The "What pissed you off today" thread

Soap Distant

The Big Kahuna (again!)
I've been wondering why the big 120 Watt Peavey heads are so cheap nowadays. I remember the 6505 always being about €1200 and the 6505+ about €1500. They are now both under €900. Musik Produktiv even lists them at €820. That's a steel..until I noticed something. The production has moved to CHINA! WHYYYY. These were Made in USA Tanks. I do hope the sound and quality will remain good.
I've driven plenty of American cars. Being built in America is a long way from a guarantee of quality.

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
I've driven plenty of American cars. Being built in America is a long way from a guarantee of quality.
Truth.

And being made in China is no longer a guarantee of shoddy craftsmanship.
Well, yeah, I know that. I'm not saying EVERYTHING made in USA is the best. But these particular amps were built in the USA like tanks and I have a lot experience with Peavey's Chinese manufacturing. While decent, they are NOT built like tanks. That, and less attention to detail. The amount of times I've had amps in the shop with missing screws, glue residue, tolex not finished neatly, things not mounted straight, buttons not working properly etc.

Magnus Pym

Grudges rot the soul
I think the reason things built in China generally are lower quality than USA versions is that production is moved to China specifically to make them cheaper. They are built down to a price and it shows. While these amps may be as good as the old USA ones and the company wants to maintain quality while reducing costs I don't think the price drop from €1200 to €900 is a good sign.

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
I think the reason things built in China generally are lower quality than USA versions is that production is moved to China specifically to make them cheaper. They are built down to a price and it shows. While these amps may be as good as the old USA ones and the company wants to maintain quality while reducing costs I don't think the price drop from €1200 to €900 is a good sign.
I'm also wondering if the exact same components are used or if they are also going for cheaper alternatives. I do know from having visited amp factories in the past that a lot of Chinese production quality comes down to how well you instruct the factories and what quality control requirements you set to them. They will do it exactly how you tell them to do it, so if you don't stress quality control they will also not bother with it.

Magnus Pym

Grudges rot the soul
I'm also wondering if the exact same components are used or if they are also going for cheaper alternatives. I do know from having visited amp factories in the past that a lot of Chinese production quality comes down to how well you instruct the factories and what quality control requirements you set to them. They will do it exactly how you tell them to do it, so if you don't stress quality control they will also not bother with it.
I think to get that price difference they would have to cut a lot of corners.

SemiCullen

Still haven't got the hang of Thursdays
That's also what I assume. If that's true, then I think it's a shame.
There is a TV show here called Undercover Boss and in one of the episodes they went to Peavey. Hartley promised a lot of things and told his folks down in Meridian, Mississippi they'd always have jobs and shortly after the episode aired Peavey announced they were closing the majority of their U.S. manufacturing. I completely understand why a company has to make that move, but it was a pretty shitty thing to do.

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
There is a TV show here called Undercover Boss and in one of the episodes they went to Peavey. Hartley promised a lot of things and told his folks down in Meridian, Mississippi they'd always have jobs and shortly after the episode aired Peavey announced they were closing the majority of their U.S. manufacturing. I completely understand why a company has to make that move, but it was a pretty shitty thing to do.
I've seen that episode, but had forgotten about it. I've watched that show a few times. That is indeed a shitty thing to do. He did the same for Europe. They used to have their HQ in Corby, UK and distributed to all of Europe from there. Then, from one day to the next they shut it down. Only some Execs got to keep their jobs. That's also the main reason why Peavey was more difficult to get for about a year. They closed HQ down and did not have a plan for a distributor. It took a long time for them to set up new deals.

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
Colleague has been quiet all day. The one moment I need to read something with my full attention and would appreciate some quiet, he decided to start talking loudly, clean out his desk making lots of noise, bang his keyboard on his desk to get crums out.....seriously...this guy.

I know it's 2 days before he goes on holiday, but he tuned out from last week already.

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
So as seen in the GAS thread, I did a thing. Ordered it from Thomann, because they were cheapest. I e-mailed them, is it a new model or one from the showroom and do you guys do a quality check before shipping. They guaranteed it was a new one and said the distributors usually do the QC, so they don't. Ok. Fine. I received the guitar yesterday. My first reaction was FUCK YOU THOMANN!

There was a big crack in the paint at the neckplate. The pickups were scratched very badly. The setup was extremely poor. I mean, I don't mind doing a little bit of setup on a new guitar to make it to my taste, but this was no setup at all. This could have been prevented with a simple QC. Now they spent money shipping it to me and they have to spend money getting it back, not to mention they wasted my time and disappointed me. I am not going to be ordering a replacement from Thomann.

Soap Distant

The Big Kahuna (again!)
So as seen in the GAS thread, I did a thing. Ordered it from Thomann, because they were cheapest. I e-mailed them, is it a new model or one from the showroom and do you guys do a quality check before shipping. They guaranteed it was a new one and said the distributors usually do the QC, so they don't. Ok. Fine. I received the guitar yesterday. My first reaction was FUCK YOU THOMANN!

There was a big crack in the paint at the neckplate. The pickups were scratched very badly. The setup was extremely poor. I mean, I don't mind doing a little bit of setup on a new guitar to make it to my taste, but this was no setup at all. This could have been prevented with a simple QC. Now they spent money shipping it to me and they have to spend money getting it back, not to mention they wasted my time and disappointed me. I am not going to be ordering a replacement from Thomann.
I know a lot of people have no problem with Thomann, but I'm not a fan. They spend a lot of money getting YouTubers to shill for them in an attempt to make them seem anything other than the cut-price box-shifters they are. Their own-brand guitars (HB, obviously) are made in the same factory as Vintage guitars, but clearly have less QC applied, in order to lower the prices. A poor-man's Andertons IMO.

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
I know a lot of people have no problem with Thomann, but I'm not a fan. They spend a lot of money getting YouTubers to shill for them in an attempt to make them seem anything other than the cut-price box-shifters they are. Their own-brand guitars (HB, obviously) are made in the same factory as Vintage guitars, but clearly have less QC applied, in order to lower the prices. A poor-man's Andertons IMO.
I prefer the local Mom & Pop shop, but they don't stock these, and the price difference was too big, so I decided to go with Thomann. I did find a video about Anderton's doing QC. Does anybody know if they still do that?

I don't understand why you wouldn't QC everything. When I worked at the shop I checked EVERYTHING from €150 starter guitars to €3500 Custom Shop stuff. Everything went through the same QC routine.

Soap Distant

The Big Kahuna (again!)
I prefer the local Mom & Pop shop, but they don't stock these, and the price difference was too big, so I decided to go with Thomann. I did find a video about Anderton's doing QC. Does anybody know if they still do that?

I don't understand why you wouldn't QC everything. When I worked at the shop I checked EVERYTHING from €150 starter guitars to €3500 Custom Shop stuff. Everything went through the same QC routine.
When you outsource manufacturing, the conversation usually goes something like:

"How many out of each batch do you want us to check? If we check 1 in 10, the finished product will cost you £100 per item. If we check 1 in 100, the cost drops to £60 per item"

Guess which option most companies go with...