Bryan is no longer with us.
I wish I had the words to help you feel better mate, I'm really sorry to hear this.

everfreetree

I... I like trees.

I've learned from experience that good friends will almost always help you fight through things like that, even when you don't want to.
I'm sorry to hear about your friends, but I'm very glad to hear you have good support from someone nearby.

Stay strong and stay safe, bud.